Cyclist, 65, died after accident with e-scooter rider in Bedok North

Ender

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

It would be sad if for political expediency reasons, we ban PMD and punish the many (those who used the device to make a living and as a mobility aid) who have always ride safely, registered their PMDs and followed all safety rules put in place because some YPs have big balls but puny little brains. 

Sure the food delivery guy can walk but will it cost more given productivity and loading will drop? Will the food arrive cold?  Many here may not need food delivery services cause we have our own wheels but many others don’t.  

These food delivery platform business increasingly allows our hawkers and many smaller scale restaurants to compete against the likes of Pizza Hut, KFC and McDonald’s, who have always had the scale and volume to exclusively offer delivery of their own products to consumers for decades,  until now.

The food delivery business is however a threat to some F&B business (ie. steakhouse) and will possibly hurt the retail sector further.  Shopping mails are increasingly dependent on F&B and lifestyles/ service business to survive, food delivery will take away more traffic.

But you can’t stop technology.  Without PMD, it will be something else, maybe drones?  Good or bad, Grab is still giving our previously fat cat taxi companies a run for their money.  So I think Deliveroo, Food Panda and Grab Food can’t be bad for consumers. 

I think delivering food and PHV are really not jobs of preference for most, as they are really low productivity and no income growth for the individuals. If the garmen is worth its salt, it would have created many better jobs to absorb these excess labour, instead of allowing allowing PHV and PMD to terrorize others in the road and on the pavements respectively.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

I think it is that the food delivery people are underclass people. They have not succeeded with the skills or mindset to be able to merge into the current Singapore society.

They are 'outsiders' in terms of language and values. They cannot cope or want to cope.

Personally, i know i will crash the device even at 6km/hour. Thats me and my cerebellum. Hence i stay clear of these mobility devices.

Some of the users do not care if they crash nor believe that it would be their fault.  Somebody else cause them to crash.

I just do not want crashes to happen.

1. Temporary ban until a cohesive structure is in place, say one year. This one year nobody die or get injured due to mobility devices leh.

2. Responsibility, passive id such as IU tied to each individual pmd. So many riders wear face mask and hats now. Can be a commercial return to sell optional portable readers to pedestrians to capture IU like device.  Data captured such as time, model, registration and speed of device. A smartphone app via bluetooth would do as well. Or one of those jewellery like format. See if anybody loan their pmd to a friend's friend.

3. I do not favour naming individuals, it very bad. Remember the guy who got burnt by the nut? Its not right, as we do not know the entire story of how this farce of a pmd policy came to be. Solve the problem dun cause horrible things to happen.

Edited by Datsun366
  • Praise 3

6 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

I think delivering food and PHV are really not jobs of preference for most, as they are really low productivity and no income growth for the individuals. If the garmen is worth its salt, it would have created many better jobs to absorb these excess labour, instead of allowing allowing PHV and PMD to terrorize others in the road and on the pavements respectively.

Delivering by bicycle is better and safer?  At least it burns calories.  We should all go back to the bullock cart era and   perhaps abandon combustion and EV technology. wahaha...

Agree with you, like grab driving, such  delivery jobs are low value and may disappear one day but it helps to pay the bills for some. 

My point is it needs to be regulated and not banned.

Edited by Voodooman

Solution is clear. 

Next F1, include night PMD racing as a side show. it will be another first  for singapore.

Just imagine..

National geographic,  cnn, bbc, discovery channel all do programs featuring our racers. 

Sponsors will come forward developing PMD technology to the next level. 

Tourist numbers boom. 

The sport will go international and team Singapore will dominate. 

A sport that we FINALLYYYYYY don't need FT, in fact,  our si ginnas may even go overseas as FT racers for others. 

It will be a proud day in tbe history of our little island. 👍😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

Delivering by bicycle is better and safer?  At least it burns calories.  We should all go back to the bullock cart era and   perhaps abandon combustion and EV technology. wahaha...

Agree with you, like grab driving, such  delivery jobs are low value and may disappear one day but it helps to pay the bills for some. 

My point is it needs to be regulated and not banned.

Cycling/kick scooters within estates. Motorcycle for further distance or bulkier items. It can even be electrical motorcycles once the technology is mature enough to fit a decent size battery into a motorcycle. 

The environmental cost of lithium ion battery production, coal burning to produce electricity to charge these PMD has not even been discussed yet. Have we considered any proper environmentally safe Disposal of these lithium ion batteries? 

Have our people at the top of the food chain considered all these before allowing the influx of pmd and now scrambling to deal. With the aftermath? They had a chance to nib it in the bud at it's nascence, but failed to do so. How many more lives must be lost and family broken before they take firm hard action? 

I have never seen chewing gum kill anyone or land anyone in hospital, yet it was banned in a jiffy. 

The people at the top had their chance at regulating the PMDs...they evidently failed and it is time to ban. Period. 

• Praise 6

40 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

Cycling/kick scooters within estates. Motorcycle for further distance or bulkier items. It can even be electrical motorcycles once the technology is mature enough to fit a decent size battery into a motorcycle. 

The environmental cost of lithium ion battery production, coal burning to produce electricity to charge these PMD has not even been discussed yet. Have we considered any proper environmentally safe Disposal of these lithium ion batteries? 

