Difficult PSLE 2019 Math Question!

Pratakosong

What we see in the report are 3 cited questions. We do not know the remaining 14 of 17 questions and their level of difficulty.

If the front questions already exhausted their brain cells, the last question will seem like a final KO punch. Flat out. 

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:03 AM, Tianmo said:

I think they quite advance there.

My son has a 8 gang study grp, and they do homework together and discuss questions in that grp every night.  He also never come ask me any questions regarding his school work, or mayb he know ask me as good as no ask, waste time asking only....[:p][laugh][laugh]

So now ou know that you are useless dad ....... :grin:

48 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Need to drill myself when the time comes. Haha struggling with all these questions

RI student, should not be a problem for you. Initially is blur, but after solving a few papers, you should our next mcf primary school math guru for the parent of mcf here. 😀

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Ender said:

RI student, should not be a problem for you. Initially is blur, but after solving a few papers, you should our next mcf primary school math guru for the parent of mcf here. 😀

My wife is actually stronger in math and logic than me. 

But yeah lah, i have expectations for my kids. And lao peh, lao bu have to match up with the expectations we set.

I should be able to handle anything up to O levels. A levels then buay sai. Haha i got B for C maths in JC. Only one in my class -_-

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

15 hours ago, Dleodleo said:

Aiyo!  I dun understand why these parents make a big huha about the Math paper.  It's already over and why can't they just relax?  There's sure few difficult questions in national exam.  These parents must be the kiasu one who scare these questions will affect their chances of getting A*.

My son is P6 this year and he's weak in Math.  I dun even bother about these difficult questions.  Dun knw just skip or anyhow do lor.  

To me as long as he pass his PSLE and promote to secondary school and dun go normal tech can liao.

PSLE is already over!  It's party time! 😜😜😜

wah...celebrate liao

ri or hci for him?

🤣

4 hours ago, Aloe111 said:

All's not lost. Your son's answer is almost there, except that 1.53 is the discounted unit price. 

The regular unit price is 1.53/0.85 = 1.80.

He should get partial marks for this qn.

Sometimes an irregular answer is reason to recheck e.g. at primary school level, cost of simple goods is unlikely to be an odd number like 1.53. Assuming the question setter is conscientious.

It's ok....he already put in effort. 

I wash my hands liao.....no more psle maths for me forever......hip hip hooray ka Chang but tay.........lolllll.

• Haha! 1

34 minutes ago, Enye said:

wah...celebrate liao

ri or hci for him?

🤣

wahaha his prelim results can't even go Express.  Can go Normal Academic I 偷笑 already. 🤣🤣🤣

• Praise 5

34 minutes ago, Dleodleo said:

wahaha his prelim results can't even go Express.  Can go Normal Academic I 偷笑 already. 🤣🤣🤣

wah...prelim also can use to calculate t score?

how ah?

😬👍

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

Question: So those ang mo dua kee foreign schools in Singapore like United World College, ISS, Canadian School, Australian School, Lycee Franais de SG and so on, do they have such challenging papers to take for their 12 years olds?? 

• Haha! 1

8 hours ago, Lala81 said:

My wife is actually stronger in math and logic than me. 

But yeah lah, i have expectations for my kids. And lao peh, lao bu have to match up with the expectations we set.

I should be able to handle anything up to O levels. A levels then buay sai. Haha i got B for C maths in JC. Only one in my class -_-

I was able to help my son til sec 1. After that cannot liao. Can't get much replies for secondary a level math on KSP either. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

My gal is taking her O Levels this year.

I see her Anderson Sec A Maths Exam questions...…..faint faint faint...….no way I can learn this again.

Even my wife in the Science field says...…..why set the Chem questions so difficult!!!   Siao!!!!!!! 

• Praise 3

19 hours ago, Hiphiphoray said:

My gal is taking her O Levels this year.

I see her Anderson Sec A Maths Exam questions...…..faint faint faint...….no way I can learn this again.

Even my wife in the Science field says...…..why set the Chem questions so difficult!!!   Siao!!!!!!! 

Because the scores from the students get better and better. Schools and MOE also kanna challenged. Set too low all 100 marks also get complaint. Lousy government schools also get all As like RI how can? So, whose fault?

On 10/1/2019 at 11:06 PM, Dleodleo said:

Aiyo!  I dun understand why these parents make a big huha about the Math paper.  It's already over and why can't they just relax?  There's sure few difficult questions in national exam.  These parents must be the kiasu one who scare these questions will affect their chances of getting A*.

My son is P6 this year and he's weak in Math.  I dun even bother about these difficult questions.  Dun knw just skip or anyhow do lor.  

To me as long as he pass his PSLE and promote to secondary school and dun go normal tech can liao.

PSLE is already over!  It's party time! 😜😜😜

Same here. I am so quiet here because my son taking foundation maths, heng ah no such problem!  😆

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Turbocharged
On 10/1/2019 at 11:21 PM, Ender said:

After seeing the 3 questions, Two of them is within the PSLE syllabus. i.e. if they have done their homework,and extra consistent hard work to practice should be able to tackle. 

The triangle, especially part C, that is difficult.  I couldnt get that one too.. hahahaha.. 

The triangle is not hard lah...

The first answer is obvious which is 250 times 250.

The grey and white triangles ratio is not that tough. Even number of rows. You notice every two rows you get 2 extra grey triangles. So 250 rows is 250 extra grey triangles. 

It is really not that hard to see the pattern. I am going to test my P5 kid later I suspect she can do it.

She took 15 minutes to solve the semi circle question. 

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 2

38 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

The triangle is not hard lah...

The first answer is obvious which is 250 times 250.

The grey and white triangles ratio is not that tough. Even number of rows. You notice every two rows you get 2 extra grey triangles. So 250 rows is 250 extra grey triangles. 

It is really not that hard to see the pattern. I am going to test my P5 kid later I suspect she can do it.

She took 15 minutes to solve the semi circle question. 

You already mentioned you from gifted program. I would expect this type of pattern, sequence recognition comes easy for you.  The part C, i really couldn't figure within the exam duration constriant. This type are considered math Olympiad type of question. It's not taught in school, but exams do throw in one of these question.  I always tell my kids to put this type of question for last. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3