Datsun, Go or No Go

Carbon82

OK, it not about the Go model, but the Datsun brand under Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance... 

743408a5-datsun-go-02.jpg

Datsun Brand Might Bite The Dust As Part Of Nissan’s Recovery Plan

1200px-Datsun_logo.svg.png

Nissan might ditch the Datsun brand altogether as part of its upcoming recovery plan, which includes axing some of its unprofitable products and closing down under-utilized assembly lines worldwide.

Quoting sources with direct knowledge of the matter, Reuters reports that the recovery plan marks a 180-degree turn with Nissan’s ambitious strategy under ex-CEO Carlos Ghosn, who was arrested and charged with financial misconduct.

Things with Datsun, which was revived as a brand for emerging markets, didn’t exactly go as Nissan hoped after launching it in 2014 in regions like Indonesia, India, Russia and South Africa. That’s because, following a relatively good start, the budget-conscious brand started eating into Nissan’s own sales.

“We ended up pushing two mainstream brands in a market where you have a one or two percent market share. You cannot do that,” one of the sources said.

Shutting down under-utilized production lines will also impact Nissan’s factories in emerging markets tasked with producing Datsun models and other small cars, according to the same sources. “We need to chart a recovery but the rot goes deep,” one of them said.

All markets with factories outside China are being examined for possible reductions in production capacity, but there are currently no plans to close an entire plant or withdraw completely from any country.

Nissan, which is on course to post its lowest operating profit in 11 years, also plans to kill unprofitable variants of the Titan full-size pickup truck, like the single-cab and diesel models.

The US remains one of Nissan’s biggest markets, but the recovery plan will demand a new effort to put a stop at the company’s practice of buying market share by selling its models to rental car and other fleet operators at heavy discounts, something that has plunged the company’s profitability and brand image.

“We’re trying to clean up what had happened in the past,” one of the sources said, adding that under Ghosn, Nissan had to meet sales objectives at any cost, and that included “practically giving away cars” to fleet customers.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Thanks for sharing this info. I tot Datsun this brand all along had gone into history. The 1st car I sat in as a kid was a Datsun van which the front is the 120Y. 

In my poly days during the end 90s, I hv been fortunate enough to drive some nearly-20 yrs oldies like Datsun pickups, 100A, Accords, Civics, Lancer or Colts then newer cars like Charade then Suzie Swift etc etc thou some are not considered very old. Wont forget the days during army that I rode the Honda Scrambler, the square headlight Lancer & Landrovers too.

😊

• Praise 3

@Unfazed yes, I also have fond memories of Datsun, as we used to have the 120Y in the mid 70s for a full 10 years. But the Datsun today is quite different from the old days, with model sourced from Nissan and even Lada! 

Datsun is an automobile brand owned by Nissan. Datsun's original production run began in 1931. From 1958 to 1986, only vehicles exported by Nissan were identified as Datsun. By 1986 Nissan had phased out the Datsun name, but re-launched it in June 2013 as the brand for low-cost vehicles manufactured for emerging markets, such as Indonesia, South Africa, India, and Russia.

On 20 March 2012, it was announced that Nissan would revive the Datsun marque as a low-cost car brand for use in Indonesia, South Africa, India, and Russia, and on 15 July 2013, nearly three decades after it was phased out, the name was formally resurrected. Nissan said the brand's reputation for value and reliability would help it gain market share in emerging markets.

The Datsun brand was re-launched in New Delhi, India, with the Datsun Go, planned to be on sale in India in early 2014. Datsun models are sold in Indonesia, Russia, India and South Africa since 2014. The brand entered Kazakhstan in 2015, Belarus and Lebanon in 2016.

The Datsun Go are built at the Renault-Nissan plant in Chennai, India. The Go is based on the same Nissan V platform as the Nissan Micra. The Go+, a minivan, was added to the range in September 2013.

In April 2014, the first model for the Russian market, the Datsun on-Do based on Lada Granta, was launched.

• Praise 6

6 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

@Unfazed yes, I also have fond memories of Datsun, as we used to have the 120Y in the mid 70s for a full 10 years. But the Datsun today is quite different from the old days, with model sourced from Nissan and even Lada! 

Datsun is an automobile brand owned by Nissan. Datsun's original production run began in 1931. From 1958 to 1986, only vehicles exported by Nissan were identified as Datsun. By 1986 Nissan had phased out the Datsun name, but re-launched it in June 2013 as the brand for low-cost vehicles manufactured for emerging markets, such as Indonesia, South Africa, India, and Russia.

On 20 March 2012, it was announced that Nissan would revive the Datsun marque as a low-cost car brand for use in Indonesia, South Africa, India, and Russia, and on 15 July 2013, nearly three decades after it was phased out, the name was formally resurrected. Nissan said the brand's reputation for value and reliability would help it gain market share in emerging markets.

The Datsun brand was re-launched in New Delhi, India, with the Datsun Go, planned to be on sale in India in early 2014. Datsun models are sold in Indonesia, Russia, India and South Africa since 2014. The brand entered Kazakhstan in 2015, Belarus and Lebanon in 2016.

The Datsun Go are built at the Renault-Nissan plant in Chennai, India. The Go is based on the same Nissan V platform as the Nissan Micra. The Go+, a minivan, was added to the range in September 2013.

In April 2014, the first model for the Russian market, the Datsun on-Do based on Lada Granta, was launched.

My impression was Datsun was the predecessor of Nissan ie Datsun became Nissan. I've some fond memories of Datsun as I got my driving license in a Datsun 120Y which was the staple car for learner drivers in the 80s.

• Praise 4

Bring back column shift too lah. 

Many xiao didi will be wondering what is "column shift". It's a manual transmission stick shift mounted on the steering wheel column where your wiper stick is located now.

Bring back a dinosaur name like datsun will only bring back old memories. Nothing else. Dont think it will sell more cars.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 2

20 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Datsin 100A FII was my ride to poly days. 

Grateful for that. Its what my father bought for me then. 

I go skool by BMW ....... Bas , MRT, Walk 😫

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

20 hours ago, Spring said:

My impression was Datsun was the predecessor of Nissan ie Datsun became Nissan. I've some fond memories of Datsun as I got my driving license in a Datsun 120Y which was the staple car for learner drivers in the 80s.

Yeap those days L learner  was Datsun or the ugly heavy Morris minor ( damn heavy ) 

• Praise 4

21 hours ago, Spring said:

May be it would attract some brand loyals, like what Chevrolet does! They don't mind that it is in fact kim chi!

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Fitvip said:

May be it would attract some brand loyals, like what Chevrolet does! They don't mind that it is in fact kim chi!

In fact Datsun was doing a little too well till it eat into Nissan market share, thus the decision to keep or kill it!:omg:

Some model under Datsun.

datsun_redi-go_4_013d0070084305a2.jpg

datsun_go_4_011e0076086a05bb.jpg

datsun_go_3_01410091084f05af.jpg

datsun_cross_2.jpg

datsun_mi-do_1.jpg

datsun_on-do_1.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6