Jump to content
[FB Live] Get Exclusive Prices Across The Entire Volkswagen Range On Our Facebook LIVE featuring Julian and Idris!  Read more... ×

Recommended Posts

Supersonic

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/29933748.html

Quote

Toyota's New Model Yaris Makes World Premiere

 

Quote
  • First use of the TNGA*1 platform for compact cars. A body that is light yet highly rigid and has a low center of gravity.
  • Adopts the latest powertrain, including a 1.5-liter inline three-cylinder Dynamic Force Engine based on the TNGA design philosophy. This engine pursues both driving performance and the world's highest level of fuel efficiency for a hybrid vehicle, in addition to the pleasure of driving.
  • Toyota is also offering E-Four (electric four-wheel drive system) for the first time on a compact car.
  • The condensed, clutter-free cabin and compact form that extends from the center of the body to the front and rear wheels express an active dynamic design that appears ready to take off at a moment's notice.
  • "Advanced Park"*2, Toyota's advanced parking support system (a first on a Toyota vehicle), and the latest Toyota Safety Sense, which now detects oncoming cars (a first on a Toyota vehicle) when turning right at an intersection and pedestrians crossing the street when turning right or left, are standard*3.
  • Enhanced comfort and convenience features include "Turn Tilt Seats"*2 (a first on a Toyota vehicle), which facilitate entering and exiting the vehicle, and Display Audio (standard on all models), which can connect with smartphones, and an accessory power outlet is available for hybrid versions in Japan.

001.jpg.716597b38d6cb3b4caccfdd704373ba7.jpg

 

1.5L Dynamic Force Engine

003.thumb.jpg.5104b85b4da73a940651cc92dab8a679.jpg

1.5L Dynamic Force Hybrid System

004.jpg.e73fa0ec54bda180a71eac08d619d250.jpg

 

Direct CVT for 1.5L

005.jpg.84e22e05980cbe32323c421e26627961.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

Yaris Driving

 

Yaris (lightweight and rigid body)

 

Yaris (Handling)

 

 

  • Praise 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

A lot of technical innovations. But the looks..oh the looks..reminds me of a frog...

How to compete on style with the new Peugeot 208??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic (edited)

Th front anti roll bar is just  behind the steering wheel and on the dash. Quite unusual.

The small dynamic force engine I will be very fuel efficient. The current 2.0L (RAV4) and the 2.5L(Camry) versions are already very fuel efficient for their engine capacity.

The direct shift cvt dunno will be the 8sp or 10 sp. Most likely the 8sp one. This cvt is a hybrid of planetary gears and belt drive combined. It neither feels like the typical cvt "rubber band" experience nor does it have any cvt whine. You can even floor the first gear as it is a real gear pinion before it shift to the virtual gears cvt belt drive.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic

Toyota is lacking a hatchback locally so they shld introduce Yaris here but then again if the price is too high, it won’t move much n with Vios albeit a saloon in the entry level segment, I fear Borneo won’t bring this in. I hope I’m wrong though. 

  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
28 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Th front anti roll bar is just  behind the steering wheel and on the dash. Quite unusual.

The small dynamic force engine I will be very fuel efficient. The current 2.0L (RAV4) and the 2.5L(Camry) versions are already very fuel efficient for their engine capacity.

The direct shift cvt dunno will be the 8sp or 10 sp. Most likely the 8sp one. This cvt is a hybrid of planetary gears and belt drive combined. It neither feels like the typical cvt "rubber band" experience nor does it have any cvt whine. You can even floor the first gear as it is a real gear pinion before it shift to the virtual gears cvt belt drive.

Dont think that is the anti-roll bar, more like some bracing to keep the front of the car and steering mechanism rigid for better handling.

The dynamic force engine is good, but 3-cyl abit sianz...

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear
2 hours ago, Spring said:

Toyota is lacking a hatchback locally so they shld introduce Yaris here but then again if the price is too high, it won’t move much n with Vios albeit a saloon in the entry level segment, I fear Borneo won’t bring this in. I hope I’m wrong though. 

There is little sense in bringing in such high tech tiny cars to SG. small cars are tough sell in SG anyway. Its SUV and crossovers rage these days. Sedans and hatches are dying fast.

Anyway it is highly unlikely we will get this high tech Yaris. Here in SE Asia, we have the Vios hatch... I mean Yaris. BM can always import this from Thailand

image.png.182a03b5a52d6e807e68df45806a3c64.png

image.png.e57a0346a71b16775ffbbd8322a74bad.png

image.png.97b7285836a20f00bae76e8edfad48e3.png

image.png.d4e02ef5689ab604eb1abbe3d0aaa65d.png

image.png.869f0eab8cb1dbdc56b80caaaa8b050c.png

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turbocharged

Borneo Motors already stopped bringing in the Yaris for many many years liao. Not sure why Honda Jazz can sell like hot cakes, but Yaris is a far cry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 3:33 PM, Zxcvb said:

Borneo Motors already stopped bringing in the Yaris for many many years liao. Not sure why Honda Jazz can sell like hot cakes, but Yaris is a far cry. 

