Why plastic straw bans aren’t the answer.

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Why plastic straw bans aren’t the answer.

vNmKQUX.png

So recently I had lunch with @spzen and she went to buy her fav toast box's iced milk tea and they are pushing for a no-straw movement. And this kept me wondering if these bans are effective for the environment? Or the action we have is so minimal that it doesn't have any impact?

qHZ7rlS.png

So this movement is been awhile, and I think it started with KFC. And now a lot of F&B outlet has been following these trends to show that they are enviroment friendly. This help to showcase a better CSR for their corporate identity.

YH08sG7.png

But is straw ban really effective?

2tBB2CY.png

Plastic straw only made up 0.25% of the total mass of ocean trash.

XBjRfQA.jpg

If every straw is about 0.4 grams, we will throw around 3,320 metric tonnes of straw. You may think it is a lot. But wait for it.

AXGKzzQ.png

We have 8,000,000 metric tons of plastic waste in the ocean.

PXgcOGC.png

So just a small part of the waste is made up of straw.

Kq0lmmb.png

But the idea of going straw-free is easy to implement. Maybe in the future we will up the game a bit more?

tkvecEb.png

So there are tons of alternative to straws nowadays. I have tried paper and metal, Paper will get soggy very fast and it has a very unpleasant taste to it. Whereas metal ones are dangerous. A friend of mine once told me that someone dies chocking of a metal straw. And I have a habit of biting straw too. I don't think I wanna go see the dentist so often.

wB4ppPt.png

Currently, the alternative is well elaborated. You can choose from all sort of materials! I wonder where can I try pasta straw? Pastamania?

qxA18NP.png

So, banning straw are minimally effective to save the environment

kuLzRB2.jpg

Compared to 3,320 tonnes of straws, I think the fishing net is a bigger problem. I am also not saying I will give up eating salmons and tuna. hahaha.

6esDgkz.png

I think food packaging waste is more of a practical approach to plastic waste. I came across Carlsberg have ditch plastic wrapping for a new glue technology. I will give kudos to Carlsberg for this ingenious approach to better waste management. 

Carlsberg-ditches-plastic-wrapping-on-si

So the next time we go to an eatery or f&b establishment, don't need to feel guilty. You can just continue to use a straw. If not how I drink my boba tea!

tenor.gif?itemid=5254903

Watch the video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CAim_uGjcI

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

why not add in plastic spoons forks cups plates etc

banning straws only is like saying, 'OK, we support saving the earth, we ban all plastic straws now'.

i hope its a start to more bans and it dun stop here only

• Praise 3

Internal Moderator

I am switching from liquid body soap to bar soap.

Lifebuoy-Antibacterial-Body-Wash-Cool-Fr

Look at the amount of plastic you have for each bottle.

th?id=OIP.L9-KmFZr9rtBZRLO4ED86QHaHa%26p

The packaging usually is paper wrap so I think is more environmentally friendly.

But I personally think that bar soap is way cheaper than liquid soap. Haha. I am a cheapskate.

• Praise 7
  • Haha! 1

1 minute ago, kobayashiGT said:

The packaging usually is paper wrap so I think is more environmentally friendly.

But I personally think that bar soap is way cheaper than liquid soap. Haha. I am a cheapskate.

To help the environment:

no aircon

Heated shower only if solar thermal heater

bicycle, no car bus mrt

no meat

No airplane 

no Taobao amazon because of the transportation energy needs

hard lah

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, Mustank said:

To help the environment:

no aircon

Heated shower only if solar thermal heater

bicycle, no car bus mrt

no meat

No airplane 

no Taobao amazon because of the transportation energy needs

hard lah

Hahah. Sound like going thur monkhood like that.

• Praise 1

This is like the switching off lights but wear jackets campaign lor. Lights.are very visible,  everyone can see. Air con than wear winter wear nobody knows . Haha 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

6 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Hahah. Sound like going thur monkhood like that.

No choice because the real problem is fossil fuel

hopefully humans can make a safe power generator 

• Praise 1

Twincharged
25 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Have been using bar soap for many years already... Cheaper is my main reason. And no specific loyalty to any brand. 

If we don't start somewhere, we will not go anywhere and be stagnant. Pollution is real and at least straws, which are easier to implement, gets to go first. Hopefully there are more initiatives to ride on the momentum and not stop here. 

• Praise 6

Internal Moderator
19 minutes ago, Mustank said:

No choice because the real problem is fossil fuel

hopefully humans can make a safe power generator 

Speaking of which hor. I think there is an answer le. But dunno they can keep up the demand anot.

• Praise 1

Global warming is caused by CO2. Humans breath out CO2, that's the root cause, not straws nor plastic bags. Environmental damage also caused by humans.  When the earth gets too warm, and environment gets too bad, food production will come down. Human numbers will be reduced accordingly since there's not enough food and oxygen. Then there will be less CO2 emissions and less environment damage. The earth will recover. And the cycle continues. 

Either that or Thanos' quickie solution. Even that is temporary as animals and humans will reproduce more raoidly to exploit the extra resources per capita. 

So don't worry! 

• Praise 2

17 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Global warming is caused by CO2. Humans breath out CO2, that's the root cause, not straws nor plastic bags. Environmental damage also caused by humans.  When the earth gets too warm, and environment gets too bad, food production will come down. Human numbers will be reduced accordingly since there's not enough food and oxygen. Then there will be less CO2 emissions and less environment damage. The earth will recover. And the cycle continues. 

Either that or Thanos' quickie solution. Even that is temporary as animals and humans will reproduce more raoidly to exploit the extra resources per capita. 

So don't worry! 

What abt the amt of co2 produced when manufacturing those plastics? Doesn't that count as well? Your theory is partially right if all humans dispose off their plastics correctly and not into the sea. 

• Praise 1

So many focus on the straw and the environment but nobody pay attention to the hygiene.

So many kiss the same cup or glass when we dont use the straw and you dunno how thoroughly the glass is being washed. Unless we use disposable but it creates more trash. Dont tell me we have to resort to bringing our own cups? LoL...

• Praise 1

17 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

Have been using bar soap for many years already... Cheaper is my main reason. And no specific loyalty to any brand. 

People dont use bar soap could be the residue left on the floor, sometimes can get quite dirty and messy. Anyway, reducing the use of air-con and the aircon temperature setting also help save the earth. You see everywhere now the air-con is on full blast and temperature is set 22 degree and below de! Lol.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

So many focus on the straw and the environment but nobody pay attention to the hygiene.

So many kiss the same cup or glass when we dont use the straw and you dunno how thoroughly the glass is being washed. Unless we use disposable but it creates more trash. Dont tell me we have to resort to bringing our own cups? LoL...

Like this we should also bring our own spoon, chopstick, plate and bowl when eat outside liao?! Since we also dont know how thoroughly it is washed and so many people have kiss them?!  

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1