COE Bidding – 2nd Round of October 2019

Carbon82

19 minutes ago, Midorima said:

When the car price is not that high, a poorer resale does not hit it materially.

That said, by the time u want to sell Skoda, the brand probably pick up already. Somemore managed by Volkswagen Centre. Look at the sales numbers since it was brought in recently. Pretty impressive.

Remains to be seen if the Altis (super common) or Skoda will give you better value (both drive and resale).

Disagree. Unless you drive it till the end, you’ll not get a good resale price. 

On how much value one places on the drive - now that’s a diff story already. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Cheefarn said:

Wow, talk about stating the obvious :D Bro are u practicing to be a politician? LOL :D 

Haha have fun lah, dont be so serious. 

politician wise , if white shirts,  I have no qualification , not an ex-general, cannot.

President wise, I no mxlxy, never manage multi million $ corporation, cannot.

Non white shirts, i no money,  not worth for them to sue, also cannot.

How ?

• Haha! 1

23 minutes ago, S_andrew said:

Disagree. Unless you drive it till the end, you’ll not get a good resale price. 

On how much value one places on the drive - now that’s a diff story already. 

Regardless whether Skoda or not,  most dealers or buyers only pay you a few k above paper value. This is how the industry works for bread n butter cars. 

• Praise 3

17 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Regardless whether Skoda or not,  most dealers or buyers only pay you a few k above paper value. This is how the industry works for bread n butter cars. 

fully agreed. Its about time people stop subscribing to the myth that buying Toyota and Honda=high resale value. It is just NOT true in today's market. 

Dealers will just take in your car as described above and then mark up at least 20-30% profit margin when they resell it on SGCM. This is the so called excellent 'resale value' you guys are talking about. 

The thing is... did YOU as the seller enjoy that 20-30% profit margin? No right? Then what are u so smug about? :D

Also, being too common a model will affect resale value from a pure biz standpoint also. Tell me, if you are used a car dealer, why would I pay u top $$ for your Vios or Altis when I already got at least 15 units of the same car in my inventory right now? Attributes eg low mileage and well kept are totally irrelevant to the used car dealers for mileage can be adjusted to their fancy, paintwork resprayed with cheap paintwork, seats re-upholstered after they take in your car. They can make any car they take in look like a 'low mileage, almost new' car. They have no need and no reason to pay more for yours.

A rare model or models whose AD has gone bust can actually command higher resale value if u can wait for the right buyer to come along. That buyer will certainly be someone who knows what he is buying and he does not mind paying your asking price becos the car you have is super rare and it will be a pity if he missed it. 

• Praise 2

17 hours ago, Kia7200 said:

BM don't priced their car competitively. I thought this is well known

I think KM win hand down on this though.😃

• Haha! 1

52 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

fully agreed. Its about time people stop subscribing to the myth that buying Toyota and Honda=high resale value. It is just NOT true in today's market. 

Dealers will just take in your car as described above and then mark up at least 20-30% profit margin when they resell it on SGCM. This is the so called excellent 'resale value' you guys are talking about. 

The thing is... did YOU as the seller enjoy that 20-30% profit margin? No right? Then what are u so smug about? :D

Also, being too common a model will affect resale value from a pure biz standpoint also. Tell me, if you are used a car dealer, why would I pay u top $$ for your Vios or Altis when I already got at least 15 units of the same car in my inventory right now? Attributes eg low mileage and well kept are totally irrelevant to the used car dealers for mileage can be adjusted to their fancy, paintwork resprayed with cheap paintwork, seats re-upholstered after they take in your car. They can make any car they take in look like a 'low mileage, almost new' car. They have no need and no reason to pay more for yours.

A rare model or models whose AD has gone bust can actually command higher resale value if u can wait for the right buyer to come along. That buyer will certainly be someone who knows what he is buying and he does not mind paying your asking price becos the car you have is super rare and it will be a pity if he missed it. 

