Android HU from Taobao

Stryker

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

can any kind soul shed some light on those android HU found in taobao, esp those with android auto?
how is the sound quality like and do they break down easily?

I'm currently using a pioneer x5850bt but its starting to feel crippled- can't run spotify, gps and i have no idea how to run appsadio.

↡ Advertisement

I've been looking at Android HU for a while but not bought yet. I do have friends who have installed them.

do get one with at least 2Gb (or 4Gb even better). the 1Gb ones are laggy.

some overseas users have reported overheating issues, esp if run for long periods of time. Some have modded the unit with heat sink at the rear.

The quality varies but the more "branded" ones are Pumpkin Auto and Joying. Usually higher spec n cost more. Still made in China though.

also check which version of Android they are using. Now the latest version is Android 10. Initially I was keen on Atoto but they only have Android 6.

The newer Pioneer units will be Android Auto capable. The latest ones can connect to AA wirelessly... no need cable. Not cheap though.

Alternatively you may want to check out Kenwood DDX9018s that has Android Auto and Apple CarPlay ready. Price is also not scary. However this is the standard 2DIN size HU which may need a plastic frame and steel bracket to mount and will not be seamless. 

1 minute ago, Ichibawa said:

Alternatively you may want to check out Kenwood DDX9018s that has Android Auto and Apple CarPlay ready. Price is also not scary. However this is the standard 2DIN size HU which may need a plastic frame and steel bracket to mount and will not be seamless. 

for some reason, Pioneer HU are more popular here than Kenwood.

I'm currently using a kenwood dnx9170. The touchscreen is nicer than the pioneer 8k series [laugh] 

1 hour ago, JohnSHL said:

for some reason, Pioneer HU are more popular here than Kenwood.

I'm currently using a kenwood dnx9170. The touchscreen is nicer than the pioneer 8k series [laugh] 

I got the same unit. The Kenwood HU is of better spec than any Pioneer's. Kenwood already using capacitive touch screen while Pioneer still using resistive. 

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Ichibawa said:

I got the same unit. The Kenwood HU is of better spec than any Pioneer's. Kenwood already using capacitive touch screen while Pioneer still using resistive. 

did u update the 9170 firmware? I tried last time but SD card failed.

↡ Advertisement