That's because Borneo cannot deliver unlike Kah. This is coming from someone who has owned a Kah. Recently tried to switch over to Toyota to try it out and that experience has been appalling. I feel bad about my disloyalty now. Copy and paste my post from another thread:

 

PSA: Borneo has asked for top-up

According to SE, Borneo Motors has not asked for top up since 2016. This is now October 2019.

Ordered in July when COE price was S$26.7k; recent round was S$32.3k. Borneo asked us to top up. Gave us the option of either topping up S$2k (non-guaranteed) or waiting another few months. Apparently Borneo is only willing to bid S$27k.

Thought I should share this because when I bought the car, I tried looking up Borneo's call history online. Could not find so relied on SE who told me no need to buy guaranteed as no chance of top up.

Pretty annoyed because I checked with our SEs from Honda, Nissan, Kia, Hyundai, Suzuki - apparently all their customers got their cars.

TLDR: Borneo sucks. Should have bought a Hyundai!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear
On 10/18/2019 at 3:07 PM, Cheefarn said:

There is little sense in bringing in such high tech tiny cars to SG. small cars are tough sell in SG anyway. Its SUV and crossovers rage these days. Sedans and hatches are dying fast.

Anyway it is highly unlikely we will get this high tech Yaris. Here in SE Asia, we have the Vios hatch... I mean Yaris. BM can always import this from Thailand

image.png.182a03b5a52d6e807e68df45806a3c64.png

image.png.e57a0346a71b16775ffbbd8322a74bad.png

image.png.97b7285836a20f00bae76e8edfad48e3.png

image.png.d4e02ef5689ab604eb1abbe3d0aaa65d.png

image.png.869f0eab8cb1dbdc56b80caaaa8b050c.png

This version looks good. 3-cylinder could be very fuel efficient - no need for a hybrid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear
On 10/25/2019 at 9:59 PM, awhtc said:

This version looks good. 3-cylinder could be very fuel efficient - no need for a hybrid.

It uses the exact mech bits from the Vios. It means standard 1.5L and CVT from the Vios as well

In Thailand it is also offered witha a really weak 1.2L to qualify it as an 'Eco' car, but  that model is ok only becos you can't go anywhere fast in Bangkok anyway 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4th Gear

That Thai Vios/ Yaris has one really uncomfortable looking gear stick....

  • Haha! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear
8 hours ago, Hotnyh said:

That Thai Vios/ Yaris has one really uncomfortable looking gear stick....

someone stole the gear shifter handle lor. LOL Still can use no problem  :D

Typical of Toyota, for 3rd world countries models, they really do dump antique parts into it and still make big $$ outta it. That gated shifter looks so early 2000s. 

Same applies to Avanza also. An early 90s Daihatsu Extol van ladder frame chassis with very crude live axle rear suspension (just a step up from leaf springs only) can still see duty in 2020 Avanza, together with its inherent high CG and tiny wheels. Front discs are NOT even vented! And with super short gear ratios for its ancient 4AT. For a speed limited delivery van its ok since the gear ratios will keep the tiny and weak 1.5L engine on the boil to squeeze out max power at low speed, but as a supposedly 7 seater (more like 4+2) engine spinning at 3500rpm @100kmh is just crazy la. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
On 10/25/2019 at 9:59 PM, awhtc said:

This version looks good. 3-cylinder could be very fuel efficient - no need for a hybrid.

Made in Indonesia Yaris. Once again, why Borneo Motors don’t bring this in while Kah Motors selling the jazz like hot cakes baffles me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
16 minutes ago, Zxcvb said:

Made in Indonesia Yaris. Once again, why Borneo Motors don’t bring this in while Kah Motors selling the jazz like hot cakes baffles me. 

It seems like BM hatchback dont really sell well? You see back then when they sell the yaris, i think not say very popular also la. Could be the altis way too popular that people only interested in this car when they go BM to buy car? Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
1 minute ago, 13177 said:

It seems like BM hatchback dont really sell well? You see back then when they sell the yaris, i think not say very popular also la. Could be the altis way too popular that people only interested in this car when they go BM to buy car? Lol.

The Honda Jazz/Fit have no direct competitor in many years. Yaris is not available, Suzuki Swift too small, VW polo and golf not too reasonably priced, Nissan Note spacious but lack the looks and power. Hyundai i30 ridiculously priced for a korean make. 
 

My 5cents. 

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
9 minutes ago, Zxcvb said:

The Honda Jazz/Fit have no direct competitor in many years. Yaris is not available, Suzuki Swift too small, VW polo and golf not too reasonably priced, Nissan Note spacious but lack the looks and power. Hyundai i30 ridiculously priced for a korean make. 
 

My 5cents. 

Even though Jazz no direct competitor is one thing, but Jazz also have been the popular hatchback for many years liao which people first choice when buying a hatch car would consider Jazz first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear
30 minutes ago, 13177 said:

It seems like BM hatchback dont really sell well? You see back then when they sell the yaris, i think not say very popular also la. Could be the altis way too popular that people only interested in this car when they go BM to buy car? Lol.

The last 1.33L Yaris BM sold was made in France. Specs were better than any BnB models BM had at that time. But perhaps becos of that, $$ were too high, too close to Altis prices.  And I read built quality was questionable (its French afterall) And the Yaris was slow

↡ Advertisement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×