Have our people at the top of the food chain considered all these before allowing the influx of pmd and now scrambling to deal. With the aftermath? They had a chance to nib it in the bud at it's nascence, but failed to do so. How many more lives must be lost and family broken before they take firm hard action? 

I have never seen chewing gum kill anyone or land anyone in hospital, yet it was banned in a jiffy. 

The people at the top had their chance at regulating the PMDs...they evidently failed and it is time to ban. Period. 

But...but...but...our Sengkang West doc say PMD is good for the country and it's citizens wor

Screenshot_20190930-090829_Firefox.jpg

• Angry 1
  • Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, Soya said:

But...but...but...our Sengkang West doc say PMD is good for the country and it's citizens wor

if really car lite hoh COE will be $1 and there be excess every round loh! whahahahahahaha.. with PHV car-lite my foot!

• Praise 2

24 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

I think he needs to talk to the health minister first before spouting nonsense .... National programs all clash... 

https://www.healthhub.sg/programmes/37/nsc

Screenshot_20190930-094109_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f3eb5953dd139cf298c0f8f279ba7db4.jpg

These high and mighty type must challenge the idiot to go stand in the middle of a foot path where PMDs rule.  See how long before he is knocked down or get scared. 

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Vratenza said:

This article says it all.

As I always said, talk is free when it didn’t happen to you or your family members. Come back and say the same thing if it happen.

BAN. Period.

Road hazard outside, fire hazard inside.

Use a bicycle (which I have seen more recently) or get a proper motorcycle.

9F75F3CE-8340-429D-963D-C3217F823791.jpeg

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Voodooman said:

It would be sad if for political expediency reasons, we ban PMD and punish the many (those who used the device to make a living and as a mobility aid) who have always ride safely, registered their PMDs and followed all safety rules put in place because some YPs have big balls but puny little brains. 

Sure the food delivery guy can walk but will it cost more given productivity and loading will drop? Will the food arrive cold?  Many here may not need food delivery services cause we have our own wheels but many others don’t.  

These food delivery platform business increasingly allows our hawkers and many smaller scale restaurants to compete against the likes of Pizza Hut, KFC and McDonald’s, who have always had the scale and volume to exclusively offer delivery of their own products to consumers for decades,  until now.

The food delivery business is however a threat to some F&B business (ie. steakhouse) and will possibly hurt the retail sector further.  Shopping mails are increasingly dependent on F&B and lifestyles/ service business to survive, food delivery will take away more traffic.

But you can’t stop technology.  Without PMD, it will be something else, maybe drones?  Good or bad, Grab is still giving our previously fat cat taxi companies a run for their money.  So I think Deliveroo, Food Panda and Grab Food can’t be bad for consumers. 

Finally. Someone who thinks of the little guys.

10 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Saying food delivery can’t be done without PMD is just BS.

Use a bicycle or a proper motorcycle, like last time. Simple as that.

Should ban cars and demolish MRT too.

Saying we can't survive without those is also BS. We can learn to walk to the next village just like last time.

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

This article says it all.

As I always said, talk is free when it didn’t happen to you or your family members.

BAN. Period.

Road hazard outside, fire hazard inside.

Use a bicycle (which I have seen more recently) or get a proper motorcycle.

9F75F3CE-8340-429D-963D-C3217F823791.jpeg

Wow I wonder if LPM dared to show up...at the funeral...

• Praise 3

53 minutes ago, Kklim said:

3am. Tanah Merah Coastal Road. Guess he wasn't delivering food. Last-mile transport indeed.

I tot police pathologist would indicate the speed he fell..

2 hours ago, Vratenza said:

Valid points. The authority are definitely a little behind the curve on this issue but to ban it and punish everyone, including law abiding users, becoz some YPs who couldn’t care less is also not fair.  Acknowledge people are getting injured  but when motorised cars was first invented, there were accidents and injuries too. 

don't quite agree that electric is more polluting than conventional technology.  Our electricity are almost entirely produced using natural gas and increasingly solar (still small but growing).

20 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Valid points. The authority are definitely a little behind the curve on this issue but to ban it and punish everyone, including law abiding users, becoz some YPs who couldn’t care less is also not fair.  Acknowledge people are getting injured  but when motorised cars was first invented, there were accidents and injuries too. 

don't quite agree that electric is more polluting than conventional technology.  Our electricity are almost entirely produced using natural gas and increasingly solar (still small but growing).

Motorised cars invention replaces horse carriages.... Accidents and injuries are still aplenty daily through the world despite decades of rules and traffic regulations. 

What makes motorised scooters "safer" than motorcycles which need to have helmets, insurance and riding license? 

The law makers were given the chance to regulate them, they had been sitting in their hands for dunnoe what reason... Excuses abound... 

I concede that natural gase burning is cleaner than coal... What i meant to convey is burning of fossil fuel needs to be taken into account when talking about electricity being "clean" tech. Until the day comes when we can harness solar or wind power fully then it will make sense to talk about clean energy with these electrical. Pmd. What about the carbon foot prints in producing the lithium ion battery? It is another topic for another day. 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Kklim said:

3am. Tanah Merah Coastal Road. Guess he wasn't delivering food. Last-mile transport indeed.

It was his last mile indeed.....RIP

• Praise 1

These PMDs are incredibly useful in our local climate. 

Though >95% of the riders i meet are responsible. But they shouldn't be on our sidewalks unless there is something dedicated for them.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1