Carpark Opposite Cineleisure Orchard Will Close In February To Make Space For Flea Markets & Pop-Ups

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Carpark Opposite Cineleisure Orchard Will Close In February To Make Space For Flea Markets & Pop-Ups

Source: https://mustsharenews.com/grange-road-carpark-close/

Carpark Opposite Cineleisure Orchard Will Stop Operations From Feb 2020

Singaporeans who frequent Cineleisure or Scape might be familiar with the iconic open-air carpark opposite Cineleisure Orchard.

Car-Park-Opposite-Cineleisure-Orchard-1-

The carpark, located at Grange Road, will cease operations from Feb 2020, according to The Straits Times.

It’s popular among drivers because it’s known to be one of the cheaper parking spaces in town, with rates from $1.30/ 30 mins.

Unfortunately, the days of cheap parking in Somerset are coming to an end.

Carpark to be converted into permanent event space

The Grange Road carpark had been “trialed” as an event space in recent times, having hosted the BMW Fest just last month.

Moving forward, it will be hosting the Great Christmas Village — part of Orchard Road’s Christmas light up this year.

Car-Park-Opposite-Cineleisure-Orchard-2-

The Singapore Land Authority has said that we should expect to see more flea markets, pop-up attractions and food trucks after February next year.

They added that on non-event days, space will be used as a public area with “greenery and interesting street furniture”.

Netizens react to the Grange Road carpark closure

When this change was released on CNA’s Facebook page, a myriad of netizen comments started trickling in as some of them were seemingly devastated by the news.

Expectedly, netizens responded with dismay, with one expressing that he was “super sad” as the Grange Road carpark was the “only place” he parks at when visiting Orchard.

image.thumb.png.cda7723aeac0d2f66b1f852cc23ac1a7.png

Another netizen is concerned that they would soon have to park in a shopping mall that costs “a plate of wonton noodle” each hour.

image.thumb.png.f351e5d697cb3c69a86b8f43490b6a80.png

Time to look for alternatives

If you are one of those who are affected by this change, it’s probably time to start looking for alternatives.

Otherwise, like this netizen says, it’s time to take the MRT.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

When you wanna park at this car park, got to prepare yourself for a lot of 'aerial bombardment' to your car. 

Way back in the 90's, nearby there was also the small car park in front of Somerset MRT Entrance next to Hotel Phoenix then (Currently occupied by 313 Orchard) which always had that same issue. Looks like that area is a favourite roosting spot for birds, and still is. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Ronkovic said:

When you wanna park at this car park, got to prepare yourself for a lot of 'aerial bombardment' to your car. 

Way back in the 90's, nearby there was also the small car park in front of Somerset MRT Entrance next to Hotel Phoenix then (Currently occupied by 313 Orchard) which always had that same issue. Looks like that area is a favourite roosting spot for birds, and still is. 

Yeah, my car was a  "victim" once but I quickly learnt to avoid the trees 😁

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

Source: https://mustsharenews.com/grange-road-carpark-close/

Carpark Opposite Cineleisure Orchard Will Stop Operations From Feb 2020

Singaporeans who frequent Cineleisure or Scape might be familiar with the iconic open-air carpark opposite Cineleisure Orchard.

Carpark to be converted into permanent event space

The Grange Road carpark had been “trialed” as an event space in recent times, having hosted the BMW Fest just last month.

Moving forward, it will be hosting the Great Christmas Village — part of Orchard Road’s Christmas light up this year.

Car-Park-Opposite-Cineleisure-Orchard-2-

The Singapore Land Authority has said that we should expect to see more flea markets, pop-up attractions and food trucks after February next year.

Another netizen is concerned that they would soon have to park in a shopping mall that costs “a plate of wonton noodle” each hour.

Time to look for alternatives

If you are one of those who are affected by this change, it’s probably time to start looking for alternatives.

Otherwise, like this netizen says, it’s time to take the MRT.

Bro KobayashiGT

MCF booked a stall in the Fea Market and sell MCF merchandise there .... [sly]

Then members here got reason to go down to Orchard for MU .. :grin:

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
Just now, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Bro KobayashiGT

MCF booked a stall in the Fea Market and sell MCF merchandise there .... [sly]

Then members here got reason to go down to Orchard for MU .. :grin:

Hahah. If all of you come, then car park will be a problem. Because they just close down this carpark.

9 minutes ago, 13177 said:

People going there can park at nearby malls, dont think it will affect much?!

Ya, only thing is those who is looking for cheap parking will not be able to find anymore in orchard lao lor.. 

