DECAT AND TUNNING

OneyeKing

Hello, all. I need some advise regarding some issue i have with my workshop. 

This are the few service i ask them to do, i spend thousands dollar to get it done, but its wasn't done and instead revert back. 

- change air intake pipe $300

- decat $400

- tuning $1070

After changing air intake pipe, 1st engine light come out, rpm drop up and down and my car stall (auto) , he told me need clean throttle body. 2nd time same issue he told me need tuning. (after decat and tuning) 3rd time, same issue he told me is my oxygen sensor got problem. In the first place i thinking he should have check it instead of dragging it. 

During the 3rd time, he ask me to go down his workshop to fix the engine light problem. I went to get it fix, instead it never worked. After awhile he say he go ask the tuning workshop then get back to me. Few days later he say will put back my cat. And he say he will retune my car also. Do you guys think this is appropriate? Can i ask for refund? Because I am thinking that i actually paying something but not getting it done. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I remember previously when I replaced my header, straight through cat, modified to quad exhaust and tuning, the check-light also appear.

The tuning workshop told me is normal.  To solve this issue, they installed an adapter sending signal to the newly tuned ECU for the new perimeter (there is a term for it, I forgotten).

There after, all problem solved. 

Like what bro Turboflat4 ask, is better if you indicate "What car? Which shop? What parts and what type tuning they do"?

• Praise 1

What a noob workshop.

If the bore size of the air intake manifold is increased compared to stock pipe size it will caused the idling rpm to be irratic...like what TS mentioned. It will be easier to rectify by using the same pipe size as stock.

Increasing more air flow or increasing pipe size be it air intake or exhaust side you have to tune for more fuel to acheive the 12-13:1 air/fuel ratio. If need to you will have to use bigger cc fuel injectors, bigger fuel pump and fuel rails depending on what you are modding. Increasing more air alone will only run the engine too lean. It will cause a lot more problem by overheating the engine.

Edited by Watwheels

If you are still driving the Impreza 1.5, get it reverted and re-tuned back to stock. Get back the $1070 (I wonder what the tuner can tune anyway) and don't think of modifying it anymore. 

Last but not least, let us know which workshop and tuner. 

I'm driving subaru impreza 1.5r, my first car. I went to Dynamics Mechanic at woodlands, which tuner I'm not sure already its at sin ming there thats all i know. I paid him to do decat and custom tuning i never really go ask, because I'm not really sure also. I only trust him because he is first workshop i went to. 

Edited by OneyeKing

1 hour ago, OneyeKing said:

I'm driving subaru impreza 1.5r, my first car. I went to Dynamics Mechanic at woodlands, which tuner I'm not sure already its at sin ming there thats all i know. I paid him to do decat and custom tuning i never really go ask, because I'm not really sure also. I only trust him because he is first workshop i went to. 

What were your expectations when the WS suggested a change of 1) air intake piping, 2) decat and 3) ECU tuning? Better performance (torque & horses), fuel consumption and perhaps a smoother ride? With that amount spent, did the WS guarantee objective improvements, perhaps via dyno charts? Did they also mention to you the risks and hazards involved? How did the tuner tune the stock ECU? These are the questions you need to ask prior to handing the car over in the first place. 

I will not go into details on how 1) & 2) can give you CEL but the WS should know better. For tuning, ask them in detail, how they access the ECU and what kind of "custom tuning" they performed. If they cannot give a straight answer, request for a refund. 

2 hours ago, Naimed said:

What were your expectations when the WS suggested a change of 1) air intake piping, 2) decat and 3) ECU tuning? Better performance (torque & horses), fuel consumption and perhaps a smoother ride? With that amount spent, did the WS guarantee objective improvements, perhaps via dyno charts? Did they also mention to you the risks and hazards involved? How did the tuner tune the stock ECU? These are the questions you need to ask prior to handing the car over in the first place. 

I will not go into details on how 1) & 2) can give you CEL but the WS should know better. For tuning, ask them in detail, how they access the ECU and what kind of "custom tuning" they performed. If they cannot give a straight answer, request for a refund. 

WS tell me i will expecting alittle more performance and abit more fuel consumption. But end state i get better fuel consumption than before. Yes there was an improve of 10hp (i have the dyno chart pic) and better fuel consumption. But the checklight was there, after i let them try to install something to my car to remove the checklight issue, my car feel heavy and fuel consumption was bad. His own mechanic tell me my car need retune, but the workshop owner insist try one week first. I'm actually fine with checklight being there. But my workshop say they will remove it because by right not supposed to have after tuning. They never explain to me any risk or hazard. Only about inspection thats all. Regarding what custom tuning they did to my car, will go ask them when i go down they're workshop. 

Have been to DM Woodlands for tuning and hardware installation and feel that they are one of the better workshop out there, the boss is approachable and knowledgeable given the fact that once my alternator was faulty and car seemed sluggish in changing gears, others suggested that my gearbox is slipping but the DM boss diagnosed it as alternator issue after some troubleshooting and all was well after that.

Just my 2 cents and I'm not affiliated to them in anyway.

23 hours ago, Thesecondnoel said:

Have been to DM Woodlands for tuning and hardware installation and feel that they are one of the better workshop out there, the boss is approachable and knowledgeable given the fact that once my alternator was faulty and car seemed sluggish in changing gears, others suggested that my gearbox is slipping but the DM boss diagnosed it as alternator issue after some troubleshooting and all was well after that.

Just my 2 cents and I'm not affiliated to them in anyway.

Interesting. What did you installed and tuned? Did the WS explain how the the alternator affect gear change or TCU? 

On 12/9/2020 at 3:52 PM, Naimed said:

Interesting. What did you installed and tuned? Did the WS explain how the the alternator affect gear change or TCU? 

Nothing interesting just issues resolved, symptoms seemed like gear change is hesitant but possibly the failing alternator caused the sluggish feel, WS explained but can't recall the details.

Just happy that the diagnosis was right and all was well.

they basically did nothing and wasted ur time, go get ur money back

btw 1.5L NA car save ur money to buy a car with more potential in the future better la

I'm sorry, I just wanted to say: anyone who left that typo "tunning" up for so long deserves severe "canning".

Like baked beans or preserved peaches style. 😂😂😂

↡ Advertisement