playing on the road

Ysc3

I have seen some a group of teenagers playing cricket in the center round tiled flat area of the roundabout at the Road Safety Park. 

I had to literally keep my eyes on the ball when I was trying to run across to get to the beach from the service road. 

I have seen enough injuries to know how much damage a stray cricket ball can deal.... 

• Praise 1

Some posters on STOMP have clarified that originally there was a grass field where the kids used to play but it was removed because of MRT construction. 

And now they use this, but it's OK because it's a service road that's closed off to the public for the same construction. 

Basically this is fake news, calculated to spread racist and xenophobic ill-will.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 5

Twincharged
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Some posters on STOMP have clarified that originally there was a grass field where the kids used to play but it was removed because of MRT construction. 

And now they use this, but it's OK because it's a service road that's closed off to the public for the same construction. 

Basically this is fake news, calculated to spread racist and xenophobic ill-will.

Thank you for the verification! 👍

But aside, how the residents going to get back to their houses ?

Edited by Ysc3

10 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Thank you for the verification! 👍

But aside, how the residents going to get back to their houses ?

Dunno bro, I'm not personally familiar with that area. But if that's a concern then it should've been raised. I didn't see anything in STOMP about that being a concern. 

The STOMP article (based on what the original contributor submitted) also mentioned a group of kids playing soccer using the same area. Interestingly, comments don't seem to focus on that, simply because it doesn't fit their preconceived narrative. Guess which group tends to favour cricket and which group favours soccer? 

I have no issues with kids playing in whatever area they can improvise... Be it soccer or badminton etc... As long as they do not affect other public space users. 

But games like cricket can be potentially dangerous with the cricket balls flying everywhere, into the eye socket of a passerby or the windscreen of a passing car. Granted these are not professional players that can send those balls in excess of 150kph.

https://youtu.be/G3UQ2RyZQkQ

23 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

I have no issues with kids playing in whatever area they can improvise... Be it soccer or badminton etc... As long as they do not affect other public space users. 

But games like cricket can be potentially dangerous with the cricket balls flying everywhere, into the eye socket of a passerby or the windscreen of a passing car. Granted these are not professional players that can send those balls in excess of 150kph.

https://youtu.be/G3UQ2RyZQkQ

I have played street cricket in India when much younger, so I have some experience with regard to this. 

First of all, the speeds are really low. Nowhere even close to pro level. It's like the difference between a BnB 1.5 l car vs an F1 car. 

Also, a lot depends on the type of cricket ball being used. When I used to play, the traditional red cricket ball was favoured. With the greater popularity of the short version (ODI), they may have switched to using white balls which are harder, so that's potentially a concern. During my time, we used to make do even with tennis balls, which of course are very soft and bouncy (so they make terrible cricket balls, but at least they're soft and elastic). 

We used to play right next to residences at ground level and there was no damage and certainly no injury to bystanders. 

But I agree that it is a potential concern, especially with the very young and very elderly who are not familiar with the game and don't know the safer zones to stand in or walk through. 

If really "sway", yes, there is the very slim chance of a tragedy like an orbital blowout fracture like you mentioned, if they're using a proper ball and have strong bowlers and batters. 

Personally, I'd be a lot more worried about the PMDs running wild right now, they pose a much more palpable threat, even to the less vulnerable. 

Edited by Turboflat4

I am totally against racist and xenophobic ill-will.

I welcome more good looking talented rich young ladies from other countries like this country.

:D

image.thumb.png.29466eb196f4c25e8444b8b7b2ad17c3.png

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement