Wee Nam Kee Chicken Rice restaurant founder Wee Toon Ouut dies aged 81

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Wee Nam Kee Chicken Rice restaurant founder Wee Toon Ouut dies aged 81

Source: https://mothership.sg/2019/10/wee-toon-ouut/

wee-nam-kee.jpg

Wee Toon Ouut, founder of popular local chicken rice brand Wee Nam Kee Chicken Rice Restaurant, died on Sunday, Oct. 13.

He was 81.

Wee Nam Kee Chicken Rice announced Wee’s passing in a Facebook post on Sunday.

No details on the cause of death was given.

“As a mark of respect, all our restaurant and outlets will be closed on Saturday 19 October 2019, to send him off on his final journey,” it wrote.

The post said Wee’s “warm smile and sincere personality will be missed by all”.

It also apologised for the inconvenience caused by the closure.

Since 1989

Wee founded Wee Nam Kee Chicken Rice in 1989.

The chain then expanded into the Philippines, Japan, Korea and Indonesia.

There are four branches in Singapore, including three restaurants at United Square, Marina Square & I12 Katong malls, as well as a stall at Makansutra Gluttons Bay @ the Esplanade.

The post also said Wee’s philosophy of cooking for customers like how a “mum cooks with passion for their children” will be upheld.

The post read: “Rest In Peace, Towkay! – From all of us in the WNK family!”

For those WNK lovers out there, remember 19th Oct there will be no chicken rice. And condolences to WNK families and staffs.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Sad 1

RIP...

I remember there's also a branch at Jurong Point and one stall at the Westgate's Republic foodcourt.

Edited by Watwheels

Thought the I12 branch close down quite some time liao? 

The hainanese chicken rice slightly above food court standard niah. Easily get lost in sea of boon tong kee, five star, sergeant chicken rice. 

Just now, Kusje said:

Okay, Will find a chance to try.

Which outlet is best? Marina sq?

So far have ate at marina sq, i12, paya lebar post office and changi city point. I think Marina Sq / Paya Lebar both simiar. i12 I think closed liao

Personally, I don't really like their chick rice in their North Point branch. I found the rice not presentable (dark dark one) and chicken also tastes so so. But my wife thinks otherwise.

Guess its personal preference.

I prefer chicken chop in huge chucks.

I dunno whether you guys have been to the traditional Hainanese Chicken rice restaurants. WNK is just one of the few I go to. The typical Hai. chicken rice that has hai. pork chop and tze char.

Opposite the Bras Brasah complex there are two streets namely Purvis street and Seah street. 

I have been to these two streets to eat Hai. Chicken rice since I was a teenager with my family. Those surviving are Chin Chin Eating House and Yet Con at Purvis street. Other than the tradition Hai. chicken rice they also have Tze char and their signature hai. pork chop(must try). Yet Con's head chef have retired hence no more tze char and their lovely pork chop, standard dropped quite a bit. But I think they still have their steamboat. Yet Con is aircon but Chin Chin isnt. 

Between these two Chin Chin white chicken taste better imo. There used to be one more Hai. restaurant along the street that also serve mutton soup (Chinese version), sigh no more liao, it closed cos they retired. This street got a lot of hipster restaurants and Thai restaurants too. The Thai restaurant next to Yet Con is worth a try. There are two actually. The one closer to the alley is what I recommend. (Cash payment too, so bring cash.)

At Seah street there's Zheng Swee Kee which I had lunch recently. Same traditional Hai. chicken rice with tze char and pork chop. Not bad too. Pretty much like the rest. Worth the try. The drinks kopitiam operate separately from the chicken rice restaurant, so you have to pay them separately for the drinks. 

The above 3 must try are their white chicken and their pork chops. A family of four, 2 adults and 2 kids pay around $30-$40 depending on what you order. Very affordable. Most accept cash payments only. Most suitable for cash rich members here.

Places to park. Along the Purvis st got parallel parking but quite challenging to find empty lot. I usually park at the national library. Or alternatively park at Bras Brasah complex. Challenging cos lots are tiny and full of walls. 

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 7
  • Haha! 1

13 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Just walked pass the branch at changi city point yesterday.... But didn't eat there. 

It is located inside the food court?

4 hours ago, Watwheels said:

I dunno whether you guys have been to the traditional Hainanese Chicken rice restaurants. WNK is just one of the few I go to. The typical Hai. chicken rice that has hai. pork chop and tze char.

Opposite the Bras Brasah complex there are two streets namely Purvis street and Seah street. 

I have been to these two streets to eat Hai. Chicken rice since I was a teenager with my family. Those surviving are Chin Chin Eating House and Yet Con at Purvis street. Other than the tradition Hai. chicken rice they also have Tze char and their signature hai. pork chop(must try). Yet Con's head chef have retired hence no more tze char and their lovely pork chop, standard dropped quite a bit. But I think they still have their steamboat. Yet Con is aircon but Chin Chin isnt. 

Between these two Chin Chin white chicken taste better imo. There used to be one more Hai. restaurant along the street that also serve mutton soup (Chinese version), sigh no more liao, it closed cos they retired. This street got a lot of hipster restaurants and Thai restaurants too. The Thai restaurant next to Yet Con is worth a try. There are two actually. The one closer to the alley is what I recommend. (Cash payment too, so bring cash.)

At Seah street there's Zheng Swee Kee which I had lunch recently. Same traditional Hai. chicken rice with tze char and pork chop. Not bad too. Pretty much like the rest. Worth the try. The drinks kopitiam operate separately from the chicken rice restaurant, so you have to pay them separately for the drinks. 

The above 3 must try are their white chicken and their pork chops. A family of four, 2 adults and 2 kids pay around $30-$40 depending on what you order. Very affordable. Most accept cash payments only. Most suitable for cash rich members here.

Places to park. Along the Purvis st got parallel parking but quite challenging to find empty lot. I usually park at the national library. Or alternatively park at Bras Brasah complex. Challenging cos lots are tiny and full of walls. 

I ate yet con once many years ago. Old school feel, but nothing special. I would have forgotten about it if u didn't mention.
Wee Nam Kee Chicken rice the original one opposite Newton Church was definitely better.

I tried the franchised one which was decent, but nothing special. Sightly above average chicken rice. Their Fish head curry was ok. For mass market standard, think it's ok. Though i would probably prefer Boon Tong Kee.

5 hours ago, Watwheels said:

RIP...

I remember there's also a branch at Jurong Point and one stall at the Westgate's Republic foodcourt.

ever since they open shop at JP,  dian xiao er next door jin champ, most time empty. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1