1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

Ya, only thing is those who is looking for cheap parking will not be able to find anymore in orchard lao lor.. 

Still have, at killiney road that area lo.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Ronkovic said:

Haha...the memories.

I locked my keys inside car with engine running. And i had a movie to catch with 3 friends in an hour.

Car was bombed with bird shxt by the time the movie ended.

Had to drive to a car wash before paintwork gets permanent tattoos. 

Never parked there again.

So i am one of those who won't be missing it😅😂😂😂

Safe ride

Cheers 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Turbocharged

Why do they need to create another flea markets, pop-up attractions and food trucks area?!? Last week I went to Cineleisure after 2 years haven't step in, to my suprise the mall has many many vacant units up for rent!! And this used to be the most happening youth hangout not too long ago. And now they wanna take away the cheapest available parking in Orchard?? OK, I'll have my fix of movies, makan, massage, bubble tea, shopping all in JB from now onwards.

• Praise 3

24 minutes ago, Zxcvb said:

Why do they need to create another flea markets, pop-up attractions and food trucks area?!? Last week I went to Cineleisure after 2 years haven't step in, to my suprise the mall has many many vacant units up for rent!! And this used to be the most happening youth hangout not too long ago. And now they wanna take away the cheapest available parking in Orchard?? OK, I'll have my fix of movies, makan, massage, bubble tea, shopping all in JB from now onwards.

Wonder what happened to cineleisure? Indeed this place was used to be very happening and crowded, but now become like almost ghost town? :blink:

• Praise 2

49 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

Haha...the memories.

I locked my keys inside car with engine running. And i had a movie to catch with 3 friends in an hour.

Car was bombed with bird shxt by the time the movie ended.

Had to drive to a car wash before paintwork gets permanent tattoos. 

Never parked there again.

So i am one of those who won't be missing it😅😂😂😂

Safe ride

Cheers 

You mean you went to movie despite that your keys are locked inside car with engine running? :o I never like this car park due to car would get bombed with bird shxt, so this carpark is like have also cannot park, so now gone also doesnt affect much to me.

1 minute ago, 13177 said:

You mean you went to movie despite that your keys are locked inside car with engine running? :o I never like this car park due to car would get bombed with bird shxt, so this carpark is like have also cannot park, so now gone also doesnt affect much to me.

😳

No lah. Got a clothes hanger from a kind stranger also a car owner and slowly slowly lowered it over the door lock "plunger" for want of a word. 

Took a long half hour at least iirc to finally put it up so door unlocked. *sweat tons*

The hanger is the wire type so twist twist until got a small hole to loop over that locking device. Can only be thankful there was a slight gap between window...not fully wound up closed. 

Thoughts of calling lock smith or breaking window pane flashed thru my mind. 

Needless to say, always carried a spare key since then in coin purse just in case. 

Not happened again, touch wood, paper, sand. 

Guy steady. Offered to pay him for 1 out of shape clothes hanger but he declined. Those days, handphone not so advanced with video function. And no stomp or car cam.

Otherwise, many of u maybe say i so forgetful blah blah blah 😅😅😅 and end with i better dun drive.

😂😂😂memories. 

Happy days

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

23 minutes ago, PSP415 said:

😳

No lah. Got a clothes hanger from a kind stranger also a car owner and slowly slowly lowered it over the door lock "plunger" for want of a word. 

Took a long half hour at least iirc to finally put it up so door unlocked. *sweat tons*

The hanger is the wire type so twist twist until got a small hole to loop over that locking device. Can only be thankful there was a slight gap between window...not fully wound up closed. 

Thoughts of calling lock smith or breaking window pane flashed thru my mind. 

Needless to say, always carried a spare key since then in coin purse just in case. 

Not happened again, touch wood, paper, sand. 

Guy steady. Offered to pay him for 1 out of shape clothes hanger but he declined. Those days, handphone not so advanced with video function. And no stomp or car cam.

Otherwise, many of u maybe say i so forgetful blah blah blah 😅😅😅 and end with i better dun drive.

😂😂😂memories. 

Happy days

Safe ride

Cheers

You heng la, first your car window left a gap which can lower down the hanger, then lucky someone can lend you a hanger cause how often you can find driver with hanger inside their car de. Lastly your skill also quite good la, if not you also cannot unlocked the lock with the hanger. Lol. Carrying spare key sometimes also no use, if you left your bag inside the locked car. Cause i have experienced before. [sweatdrop]

Edited by 13177
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1