DFS Retrenchment

Throttle2

5 hours ago, Yewheng said:

If 80 months can retire lao.. 

4k x 80 = 320k.. 

But then it's not.. Every 1 year = 2 weeks, capped at 13yr which is 26weeks.. Max.. 

So 4k get about 20k for 40 years of working, an example only.. 

With $320k, how to retire?

unless that person is 92yrs old.....

muayhahaha

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

muayhahaha

Not everyone working more than 13 years get this type of package. I woukd consider this as special in Singapore context liao

7 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

muayhahaha

Worked for more then 40 years. = at least 60plus years old. Let's make it age 65. Then he sure have cpf right? With cpf plus 320k (but as we know he's not getting 320k but more like 20k) . Like that every month could spend at least 1k per month. 

Just everyday eat simple, travel take bus/train.. Maybe once a year travel to nearby countries. Okay what.. 

Edited by Yewheng

10 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

Worked for more then 40 years. = at least 60plus years old. Let's make it age 65. Then he sure have cpf right? With cpf plus 320k (but as we know he's not getting 320k but more like 20k) . Like that every month could spend at least 1k per month. 

Just everyday eat simple, travel take bus/train.. Maybe once a year travel to nearby countries. Okay what.. 

Gulp.........

okay..........

12 hours ago, Davidtch said:

I thought that's our current arrangement.  Does it work?

Well we can see what doesn't work as well.

In UK, the union leaders get paid to demand more pay for their workers eg. staff that work in the Tube.
In fact a public sector union leader is one of the highest paying jobs. And it simply makes them create never-ending wage disputes. Cos the more trouble they cause, the higher wages they get. Hence over there, every few years, u see the same union going/threatening strike. Just read the news regularly for years, and u can see it's a cycle.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1015256/hypocrisy-31-union-leaders-on-more-than-100-000-a-year

If u want strong labour laws, ours are mostly focused on making sure Employers pay the employees on time. Contribute to their CPF etc etc.

And the Obamas focus on Unions has some hidden agenda as unions are one of the major endorsements a US Politician need to get to do well.

This is tough ... I think this decade, the Govt has sent some real high flyers to do NTUC (the last 2 in mind). So they are noticing there needs to be a stronger focus there. But the actual merit of the labour debate is hard to say. U can be sure at least, Dyson came to Singapore because of less restrictive labour laws compared to the West and yet have the solid financial and legal structure here.

• Praise 4

37 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

n learn to sell Lolex watches or selling tissue lah for some people is a piece of cake  

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

10 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Well we can see what doesn't work as well.

In UK, the union leaders get paid to demand more pay for their workers eg. staff that work in the Tube.
In fact a public sector union leader is one of the highest paying jobs. And it simply makes them create never-ending wage disputes. Cos the more trouble they cause, the higher wages they get. Hence over there, every few years, u see the same union going/threatening strike. Just read the news regularly for years, and u can see it's a cycle.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1015256/hypocrisy-31-union-leaders-on-more-than-100-000-a-year

If u want strong labour laws, ours are mostly focused on making sure Employers pay the employees on time. Contribute to their CPF etc etc.

And the Obamas focus on Unions has some hidden agenda as unions are one of the major endorsements a US Politician need to get to do well.

This is tough ... I think this decade, the Govt has sent some real high flyers to do NTUC (the last 2 in mind). So they are noticing there needs to be a stronger focus there. But the actual merit of the labour debate is hard to say. U can be sure at least, Dyson came to Singapore because of less restrictive labour laws compared to the West and yet have the solid financial and legal structure here.

Unions are supposed to represent the workers. If the government is sending their high flyers there, are they representing the government or the workers? 

My view is that they are representing the govt while pretending to represent workers. They only represent workers when it is in the govt's interest. Whether one thinks it works or not, it is disingenous to claim that ours is a tripartite arrangement when there are only two parties involved in the discussion. 

Despite what their name claims, NTUC is a supermarket chain, an insurance company, etc. But not a union.

• Praise 5

6 minutes ago, Kusje said:

Unions are supposed to represent the workers. If the government is sending their high flyers there, are they representing the government or the workers? 

My view is that they are representing the govt while pretending to represent workers. They only represent workers when it is in the govt's interest. Whether one thinks it works or not, it is disingenous to claim that ours is a tripartite arrangement when there are only two parties involved in the discussion. 

Despite what their name claims, NTUC is a supermarket chain, an insurance company, etc. But not a union.

Agreed. Its just branded as tripartite. But it's not a meeting of equals. The worker component is much lower. 

Edited by Lala81

in every meeting big or small, everyone walks in with his/her own personal agenda

after their personal agenda has been satisfactorily addressed, then they will think of other people

work so long already still believe in altruistic people?

🤣

4 minutes ago, Enye said:

in every meeting big or small, everyone walks in with his/her own personal agenda

after their personal agenda has been satisfactorily addressed, then they will think of other people

There are genuinely altruistic people. But then they won't be in the meeting [:p]

15 hours ago, Victor68 said:

So, who is responsible for workers protection in your opinion and is our current system fair to workers? Married to the job is just an illustration of a person limited youth. You only have it once and you have given to that company. If the reward and appreciation isn't there, you can't take it back and have another try.

enterprises dont look at how much youth you gave to the company, they look at how much contribution you did to help in the growth of the entity. 

Reward and appreciation is base on merit, not base on  time spend.

Please dont give me your youth, I only want your ability. 

If every employee take the job as a marriage, every company will become an old folks home.[laugh][laugh][laugh]

and your youth? you didnt give it to the company, you sold it...

• Praise 5

14 hours ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Our unions are not strong.  They never really fight for workers.  I am comparing it to unions in other countries. 

When I was a young salesman, my boss was transferred from factory to head our team. And we all know the reason, he was chairman of the union, a strong one, and fighting very hard for the workers. 

when he came over to sales, he no longer can join the union, because he now white badge. 

That is what management can do to strong union leaders, PROMOTION...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Tianmo said:

When I was a young salesman, my boss was transferred from factory to head our team. And we all know the reason, he was chairman of the union, a strong one, and fighting very hard for the workers. 

when he came over to sales, he no longer can join the union, because he now white badge. 

That is what management can do to strong union leaders, PROMOTION...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

What is white badge?

8 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

In the UK, it used to be that good Union leaders have a high chance of joining either party as MP. This was prevalent in the 70s and 80s. But now over the last 2 decades, MPs are increasingly coming from political science interns who from straight out of school (Eton etc), go to internship or following policymakers in Downing street. then get recruited into either party.  So these folks are not dissimilar to the commonly accused high flyer MIW here.

• Praise 2

32 minutes ago, Enye said:

🤣

got lah,  got altruistic people fighting for cleaner and security guard. Now they have minimum wages.

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

got lah,  got altruistic people fighting for cleaner and security guard. Now they have minimum wages.

The perpetual cynic looks at everyone and doesn't realize that he's looking at an invisible mirror [rolleyes] 

When u use the eyes of a judge, everyone needs judgement.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

10 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

In the UK, it used to be that good Union leaders have a high chance of joining either party as MP. This was prevalent in the 70s and 80s. But now over the last 2 decades, MPs are increasingly coming from political science interns who from straight out of school (Eton etc), go to internship or following policymakers in Downing street. then get recruited into either party.  So these folks are not dissimilar to the commonly accused high flyer MIW here.

Last time most ppl BTC, those union leaders mostly got some proper education, now is very different liao. 

Last time farmers boy still got some chance, now is almost boh chance...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement