This is why u dont lend car or money to ur friends

StreetFight3r

From Facebook

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/singapore/friends-like-these-man-at-a-loss-after-pal-refuses-to-pay-sdollar176k-damages-following-car-accident/ar-AAHA7P6?ocid=spartandhp&fbclid=IwAR0bJtAeizlUU4T47eypa1jM89VAXbI3Pm0euCnf5emaTlEpOThVByZcXZ0

Hi all, this is going to be a long read but please take the time to read thru.

So the story is that on the 25th June my dear friend Szeto St wants to borrow my car from me to use it on the 27th. As I was overseas at the point of time I agreed to lend it to him, it was not the first time I have lend it to him so I entrusted him with my car.

On the 28th morning 8am he gave me a missed call, so when I call him back he told me that he got into an accident with my car then he said that the one driving was his friend. I entrusted my car to him and yet he asked his friend (Dominic) whom I don't even know who he is to drive my car back on that day, I was still very nice at that point of time I said wait till I reach sg then we settle.

So I came back on the 29th I meet them on the 30th, they didn't have a solution for me. So we briefly spoke how we should settle it as the car was total loss, so dom suggest to give him more time. And so on the 2th July, we both agreed that he will pay me $17600 as my losses under the condition that I scrap my car. And he requested to give him a month for him to find the money, so me being nice I agreed to it. Once we sign the agreement I proceed to tow my car to the scrap yard and handle all the paperworks and send him documents from lta that I have scraped my car once I received it which was on the 8th July. And so I continue to wait for the 2nd aug to come, on the 30th July I texted Dom to ask on the 2nd aug what time should I meet him and he asked me to wait. So I texted szeto about this he told me not to worry why I scared, and I obliged and waited.

So on the 2nd aug the worst nightmare happens, I texted him in the afternoon and Dom said he will let me know by 7pm. 7pm I called him and he simply told me this "我没有钱,你要我怎样。你去small claim 我咯" one simple reply and he expect to get away with the shit he create?

Long story short, two days later he say he will only pay me 11k but thru installment of $500 every month. Which I believe nobody will accept.

So now I'm stuck, both szeto and dom is not going to pay me any money. I believe that at the end of the day, the responsibility's szeto. Out of goodwill I lent him my car and he choose to ask his friend to drive. 好心被雷劈

Please help me to share this post and make the two of them famous, much appreciated.

1.thumb.jpg.e7715fdff875b9ef8fe47db461b16977.jpg2.thumb.jpg.8ed693e9c8b6a4b91542580576cf24ef.jpg3.thumb.jpg.dcc297b9b22cf23216659976dba956ff.jpg4.thumb.jpg.bc0751d20d7bf2d64d7080542e0117b5.jpg5.thumb.jpg.5bb4b3f4b3c45f4e2a3bc69f8ae80a27.jpg6.thumb.jpg.45aa167fe0bd0363927ee21bb014b708.jpg7.thumb.jpg.0496472c42dd2ea814326fed78d23e4f.jpg8.thumb.jpg.1e1c3f9cf0d3990724518b2acbde6ee5.jpg9.thumb.jpg.cc08cd7b01e48a21ef1aba11307c9899.jpg10.thumb.jpg.341a0091e380a055508d0bb7357e9ae2.jpg11.thumb.jpg.4afaaee5b925048f66ff55a008d769d1.jpg12.thumb.jpg.77c9513bb08cd50a63352a427e439f3c.jpg13.thumb.jpg.775f5814261f20778e3c0ab13ddc854c.jpg14.thumb.jpg.3abfabe4dbf95e190e67ddef637e15b8.jpg15.thumb.jpg.9c5ecaf260f82ec83cc1e0244e1beeb2.jpg16.thumb.jpg.d62716288ee7542b6706d04b27cb6615.jpg17.thumb.jpg.5ec01757bd406c682a6c7371179ea500.jpg18.thumb.jpg.0438071914e54877ee102b40f84ccf67.jpg19.thumb.jpg.30b0138f042248683fe0b8ef27ada41b.jpg20.thumb.jpg.4f065792b7431ef68c015db99bdbdace.jpg21.thumb.jpg.ad5bc227592b22d5d83ce4c1aeed99ac.jpg22.thumb.jpg.bba89440fc7aa38babbdfb70404b6ce6.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5
  • Shocked 1

Lend money to "friends" just lend the amount you are willing to give him/her anyway. If ever returned, it's a bonus. 

Car? Only if lao pok chia about to scrap one. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 7

I did borrow a car from my wife’s uncle back then for our wedding day. Gave a red packet for his help .. and subsequently he made a small jackpot!!!

