EV demand pok

Mockngbrd

Is EV demand going to pok?  Was BMW's cautious EV strategy actually correct? 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timtreadgold/2019/10/17/demand-crash-on-the-ev-highway-hits-battery-metals/amp/

4,183 views|Oct 17, 2019,9:10 pm

Tesla-jackson-8a80.jpg?quality=90&strip=

Demand Crash On The EV Highway Hits Battery Metals

Tim TreadgoldContributor

Asia

A collapse in sales of electric vehicles in China has triggered a chain reaction up the raw materials pipeline and raised fresh questions about the short-term future of EVs without heavy-duty government subsidies.

What rocked supporters of the EV industry earlier this week was a report from the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers that sales of new-energy vehicles, a description that include full electric and hybrids, fell 34.2% in September compared with the same month last year.

Explanations for the sharp decline range from consumer concern about a reduction of government incentives to buy an EV, to lingering doubts about how far an EV can travel without a power top-up (range anxiety).

Read more

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

whether we like it or not, as long as people wants to have personal mobility and fossil fuel will run out eventually, alternative fuel vehicle is here to stay.

• Praise 2

Just over two years ago the price of lithium carbonate, a part-processed feed-stock used by battery makers, was selling for $20,000 a ton. Today, it is selling for around $7400/t.

That's good news. 

Cheaper batteries.

:D

• Praise 1

48 minutes ago, Ash2017 said:

whether we like it or not, as long as people wants to have personal mobility and fossil fuel will run out eventually, alternative fuel vehicle is here to stay.

Fossil fuels will not run out in our lifetime. 
used to read when I was a kid that fossil fuel will run out in 50-60 years. Haha. We are Still chugging along......

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

personal opinion...battery production and disposal consume much more resources and cause more pollution than the plain old combustion engines 

and these so called new technologies are also using fossil fuels to charge 

🤣

• Praise 2

47 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

used to read when I was a kid that fossil fuel will run out in 50-60 years. Haha. We are Still chugging along......

just that alot are hidden in hard to access area or too deep.

extraction will be very expensive, 

but it wont run out anytime soon.

53 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Did I say fossil fuel would run out in our lifetime? I said eventually because it is a finite amount.

when you were a kid, it may be true that fossil fuel would run out in 50-60 years. Back then, alternative energy generating technology was limited. During that time while you were kid till today, we have many established alternative energy generating source replacing fossil fuel for power generation. That would explain for your observation.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

That's good news. 

Cheaper batteries.

:D

10 years ago, air-tickets were very expensive but today many air-tickets were cheaper than previously despite inflation and cost of investment and doing business. 

volume and efficiency

• Praise 3

46 minutes ago, Ash2017 said:

Did I say fossil fuel would run out in our lifetime? I said eventually because it is a finite amount.

when you were a kid, it may be true that fossil fuel would run out in 50-60 years. Back then, alternative energy generating technology was limited. During that time while you were kid till today, we have many established alternative energy generating source replacing fossil fuel for power generation. That would explain for your observation.

erm... ever heard of shale?

😬😅

1 hour ago, Enye said:

personal opinion...battery production and disposal consume much more resources and cause more pollution than the plain old combustion engines 

and these so called new technologies are also using fossil fuels to charge 

🤣

I second that.

It takes a lot of chemicals and processing to make all these high-density batteries. And their lifespan is relatively short. There is still no very good way to process/recycle these used batteries without dumping another shitload of energy and processing onto it. All energy has to come from somewhere (mainly fossil fuels).

So unfortunately today EVs simply looks clean... but lots of fossils fuels being burned in the background to let EVs move.

Not saying that we should just stick with combustion cars forever, but there is a lot of HYPE and MARKETING inside the EV/Tesla wave

• Praise 2

18 minutes ago, Ash2017 said:

you don't get it even shale is not infinite in supply

did i say it was infinite in supply?

my response was to your claim that alternative power generating sources had replaced fossil fuels, thereby extending the 50-60 years deadline in which these fuels would have run out.

how much has these alternative power generating sources replaced fossil fuels vs the increase in energy demand over the last 50-60 years?

😬

• Praise 2

16 minutes ago, Enye said:

my response was to your claim that alternative power generating sources had replaced fossil fuels, thereby extending the 50-60 years deadline in which these fuels would have run out.

how much has these alternative power generating sources replaced fossil fuels vs the increase in energy demand over the last 50-60 years?

😬

bro you miss the forest for the trees

• Praise 1

18 minutes ago, Enye said:

😬

Yes yes exactly my point. 

lots of articles out there are half truths. Keep predicting the doomsday. To propagate their own agenda. 

and in case I get suan again. I’m not saying climate change is not a concern. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

11 minutes ago, Enye said:

😬

I think only Norway has significant energy generation via hydroelectric means. 

Solar and wind are still well within single digits. 

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Yes yes exactly my point. 

lots of articles out there are half truths. Keep predicting the doomsday. To propagate their own agenda. 

and in case I get suan again. I’m not saying climate change is not a concern. 

Whatever way u look at it, energy generation has to have nuclear in terms of which countries are suitable for it.

Gates foundation designed a safe nuclear reactor using spent nuclear waste as fuel. Spent couple hundred million on design. Pilot reactor trial supposed to be in China. But the trade war has scuppered that for the foreseeable future. 

↡ Advertisement