Will SG auto qualify for WC 2034 as hosts?

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

So in another thread we talked about Singapore's goal to qualify for the World Cup 2034.

Is this how we intend to qualify for the World Cup? 

Also, what does this mean for Singapore as part of the five nation host?

- All five nation auto qualify

- Combined team to represent Asean

- Five teams fight against each other and the winner will represent Asean

🥇

Screenshot_20191010_193759_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.cf9109564253114497c00bbf58d4cbb3.jpgScreenshot_20191010_193808_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.343089fe1a6d79424a8836b90a605f38.jpgScreenshot_20191010_193816_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.4a6d200d300921713a24d5597918cd88.jpgScreenshot_20191010_193829_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.b88e53aa107a2c5167ae9a9e9775e1ba.jpgScreenshot_20191010_193838_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.f676af5af914e9fc81c73eb0ac92480a.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Very lame. Even if host, watch us get knocked out in the first round, last of the group etc.

Of course, as far as host nation humiliation goes, nothing in recent memory can top Brazil v Germany in 2014.

But still, this is not the way to meet the WC goal that the MIW kept harping on about.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

This is a good idea.

To me the best ever world cup was Korea - Japan.

Our time zone and great matches like Korea beating Italy.

I always thought 3 nation bid, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand but 5 might be too much for FIFA.

:D

• Praise 2

I think I already  turn into ashes 😅 

They love to talk about something that is too far to see .......  

Edited by Angcheek
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

Ok lah, still have 14 yrs, start working on those top school teams in Pri and Sec sch.

14 yrs can do alot  of stuffs if everyone is really serious, and within that 14 yrs, how many young boys can be spotted and developed in all the Pri and Sec school football team. 

Is a matter of how serious, and how focus the top ppl are, instead of all going in with a different agenda. Instead of focusing and developing the sport, all go in busy play politics, mai gong 14 years, another 140 years also see sky only...

However, one culture must change, an unwritten culture. We have to remember we are make up of many different races, and talent can come from any race.[laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 3

Hahahaha. Joke la. So this is their 'backdoor' strategy to make the World Cup.

How we host? We only got one big stadium. Probably cannot host many matches. The most one or two.

Our national team will be a disgrace against the big boys too, if things remain as they are currently.

• Haha! 1

Can host but cannot auto-qualify...  Unless some FIFA scholar expand the finals to 96 teams. By then travelling not a problem. Europe to SG in 1 hour. Teams can go back many times throughout the tourney. 

If you look at the other bidders, ASEAN's chances of winning the bid will be very low. The top choice would likely be China, and a distant second, the joint Australia-NZ bid. For one, China is a huge country, with a bigger market to draw crowds and ticket sales, the means of infrastructure, and has previous experience in hosting the Olympics. Likewise Australia has also hosted the Olympics, while NZ has hosted Rugby World Cup previously. The joint bid with NZ would enable more available venues, plus both are sports-crazy countries and are considered pretty safe. 

An ASEAN joint bid with so many stakeholders could certainly be challenging. First up, will FIFA approve granting additional qualifying slots for Asia?  For China and Australia-NZ, it shouldn't affect the qualifying slots much as China would be merely 1 Asian spot, and Australia-NZ would be one Asian and Oceania spot. A combined ASEAN team may not be feasible too as I believe FIFA rules only allow for players to represent a single country rather than a combined bloc; and the tournament is meant for national teams only. Which is why Northern Ireland, Wales. England and Scotland participate as individual nations, rather than as part of a UK team; Also for example, FIFA does not recognise the Catalonia national team as it is an unofficial breakaway from the primary national team of Spain. Even if the remote possibility of an ASEAN team goes ahead, how do we determine 'equal' representation of the best players among all bidding countries, or select the 'best' players? As it is, within ASEAN, there is already a huge gulf in footballing standards across all the joint bidders, with countries like Vietnam and Thailand ahead of the rest. 

They'd also have to consider the logistics and infrastructure around ASEAN. Can the 5 joint bidders put up enough world-class facilities to accommodate all the various group games to be played? How would the visa/travel arrangements be made more seamless for both the travelling supporters? Traffic / Transport issues in major cities? Who should have the right to host the final (I'm sure every party would be fighting for that)? How will set up costs be funded and distributed? A lot of questions need to be answered before the joint bid can even take place or become reality. 

• Praise 3

Why talk about the future when the past was never fulfilled?

Everyone forgot about GOAL 2010 that MBT was so enthusiastic about?

Look where that progressed to.

Qualify for world cup? LOL.

• Haha! 1

Please don't waste another 300m taxpayers' money on a frivolous pursuit. It may turn out to be 3Bn this time. You guys sure you want this just to fulfill some old goat's boastful talk? 

• Haha! 2

Sg/asean wont get it cos sg too honest to stuff $$$ in brown envelopes to win the bid...

case closed 🤣

but really they can only get it if fifa expand the wc to much more teams then force them to fight out for one slot... in which case sg will also get dump out but still have to host the games

Main reason they wanna do it? Use taxpayer$$ to build infrastructure, pte corp to take all the profit

It would be an administrative and logistic nightmare to host a World Cup in 5 countries, even 3 is difficult so I think it would be near impossible. Anyway, definitely 5 or for that matter 3 countries will not automatically qualify as hosts so on this alone, it would be a tough to decide who goes thru.

From a spectator point of view, yes it would be nice to watch the WC at your own backyard but I'm not sure if our public will embrace it cos I thought we had a culture willing to pay and watch top class sports as there was good attendance at Formula 1, WTA tennis, ICC Cup etc but after yesterday's 20k+ crowd to watch Brazil, I'm not so sure as it would be embarrassing if we can't fill up the seats. Qatar couldn't fill up the stadium for the recent World Athletics Championships but then again football has always been a crowd puller. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5