50a61e7c-2020-genesis-gv80-spy-shots-2.j

eefc9039-2020-genesis-gv80-spy-shots-3.j

d12f4bb3-2020-genesis-gv80-spy-shots-4.j

365f1ad3-2020-genesis-gv80-spy-shots-5.j

82597f20-2020-genesis-gv80-spy-shots-6.j

5a6c14aa-2020-genesis-gv80-spy-shots-7.j

3ecad281-2020-genesis-gv80-spy-shots-8.j

4da0dfce-2020-genesis-gv80-spy-shots-9.j

d8e082fa-2020-genesis-gv80-spy-shots-10.

The wait for Genesis’ first SUV is almost over as we’re nearing the GV80’s world debut which will most likely happen at the LA Auto Show next month.

The fact that the launch is just around the corner is obvious in the new camouflage adopted by 2020 GV80 prototypes. One of them was spotted at the Nürburgring with a tight fit camouflage covering the final production body, giving us the best look yet at Korea’s upcoming premium midsize SUV.

Looking like a toned down version of the GV80 Concept, the production model adopts very similar horizontal headlights and taillights consisting of two parallel elements. The proportions are similar to the namesake concept as well, albeit less athletic and more massive.

The third lateral window is fully covered by camouflage tape but a closer look reveals a triangular outline reminiscent of the GV80 Concept. In these photos, the Genesis GV80 does not appear to be fully in its element negotiating the treacherous Nordschleife.

This should come as no surprise, since we’re talking about a massive SUV that’s 4,945-mm long, 1,975-mm wide and 1,715-mm high. Therefore, it will need powerful engines and the good news is it will get them.

Earlier this week, Genesis confirmed a lineup of three powertrains for GV80: turbocharged Smartstream G2.5 T-GDi 2.5-liter four-cylinder and Smartstream G3.5 T-GDi 3.5-liter V6 gasoline units, plus a Smartstream D3.0 3.0-liter straight-six diesel. The four-cylinder delivers 304 PS (300 HP) while the V6 produces 380 PS (375 HP). The diesel is said to offer 278 PS (274 HP) but it will probably not be available in the United States. A new eight-speed dual-clutch automatic will also be part of the lineup.

The 2020 Genesis GV80 is the first of three SUVs to be launched by the Korean luxury brand, including a compact GV70 and an unspecified model.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

not bad looking even with camo on. :D

Somehow the look reminds me of XC 90 and Bentayga.

volvo_xc90_t8_twin_engine_r-design_17_05

bentley_bentayga_91.jpg

1 hour ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Why need to test a big luxury SUV at Nurburgring??

Testing it 3.5 V6 engine, which is good for 380ps horsepower? Have to say the spec look quite good on paper, while the rest would be it handling, which maybe the Hyundai's engineers are trying to find out, by letting it run a little wilder on  Nürburgring?

• Praise 6

1 hour ago, teomingern said:

They all look the same... nothing new... not even useful... why bother with SUVs?

Its SUVs and crossover craze worldwide these days. You should know by now that nobody buy sedans or hatches these days. This is why sedans are dying fast and you see big companies eg Ford and GM dropping most of their sedans lineup except their sports cars.

And since large heavy SUVs are less agile and ride poorly by default, it is up to the engineers to make changes to it so that a 2-2.5 ton SUV can handle as well as your hot Type R. 

Its the golden age actually, more power, more brakes, ultra tough suspension etc. All these are what motoring is all about... Fuel economy... who needs that... :D

On 10/30/2019 at 2:49 PM, Cheefarn said:

Its SUVs and crossover craze worldwide these days. You should know by now that nobody buy sedans or hatches these days. This is why sedans are dying fast and you see big companies eg Ford and GM dropping most of their sedans lineup except their sports cars.

And since large heavy SUVs are less agile and ride poorly by default, it is up to the engineers to make changes to it so that a 2-2.5 ton SUV can handle as well as your hot Type R. 

Its the golden age actually, more power, more brakes, ultra tough suspension etc. All these are what motoring is all about... Fuel economy... who needs that... :D

In the US maybe... sedans still going strong in Asia, hatches in Europe...

On 10/30/2019 at 2:49 PM, Cheefarn said:

SUV is catering for North America and Chinese market. Million of SUV sold.

On 11/5/2019 at 4:15 PM, teomingern said:

In the US maybe... sedans still going strong in Asia, hatches in Europe...

50 minutes ago, Twich said:

i still perfer the sedan over the SUV, i doubt i will ever buy a SUV 😐

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Beregond said:

I said the same thing before i drive pickup truck.

• Praise 1

Coming soon. Official photos from Genesis.

2020-Genesis-GV80-Carscoops-5.jpg

2020-Genesis-GV80-Carscoops-4.jpg

2020-Genesis-GV80-Carscoops-3.jpg

2020-Genesis-GV80-Carscoops-2.jpg

Genesis said that the GV80 is set to launch globally in 2020, with sales to commence in its home market of South Korea in January.

The new GV80 is based on a rear-wheel-drive platform unique to the Genesis brand, with all-wheel drive being optional. While no powertrains have been officially confirmed yet, leaked information from South Korea talks of the availability of three engines in its home market.

At launch, there will be a 3.0-liter V6 turbo diesel producing 274 hp (205 kW / 278 PS) and 434 lb-ft (589 Nm) paired to an 8-speed automatic for a 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in 6.8 seconds.

A few weeks later, it will be joined by a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder delivering 300 hp (224 kW / 304 PS) and 311 lb-ft (422 Nm) of torque allowing for a 0-62 mph (100 km/h) in 6.9 seconds. Sitting at the top of the range will be a 3.5-liter turbocharged V6 with 375 hp (279 kW / 380 PS) and 390 lb-ft (530 Nm) of torque, which drops the 0-62mph (100km/h) time to 5.7 seconds.

• Praise 7

On 12/4/2019 at 4:16 PM, Beregond said:

To be frank, the added height SUV offers, esp those real full size body on frame SUVs, is really useful in SG. People give way to u instead of the other way ard. And u can still drive through flash floods unscathed while sedans would drown

And with enough power, SUVs can outrun most B n B sedans anytime. Weighing 2 tons doesn't mean they can't do 0-100 in 6 secs hor... :D 

20 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Coming soon. Official photos from Genesis.

2020-Genesis-GV80-Carscoops-5.jpg

2020-Genesis-GV80-Carscoops-4.jpg

2020-Genesis-GV80-Carscoops-3.jpg

2020-Genesis-GV80-Carscoops-2.jpg

Genesis said that the GV80 is set to launch globally in 2020, with sales to commence in its home market of South Korea in January.

The new GV80 is based on a rear-wheel-drive platform unique to the Genesis brand, with all-wheel drive being optional. While no powertrains have been officially confirmed yet, leaked information from South Korea talks of the availability of three engines in its home market.

At launch, there will be a 3.0-liter V6 turbo diesel producing 274 hp (205 kW / 278 PS) and 434 lb-ft (589 Nm) paired to an 8-speed automatic for a 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) in 6.8 seconds.

A few weeks later, it will be joined by a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder delivering 300 hp (224 kW / 304 PS) and 311 lb-ft (422 Nm) of torque allowing for a 0-62 mph (100 km/h) in 6.9 seconds. Sitting at the top of the range will be a 3.5-liter turbocharged V6 with 375 hp (279 kW / 380 PS) and 390 lb-ft (530 Nm) of torque, which drops the 0-62mph (100km/h) time to 5.7 seconds.

Probably at least 150k and above in cx9 territory? 

For that pricing, people will just buy a conti like a3/a4/a or c class. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1