where's the street food in sg?

VteckiCk

Singapore has been ranked as the best city in the world for street food in 2019

Screen-Shot-2019-10-21-at-12_10.34-PM.thumb.png.2ea1e34ab869849a79eb3062262c7eaf.png

photo6154617865664309636.thumb.jpg.4812e02647345e035eafaa3a1ba745be.jpg

msians are triggered n rightfully so. as a singaporean, first thing i ask is, wheres our street food? our hawker centres are considered as street food? well it used to be out on the streets until the government decided to put them under 1 roof.

Ceoworld reported that the ranking was conducted based on four parameters:

• Number of street food vendors,
  • Affordability,
  • Number of street food experiences, and
  • Food hygiene.

perhaps for Caucasians visiting the cities, hygiene should be placed quite high up on the list. generally asians are used to "street food" but for an angmoh they may not be so accustomed to it. with the number of flies... msia have lots of street food but they're not number 1 on the list for sure.. i love msian food. cheap n good but not so much of the street ones if we talkin abt night markets etc??

where's considered street food? jonker street considered?? ipoh? penang? jb night market considered? Jalan Alor considered? night markets? cameron highland night market?? bought street food from jonker walk many times alrdy n real disappointed each time.. 

my list for asian countries

• Taiwan
  • Thailand
  • Hong Kong
  • Vietnam
  • China

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Ender said:

Can post the sauce, who conduct this poll? 

CEOWorld :D so the keyword is CEO.

who usually eat in air conditioned street [laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Malaysia not even in top 10? But sg number 1? [confused] I curious to know which street food in sg does the poll refers to le? :blink:

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 2

2 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Malaysia not even in top 10? But sg number 1? [confused] I curious to know which street food in sg does the poll refers to le? :blink:

i believe our hawker centre and kopishop is streetfood them.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, VteckiCk said:

Singapore has been ranked as the best city in the world for street food in 2019

Screen-Shot-2019-10-21-at-12_10.34-PM.thumb.png.2ea1e34ab869849a79eb3062262c7eaf.png

photo6154617865664309636.thumb.jpg.4812e02647345e035eafaa3a1ba745be.jpg

msians are triggered n rightfully so. as a singaporean, first thing i ask is, wheres our street food? our hawker centres are considered as street food? well it used to be out on the streets until the government decided to put them under 1 roof.

Ceoworld reported that the ranking was conducted based on four parameters:

• Number of street food vendors,
  • Affordability,
  • Number of street food experiences, and
  • Food hygiene.

perhaps for Caucasians visiting the cities, hygiene should be placed quite high up on the list. generally asians are used to "street food" but for an angmoh they may not be so accustomed to it. with the number of flies... msia have lots of street food but they're not number 1 on the list for sure.. i love msian food. cheap n good but not so much of the street ones if we talkin abt night markets etc??

where's considered street food? jonker street considered?? ipoh? penang? jb night market considered? Jalan Alor considered? night markets? cameron highland night market?? bought street food from jonker walk many times alrdy n real disappointed each time.. 

my list for asian countries

• Taiwan
  • Thailand
  • Hong Kong
  • Vietnam
  • China

The other end of Smith Street, Chinatown :we-all-gonna-die:

Known as "Chinatown Street Food" and it sheltered.

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

The other end of Smith Street, Chinatown :we-all-gonna-die:

Sheltered Chinatown Street Food .

Food stalls there mostly operated by Ah Tiongs. So, should be considered as Ah Tiong food instead.

• Haha! 2

22 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

I believe they are referring to this "Chinatown Street Food".

A lot of tourist dine there

then lau pa sat and outside esplanade also have.

• Praise 1

40 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Chinatown Street Food is nice but sightly expensive.

Always packed with diners every night   

Food there is nice? I never eat there before.

Singapore #1 !

number One most hygienic food beside the street? 

but Singapore food overall not that bad la.. maybe my standard not high.. 

I find Penang food nice la but not machiam out of this world.

food everywhere all taste different some how, why need to rank here and there.. different people have difference taste budS.

• Praise 4

I think hawker food is considered street food and rightfully so. Even HK has less bona fide street food now as compared to yesteryears.

I also like to commend Singapore's street (read hawker) food to be generally affordable, clean and tasty. High turnover means food contamination is unlikely, low rentals esp for 1st generation hawkers keep prices affordable although 2nd generation ones pay a premium and unfortunately, this is passed down to us consumers. Tasty recipes often give even restaurants a run for their money so overall it's [thumbsup] and so kudos to all the hardworking hawkers for making this possible!

• Praise 9

2 hours ago, Beregond said:

i believe our hawker centre and kopishop is streetfood them.

Have to say hawker centre and kopitiam very good in hygiene as compared to other food street.

but taste wise for me

Asian list:

1. Taiwan

2. China

3. South korea

4. Thailand

5. Singapore

• Praise 3

59 minutes ago, Spring said:

I think hawker food is considered street food and rightfully so. Even HK has less bona fide street food now as compared to yesteryears.

I also like to commend Singapore's street (read hawker) food to be generally affordable, clean and tasty. High turnover means food contamination is unlikely, low rentals esp for 1st generation hawkers keep prices affordable although 2nd generation ones pay a premium and unfortunately, this is passed down to us consumers. Tasty recipes often give even restaurants a run for their money so overall it's [thumbsup] and so kudos to all the hardworking hawkers for making this possible!

Somemore singapore “street food” has good and clean tables, nice cutleries as compared to other countries street food. 

But for food variety i have to say taiwan no 1. Their food are creative and have wide range of variety. 

• Praise 4

19 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Have to say hawker centre and kopitiam very good in hygiene as compared to other food street.

but taste wise for me

Asian list:

1. Taiwan

2. China

3. South korea

4. Thailand

5. Singapore

China taste good meh?

Taiwan street food has variety and is generally good but I find their pork dishes has a strong, piggy smell. Not sure if I have described it correctly but what I mean was that Taiwanese pork has a strong stench compared to our local version, I just don't understand why as pork should be pork wherever you get from in this World.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5