At least with a toyota or Honda you still can get a few k above paper.with a Chevy it’s only paper or not even bothering to take it in cause it waste their lot space  for months. 😭

• Praise 1

Haha I speak from experience. Not sure about you 🙂

And btw to answer your qn - yes. It was effortless to list and sell it on SGCM. 

Mlk22 is right. Some dealers don’t even want to take in! Rare or not. Your argument about common cars affecting resale prices is somewhat moot. 

Edited by S_andrew
Edited

Totally agreee with you. There will still be some sturrbbon people who think otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Totally agreee with you. There will still be some sturrbbon people who think otherwise. 

Funny. That makes you stubborn too? 🤷🏻‍♂

37 minutes ago, S_andrew said:

Funny. That makes you stubborn too? 🤷🏻‍♂

That makes me aware of what is correct.  People like you will never learn as you do not accept you in the wrong.  

It's ok...there are all types of people in this world. 

5 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

That makes me aware of what is correct.  People like you will never learn as you do not accept you in the wrong.  

It's ok...there are all types of people in this world. 

Same what. You also do not accept it - esp when I’ve had first hand exp myself.

Diff to rationalise w mule tho 🙂 

2 hours ago, S_andrew said:

Haha I speak from experience. Not sure about you 🙂

And btw to answer your qn - yes. It was effortless to list and sell it on SGCM. 

Mlk22 is right. Some dealers don’t even want to take in! Rare or not. Your argument about common cars affecting resale prices is somewhat moot. 

Rare cars usually do not end up in any rank n file used car dealers. They are either sold directly by owners who don't mind waiting months or even years for the right buyer to appear, or advertised in like minded IM or forums

3 hours ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Some dealers have ready buyer for altis/ vios as theres demand for PHV usage hence dealer might be able to take in at a better value compared to a Skoda of the same age.

Recently i have a friend who is trying to sell his SEAT car but dealers are not willing to take in even at paper value. Scrap yards are offering $0 for the body too.

• Sad 1
  • Haha! 2

3 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

There r few myths abt Toyota cars that need to be updated.

1. FC is one of them

2. Resale value. I always post this question. For those who bought their Altis elegance @ 120k 3-4yrs ago, how much the dealer willing to take back? U can't be getting 80-90k for that car. Same like any car brand, they will suffer a huge loss.

But if better resale value = higher selling price? Then of course the selling price is higher because of the Parf n the price they bought is higher. But anyway, it's quite hard to change their mind. 

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

I am not sure are you referring to your chevy when you say that models whose AD has gone bust can command higher resale value.

It is understandable for you to think that way if you are driving chevy now.

Being too common model also mean that it is easier to sell it off as compared to for eg chevy whose GM don't even exist anymore in SG. If the car can't sell when the AD is around.. it simply mean there is low/no demand. New Chevy also can't sell. what make you think you can fetch a high resale value for a used Chevy? The wait could be very long for the right buyer to come along.

11 minutes ago, Dilemma said:

Some dealers have ready buyer for altis/ vios as theres demand for PHV usage hence dealer might be able to take in at a better value compared to a Skoda of the same age.

Recently i have a friend who is trying to sell his SEAT car but dealers are not willing to take in even at paper value. Scrap yards are offering $0 for the body too.

Same exp here too!

My BIL tried to sell his Volvo and dealers/ADs didn’t even want to take in. Tho they later offered an extremely low price (~$30k lower than SGCM). 

• Praise 3

34 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

Rare cars usually do not end up in any rank n file used car dealers. They are either sold directly by owners who don't mind waiting months or even years for the right buyer to appear, or advertised in like minded IM or forums

Yup! Agree! Don’t think this discussion was sparked off because of any rare car tho 🙂 

17 minutes ago, Dilemma said:

Phv hirer will either rent a car which is value for money or a car they like

Value for money = cheaper rental , good FC or 6 seaters ( can get more option of customers)

U see why there lesser Altis otr. Higher rental n average FC or below. U see more sienta, freed, shuttle, fit, Mazda 3 n vezel for a reason

Edited by Kia7200
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1