S’pore App Alerts You To Free Food Nearby So Leftover Buffets Won’t Go To Waste

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

image.thumb.png.88cc7e7a0ae114f889947bea006ff0df.png

S’pore App Alerts You To Free Food Nearby So Leftover Buffets Won’t Go To Waste

Source: https://mustsharenews.com/free-food-app/

Makan Rescue App Helps You Find Free Food Nearby

Ever walked past an event’s buffet spread and yearned for a plate of free food?

Now you can fulfil that wish with Makan Rescue, an app created by a group of Singaporeans which alerts users to leftover food nearby.

makan-rescue-app.jpg

The initiative which aims to curb food wastage is a win-win solution – no food gets thrown out, and people get to eat for free.

Extra buffet food for everyone

Events tend to cater more food than necessary perhaps out of precaution, but that means heaps of servings leftover.

What happens to the food then?

singapore-catering.jpg

Well, caterers often have no choice but to discard them, since the food which was prepared hours earlier could go bad soon.

That’s where hungry folks like us come in because we just can’t say no to free food.

Locate free food using Makan Rescue app

More than just alerting users of free food, Makan Rescue also locates the exact venue, along with photos of what the spreads look like.

makan-rescue-app-page.jpg

Users can also upload “missions” if they know of any leftover food that needs to be “rescued”.

makan-rescue-mission.jpg

Based on the sample photos uploaded so far, most of the missions seem to occur at tertiary institutions only, though there’s an “others” option too.

But local universities like NUS, NTU and SMU have their own “channels” which users can follow, to find food at the respective campuses.

Students scrimping on every dollar should definitely check the app out if you don’t want to spend on food.

Eat for free and reduce wastage

Even the app, which is available on Google Play and the App Store, is free, so there’s no excuse not to install it.

makan-rescue-app-store.jpg

It’s always such a shame to see large amounts of food go to waste. Hence, this initiative by the Makan Rescue team is truly commendable.

Let’s support a good cause and do our parts to work towards becoming a zero-waste city.

Featured image adapted from the Makan Rescue app and Facebook.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 11

I'm just waiting for the next serious food poisoning case that's now compounded by this app and the sick strangers who came to whack the food.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

I'm just waiting for the next serious food poisoning case that's now compounded by this app and the sick strangers who came to whack the food.

They now only operate in tertiary compounds, I think the students won't be so anal lah.

Beggar can't be a chooser.

Most of the buffet these days will have a memo stating best to consume within when to when. Then the one who eats must pay due diligence to this info also. 

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
On 10/7/2019 at 9:27 PM, Benarsenal said:

Can use this app to give away food also? Sometimes cook too much, don't want to waste. LOL.

You got cook meh?

On 10/7/2019 at 5:20 PM, kobayashiGT said:

They now only operate in tertiary compounds, I think the students won't be so anal lah.

Beggar can't be a chooser.

Most of the buffet these days will have a memo stating best to consume within when to when. Then the one who eats must pay due diligence to this info also. 

On 10/7/2019 at 4:16 PM, Turboflat4 said:

I somewhat agree. Most of these buffet food are cooked hours before. And there'll surely be those who dabao-ed to eat later. Many times my parents dabao-ed back from buffet, I will throw them away

• Praise 4

7 minutes ago, Othello said:

I somewhat agree. Most of these buffet food are cooked hours before. And there'll surely be those who dabao-ed to eat later. Many times my parents dabao-ed back from buffet, I will throw them away

Wise man. 

The biggest food wasters are the hotels with buffet spread.

What do they do with the leftover buffets?  throw away right?    The garment shld target these hotels.  Curb them and we will save so much food

Haha reminds me last time those secretaries  and trainers where they share information which days and which conference room having catered training or meetings. 

I have been to several trainings in my ex company, aften see the same old familiar faces at the catered lunch who are not trainees nor instructors. 

• Haha! 2

15 hours ago, Jusnel said:

The biggest food wasters are the hotels with buffet spread.

What do they do with the leftover buffets?  throw away right?    The garment shld target these hotels.  Curb them and we will save so much food

What has the govt got to do with this issue? Govt pay their salary? 

• Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, Othello said:

What has the govt got to do with this issue? Govt pay their salary? 

1st,  it matters to the whole world and global warming.  Food wastage is a big sin. 

2nd, govt is paying for all the waste landfills for these leftover food where they could be consumed by more people. 

• Praise 1

18 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

1st,  it matters to the whole world and global warming.  Food wastage is a big sin. 

2nd, govt is paying for all the waste landfills for these leftover food where they could be consumed by more people. 

Any suggestions to curb them ? Fine them jia lat jia lat ? 

Food waste is burned, and the NEA charges for it. It's not free. You can't just suka suka drive up to Halus or Semakau and dump your waste. 

Does your family waste food ? 

• Haha! 1