British Travel Firm Thomas Cook collapses

PSP415

Alot of big UK businesses r in the brink of collapse, a matter of time nia, the glory of the former British empire is long gone but still got HK ginna ask them for help.. lol.

• Praise 3

14 minutes ago, Kusje said:

What is a traveller's cheque?

Similar to a cashier's order which u can exchange for cash at authorised or designated merchants.

Technically, requires drawee to fill in personal particulars before can be encashed.

In a bygone or dinosaur age, hehe, safer than hard cash when travelling overseas.

Of course got to pay commission to Thomas Cook when purchasing the cheques. 

Safe ride. 

Cheers 

• Praise 2

I'm familiar with TC but I'd thought they'd gone under a long time ago to be frank.

Dinosaur business. 

My dad used to get traveller's cheques from them when he still used to travel for conferences. That was many decades ago. I've never used a single traveller's cheque in my life.

Travel agents' days are numbered and the numbers don't range very high. 

• Praise 3

7 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

I'm familiar with TC but I'd thought they'd gone under a long time ago to be frank.

Dinosaur business. 

My dad used to get traveller's cheques from them when he still used to travel for conferences. That was many decades ago. I've never used a single traveller's cheque in my life.

Travel agents' days are numbered and the numbers don't range very high. 

travel agencies got to evolve.

Think Insight/Trafalgar still doing ok

Chan Brothers here in SG is doing roaring business focusing on premium experiences.

• Praise 1

Before credit cards came in TC was the only form of safe cash to carry to do shopping or pay for anything I did buy them on my trip to UK 35 years back , was like carrying a Cheque book 

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 6

16 hours ago, BanCoe said:

I think in Sg Thomas Cook remittance dept was taken over by Western Union many years back , if I recall correctly 

Just ike AMEX travel 

Who still remembers Diners Card?

• Praise 3

13 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

Just ike AMEX travel 

Who still remembers Diners Card?

By that same token like Carte Blanche and JCB cards ; Diners at one time ( about 10-15 years back ) became like a pariah Card .... merchants don’t want to accept it cos of delayed payments and now still like no focus I use it once a year only for car inspections discount 🤣🤣 and pay the road tax so that I can accumulate the minimum spend to get the Vicom inspection 

• Praise 7

28 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

By that same token like Carte Blanche and JCB cards ; Diners at one time ( about 10-15 years back ) became like a pariah Card .... merchants don’t want to accept it cos of delayed payments and now still like no focus I use it once a year only for car inspections discount 🤣🤣 and pay the road tax so that I can accumulate the minimum spend to get the Vicom inspection 

That I did not know. How does that work ? How much discount off the usual price for diners? my inspection coming up in dec.

But going to be cart before the horse as no inspection, cannot renew roadtax. So must use to pay insurance first ?

Edited by Sdf4786k

10 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

That I did not know. How does that work ? How much discount off the usual price for diners? my inspection coming up in dec.

But going to be cart before the horse as no inspection, cannot renew roadtax. So must use to pay insurance first ?

If I’m not wrong $26/- rebate off vicom inspection per one car per year subject that you incur $1200/- spending ( so I pay road tax) using diners at post office usually 

• Praise 6

49 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Same same, used their travellers cheques long long time ago.

YouTrip is the new travellers cheque now

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1