4D first prize for our wedding age and also consol prize for the wedding wine bottle cock stopper!!

and his car plate number strike as well!!!.. 

we gave him anothersmall gift afterwards ... LOL...

Edited by Mrmilktooth
  • Praise 2

This type of problem is becos of few reasons:

1. now people everyday bro here bro there, then think everyone is blood brother and anything is ok - without even knowing the person well.
  2. when shit hits the fan, then the real side comes out and responsibility and accountability are words that have never been taught before.
  3. SG so stressed, pple on the roads when got a car in hand, all treat it as power, and must show the world how powerful they are.
  4. those who need borrow cars, are likely (caveat: not all, but most) not used to driving and not familiar/good with driving.
  5. if young, not used to nor good at driving, suddenly is in control of a car, then the car is decently powerful = recipe for disaster.

i also got borrowed cars before when younger, from uncle and cousin. Also got lent relative and friend cars before, and am fortunate that there was none of the above bad outcomes...

• Praise 5

As with lending anything to friends or relatives, i decide if i am ok not to receive it back or i have to stomach it when things go wrong. If the consequence is beyond what i can stomach then i take the responsibility not to lend. The responsibility at this point is myself. 

In this case the lender also has responsibility. Trying to shame the other party is not the right thing to do. Like what he said, he has no money what u want him to do. 

15 minutes ago, 13177 said:

The morale of the story is never lend your car to anyone? Anyway, thought insurance got cover for anyone who drive the car?

Depend on the policy you buy.

Some cheaper one don't cover any driver or driver below certain age.

Also depend if your car is fully paid or still service loan.  Worst if take high loan.  The total lost value may not even enough to cover the outstanding loan.

• Praise 1

32 minutes ago, Mrmilktooth said:

I did borrow a car from my wife’s uncle back then for our wedding day. Gave a red packet for his help .. and subsequently he made a small jackpot!!!

4D first prize for our wedding age and also consol prize for the wedding wine bottle cock stopper!!

and his car plate number strike as well!!!.. 

we gave him anothersmall gift afterwards ... LOL...

borrowed my friend's porsche for wedding. haha passed him my altis LOL 

• Praise 2

He is right to say his friend is no friend but he is also not much of a friend with his type of maths.  Sibei calculative.  Road tax probably can take back if scrapped ownself and he is billing $1.1k admin fee for his new car loan.  Wahaha...

Got friends like this, think must go church more often. Okok... All of them are fxxked up friends.  

14 minutes ago, 13177 said:

The morale of the story is never lend your car to anyone? Anyway, thought insurance got cover for anyone who drive the car?

It's total loss.

Even if got insurance cover, claim the 'victim''s own insurance, or got third-part? Somemore was it the friend's friend's fault? If so, the victim's insurance will tio claim (and pay) till siao..., then NCD gone (if got no protection), next renewal premium sky high too (or worse, nobody wan cover)...

Plus the loss of use, inconvenience, etc...

And now the victim is in a bind. He must have initially said car was driven under his knowledge. Now that the 2 A-holes refuse to pay, he can either engage legal debt collector to chase (he needs to fork out money), or LLST. Had he said driven without his knowledge, then will be police case, but insurance claim would have been a problem too...

Really suay...

• Praise 3
  • Shocked 1

giphy.gif

Usually if ppl pass me their privately owned car, I will just drive abit to take picture then park it at home liao. Too stressful to drive other ppl car. 

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 8
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

Lend money to "friends" just lend the amount you are willing to give him/her anyway. If ever returned, it's a bonus. 

Car? Only if lao pok chia about to scrap one. 

I always tell ppl the same thing... Once you lend ppl money,  just don't expect or to come back. 

*i passed an ex-colleague $1500 when he said his mother got cancer and needed money...  Never heard from him since ... 10years liow...  Hopefully his mother is fine now. 

• Praise 11
  • Haha! 1

37 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

He is right to say his friend is no friend but he is also not much of a friend with his type of maths.  Sibei calculative.  Road tax probably can take back if scrapped ownself and he is billing $1.1k admin fee for his new car loan.  Wahaha...

Got friends like this, think must go church more often. Okok... All of them are fxxked up friends.  

When everybody is friend friend, money can discuss. When people start to fan lian, then every cent also want to count. 

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

When everybody is friend friend, money can discuss. When people start to fan lian, then every cent also want to count. 

Think this apply to any relationship. Even true blood, when start to fan lian, every cent also count.

↡ Advertisement