where's the street food in sg?

VteckiCk

i like taiwan food, but not necessary from the 'street' as food in the night market, maybe 50% but most of them i find it too 'processed' as in msg, sugar, sauce, etc.

However, their food in small shops in different town are really really good.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Why we get such recognition? I think it's our hawker food hygiene standards laid down by NEA or govt years ago....it's not an overnight thing.  

Why other countries dont get that recognition maybe ppl jiak liao lau sai, want to give award but changed their minds. Ho jiak everyone get to know. Lau sai nobody knows.

You think ppl like amtk will squat along the street next to a dirty longkang will have cravings for street food? The hawker center environment gives ppl a place to sit down and order a mass variety of food. If you eat at a food kiosk there might not be a table you have to go from a food kiosk to another. It's not just food. The environment and experience you cannot find it elsewhere. I think it's the overall experience that garner the recognition. Food is just a part of it.

Dont read into those comments coming from neighbouring countries. They are still far from what we have achieved. They are merely deluding themselves from their own comments.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

18 hours ago, Jman888 said:

then lau pa sat and outside esplanade also have.

the one beside esplanade was really bad. expensive n bad. bad representation of our "street food"

this morning both 90.5 & 91.3 discussing about this. 

For me, SG do not have Street Food. Period. The feel is totally different. And Pasar Malam doesn't count. Just plain awful Fried Stuff. 

That we are ranked No.1 simply astounds me [:p]

• Praise 1

15 minutes ago, Othello said:

this morning both 90.5 & 91.3 discussing about this. 

For me, SG do not have Street Food. Period. The feel is totally different. And Pasar Malam doesn't count. Just plain awful Fried Stuff. 

That we are ranked No.1 simply astounds me [:p]

the survey is for CEO, normal people cannot understand one unless you are a CEO  [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 1

33 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

the survey is for CEO, normal people cannot understand one unless you are a CEO  [laugh] [laugh]

i apologise for that [bigcry]

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Why we get such recognition? I think it's our hawker food hygiene standards laid down by NEA or govt years ago....it's not an overnight thing.  

Why other countries dont get that recognition maybe ppl jiak liao lau sai, want to give award but changed their minds. Ho jiak everyone get to know. Lau sai nobody knows.

You think ppl like amtk will squat along the street next to a dirty longkang will have cravings for street food? The hawker center environment gives ppl a place to sit down and order a mass variety of food. If you eat at a food kiosk there might not be a table you have to go from a food kiosk to another. It's not just food. The environment and experience you cannot find it elsewhere. I think it's the overall experience that garner the recognition. Food is just a part of it.

Dont read into those comments coming from neighbouring countries. They are still far from what we have achieved. They are merely deluding themselves from their own comments.

Different perspective I guess. I think for some, all that 'unhygienic' stuff is part of the experience. No laosai, no count.

But for ang mohs used to restaurants and likes, no aircon =  street food. And our version, the civilised, organised version, is the best to them.

Personally I also prefer our cleaner version. Trust me, it's no fun having to gamble on whether you will need the toilet after every meal. Or worse, eat something that will put you out for days with food poisoning.

• Praise 1

we need to establish the definition of what is 'street food' in this survey

it never say 'street food' is defined as food you literally can find on a street or road with a mobile push cart.  it can be loosely defined

Our hawker centres are on the ground, some next to a road and open area.  it is also considered as 'street food'. 

If we go by this loose definition, then i can see why we won the survey.  Our hawker food win hands down over other countries.

We got the flavor, the range of food variety is amazing,  in one hawker, you can literally all sort of food from different cultures, from chinese to korean to western, to malay, to indian, to nonya.  Even within Chinese food, there are different dialect food like Teochew, Hokkien, Hainanese, Foochow, Cantonese, and mainland PRC food

and the winning factor is probably we are alot cleaner than other countries. 

how many of us kena lao sai when we eat overseas street food?  

You all talk about other countries.  Yeah but can you eat the same damm food everyday?  

Edited by Jusnel
  • Praise 2

12 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

we need to establish the definition of what is 'street food' in this survey  

Methodology: The 50 cities were selected after reviewing numerous “best street food cities” lists and included those cities that appeared more than once. To get a figure for the number of street food vendors in each city CEOWORLD magazine analysed street food data in Google Maps. CEOWORLD magazine used Numbeo to find out the current price of an inexpensive meal in each city. Data from UNICEF was used to rank the cities by food hygiene. The Street Food City Index 2019 ranks the cities on 4 parameters: number of street food vendors, affordability, number of street food experiences, and food hygiene.

The data come from an annual survey of 92,000 business travellers and 1,400 corporate travel agent in 86 countries commissioned by the CEOWORLD magazine. The study was conducted over three months from July 18 – September 19, 2019.

Survey of travellers. Not Locals. Msia butt hurt. 

• Praise 2

I've just eaten a big ish meal but looking at this video I'm really hungry.

Anywhere in Singapore we can get something which looks as good?

↡ Advertisement