apple watch hard fall detection?

StreetFight3r

FB.jpg.664e799fb33839a263b9dd118af1172a.jpg

1189326016_applewatch1.jpg.a93ff8e84de7a3ca85c81bd3d8bb6df1.jpg1922025604_applewatch3.thumb.jpg.81195c9b6f32e0e814690a3f5fab41e2.jpg

just a facebook post i saw and thought itl be good to share here for those with elderly parents n never knew abt this function cos i dont. i dont have an apple watch too becos im using android. it might be useful for those with elderly parents. track their location?? setup the hard fall detection. now my question is the watch is badly damaged on the face hence it can detect a hard fall but when if the person falls and hit the head without damaging the watch can it still detect? this is still an interesting device to have. always thought it was way too overpriced. there are some cheap smart watches in the market but mayb not withthe same capabilities as the apple watch

apple fall detection

If Apple Watch Series 4 or later detects a hard fall while you're wearing your watch, it taps you on the wrist, sounds an alarm, and displays an alert. You can choose to contact emergency services or dismiss the alert by pressing the Digital Crown, tapping Close in the upper-left corner, or tapping "I'm OK." 

watchos5-1-emergency-services-fall-alert.jpg.df9c0d045068181e675d0a5b56d0d11b.jpg

If your Apple Watch detects that you're moving, it waits for you to respond to the alert and won't automatically call emergency services. If your watch detects that you have been immobile for about a minute, it will make the call automatically. After the call ends, your watch sends a message to your emergency contacts with your location letting them know that your watch detected a hard fall and dialed emergency services. Your watch gets your emergency contacts from your Medical ID.

Some countries and regions have multiple emergency service numbers. For these countries, Apple Watch will call the number associated with ambulance services.

What happens if your Apple Watch detects that you're immobile

If your Apple Watch detects that you're immobile for about a minute, it begins a 30-second countdown, while tapping you on the wrist and sounding an alert. The alert gets louder, so that you or someone nearby can hear it. If you don't want to call emergency services, tap Cancel. When the countdown ends, your Apple Watch automatically contacts emergency services. 

When the call connects, your Apple Watch plays an audio message that informs emergency services that your Apple Watch detected a hard fall and then it shares your current location as latitude and longitude coordinates. The first time the message plays, the audio is at full volume, but then the volume is reduced so that you, or someone nearby, can talk to the responder. The message continues to play until you tap Stop Recorded Message or the call ends. 

ios13-iphone-xs-watch-my-watch-emergency-sos.thumb.jpg.963a7d151a31e4b75a5f563849ee05de.jpg

Turn fall detection on or off

Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, then tap the My Watch tab. 

Tap Emergency SOS.

Turn Fall Detection on or off. 

If you've entered your age when you set up your Apple Watch or in the Health app and you're age 65 and over, this feature automatically turns on.

Apple Watch cannot detect all falls. The more physically active you are, the more likely you are to trigger fall detection due to high impact activity that can appear to be a fall. 

ios13-iphone-xs-health-account-medical-id-edit-info.thumb.jpg.e390e83ca75ecd61fb0db4ffd2484358.jpg

Set up your Medical ID and add emergency contacts

Open Settings on your iPhone, then tap Health > Medical ID.

Tap Edit. 

Enter your date of birth and other health information.

To add an emergency contact, tap the add button  under emergency contacts. Tap a contact, then add their relationship. 

To remove an emergency contact, tap the remove button  next to the contact, then tap Delete.

To make your Medical ID available from the Lock screen, turn on Show When Locked. In an emergency, this gives information to people who want to help.

Tap Done.

You can't set emergency services as an emergency contact. 

other advantages of having an apple watch

- fitness tracker

- easier to find iphone, tap a button and get a "ping" sound even if your phone set to silent

- customise list of things to notify you about. Phone set to new mail notifications. Watch customise to new mail from people on my VIP list-your wife, family). So if your phone makes noise and you're not not very busy you can take a look. but if your watch bings, you have to look even if you are busy. 

- you dont have to constantly be carrying your phone. keep inside bag dont need take out. noisy environment dont need worry cannot hear cos your watch will tap you. 

- great to take on runs. dont need to bring phone

- a lot of info on such small face. can see weather temp, date, time and notifications

- great for quick at a glance notifications. esp while in a meeting

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Suddenly I woke up the idea that I need to get one medical alert smartwatch for my dad.[blush]

Time to start shopping for one...but an Android OS one..[:p][laugh][laugh] 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1