Tan Lark Sye recognized with a road named after him

Unltd

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/ntu-building-and-road-renamed-in-honour-of-pioneers

Tan Lark Sye got some recognition finally worthy a road named after him on the piece of land he donated.

Probably doesn’t resonate much with many, but Pretty sure the older Chinese speaking community has lots to say about this.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

I wonder in 80 years time , what would be the story for Ng Teng Fong and Khoo Teck Puat be like? Saviour to many poor who can't afford medical? 

• Praise 1

29 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Didn't know who he was. Had to read wikipedia.

Also dont know who he was and where is this road? After google, this road is inside NTU. Lol.

• Praise 1

27 minutes ago, Ender said:

I wonder in 80 years time , what would be the story for Ng Teng Fong and Khoo Teck Puat be like? Saviour to many poor who can't afford medical? 

Not to insult them but I would think Freehold selling as Leasehold

Tan Lark Sye was active in politics hence he got his slapped on his wrists 

• Praise 3

52 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Didn't know who he was. Had to read wikipedia.

Heard of him when young, from my parents, who said they helped to raise funds to build NU, which he was instrumental in setting up.

Later on i realised that i had an ex colleague who was i think a niece or grand niece...

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Atrecord said:

Heard of him when young, from my parents, who said they helped to raise funds to build NU, which he was instrumental in setting up.

Later on i realised that i had an ex colleague who was i think a niece or grand niece...

I think all the news and history about him were left out in the previous years and archived, not so easy to find.

to be able to donate the land for NTU and 5mil at that time, is not a small fortune, it’s a huge fortune. You ex colleague’s niece must be really proud about the recognition.

• Praise 1

14 hours ago, Unltd said:

I think all the news and history about him were left out in the previous years and archived, not so easy to find.

to be able to donate the land for NTU and 5mil at that time, is not a small fortune, it’s a huge fortune. You ex colleague’s niece must be really proud about the recognition.

You're quite right.

While my parents had mentioned the name a number of times since I was young, saying how the Chinese community rallied behind Tan Lark Sye's idea for a university for the Chinese educated, I don't recall seeing or hearing anything about this great man. I'd heard of Tan Kah Kee and Lee Kong Chian being behind education, and was actually wondering if somehow the names got mixed up (that time young kid didn't know much)...

Now then hear that he was supporting communist and got into trouble with the govt and had his citizenship taken away. No idea what happened to him after that.

My ex-colleague didn't mention her relationship to Tan Lark Sye, in that she didn't boast about it. I was not very close to her, but as the office was not huge, another ex-colleague mentioned it, and only then did I went to ask her one day when we spoke. Tan Lark Sye was i think her uncle or granduncle. That was almost 20 yr ago, and too bad we've lost touch - those days nokia was just starting to be popular, and got no social media that keeps everyone connected like now 😥

• Praise 1

http://www.ntu.edu.sg/AboutNTU/CorporateInfo/Pages/OurHistory.aspx#targetText=Nanyang University (1955-1980),established outside China and Taiwan.&targetText=23 March 1953%2C the Hokkien,himself donated S%245 million.

Founded in 1955, Nanyang University was the first and only Chinese university established outside China and Taiwan.

The idea of establishing a Chinese university was first mooted by Mr Tan Lark Sye on 16 January 1953. On
23 March 1953, the Hokkien Huay Kuan donated 523 acres of land for the university. Mr Tan himself donated S$5 million. His call for the establishment of the Chinese university received enthusiastic support from communities all over Southeast Asia.

In 1955, a pre-university class was started to prepare students for entry into the new university. The first batch of 584 students was admitted in 15 March 1956. There were three faculties: arts, science and commerce. Research activities were started as early as in 1957. The first batch of 437 graduates was produced in 1959. Seven years later in 1963, the student enrolment reached 2,324.

In 1980, Nanyang University closed its doors when it was legislated to merge with the National University of Singapore. In 1981, Nanyang Technological Institute was set up on the premises of the former Nanyang University.

For more on the history of Nanyang University, visit the NTU Chinese Heritage Centre.

Question is why it took so long to recognize and honour him. I believe Nanyang Uni or NU has a dark past("communist activities"). Particularly before we gain Independence or parted from Malaya.

http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/infopedia/articles/SIP_2014-04-10_153052.html

Cant help but wonder how much suppork were given by the Chinese community in setting up the uni and also the above mentioned "activities". Ahem...

And the uni's name changed over the years to now NTU. Are they trying to remove the dark stain tainting the uni's history? I think back then there were a lot going on but not mentioned. Not simple. 

Many many more common folks from coolies, odd jobbers, Hawkers, sansui women, ah mahs...etc donated to build NU. 

I wonder how much our former colonial ruler had contributed to that Uni. Not necessarily in financial term...

53 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

http://www.ntu.edu.sg/AboutNTU/CorporateInfo/Pages/OurHistory.aspx#targetText=Nanyang University (1955-1980),established outside China and Taiwan.&targetText=23 March 1953%2C the Hokkien,himself donated S%245 million.

Question is why it took so long to recognize and honour him. I believe Nanyang Uni or NU has a dark past("communist activities"). Particularly before we gain Independence or parted from Malaya.

http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/infopedia/articles/SIP_2014-04-10_153052.html

Cant help but wonder how much suppork were given by the Chinese community in setting up the uni and also the above mentioned "activities". Ahem...

And the uni's name changed over the years to now NTU. Are they trying to remove the dark stain tainting the uni's history? I think back then there were a lot going on but not mentioned. Not simple. 

For this, you gotta dig up the history of Singapore when there was not only 1 dominant party, why and how were the Chinese educated sidelined. It is an interesting nugget of history that some would prefer is forgotten.

↡ Advertisement