2020 4th Generation Skoda Octavia

Carbon82

18 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

To be fair to supporters from both camp, let me do a side by side comparison using official photos, which has been touched up for better visual appeal to the potential buyers.

b27f9783cbee0fd2c0384deff3aaa7761f9f38a2

9ee606428037fd765c17d6ee3bee569ffb849d76

skoda_octavia_iv_combi_37.jpg

9a2be2dce97ab352df857ad6fa694cb3c1a144de

skoda_octavia_combi_56.jpg

toyota_corolla_le_sedan_7.jpg

Well bro, you are giving our casual readers a false sense of optimism that our upcoming G12 Corolla sedan by BM will have such nice integrated flat screen HU and a fancy semi digital instrument cluster. 

We will have NONE of those since that factory HU will cost too much for a Toyota in SG. It will be that super ugly 2DIN local fitted HU as seen in my attachment pics above. It will have no Apple CP nor Android Auto. The instrument cluster will be full analog similar to what we have for current G11. Again semi digital will make BM loose money for it will add to OMV

And of cos our G12 Altis will be using the current antique 1.6L. No hybrid nor 1.8L.. and no way to have 2L Dynamic Force engine in this part of the world. 

Just don't question why other makes can offer all these for less money in SG. Toyota sells by the badge alone. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

When it comes to SG, surely striped off the premium stuff like bonnet struts, rear window shades, etc, maybe even the mobile phone pocket. Oh ya, and the snow brush!

• Haha! 2

35 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

Well bro, you are giving our casual readers a false sense of optimism that our upcoming G12 Corolla sedan by BM will have such nice integrated flat screen HU and a fancy semi digital instrument cluster. 

We will have NONE of those since that factory HU will cost too much for a Toyota in SG. It will be that super ugly 2DIN local fitted HU as seen in my attachment pics above. It will have no Apple CP nor Android Auto. The instrument cluster will be full analog similar to what we have for current G11. Again semi digital will make BM loose money for it will add to OMV

And of cos our G12 Altis will be using the current antique 1.6L. No hybrid nor 1.8L.. and no way to have 2L Dynamic Force engine in this part of the world. 

Just don't question why other makes can offer all these for less money in SG. Toyota sells by the badge alone. 

I am just doing an apple-to-apple comparison between the 2 (since you are the one who pointed out some similarities between both). The same can be said for Skoda, as the local AD is unlikely to bring in the full spec version for cost and pricing reasons.

But just by the simple photo comparison (basing on similar specs), I guess many would be able to tell which is the winner without blinking an eye. Price and sales volume is a separate issue here due to tax reasons and some perceptual issue.

I do however have high hope for the new model, not because I am a fan boy, but for its practicality. To begin with, the size of the latest Octavia is already in the territory of the Mark II Superb, which I have owned for close to 4.5 years.

2020-skoda-octavia-94.jpg

superb_2_ft.jpg

• Praise 9
  • Haha! 1

21 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

I see the new Octavia a direct competitor to the Audi A4, in aesthetic and technical aspect. The things that will likely be drawing them apart are the choice of material and built quality, beside the badge (of course).

There is just 1 question lingering in my mind: Will it eat into the market share of the larger Superb, since both are equally upmarket as of current?

i guess both cater to different buyers like a4 vs a6. But then in SG context, not sure how much, if any, market share does superb has.

but a upmarket and good looking octavia sure will raise its and skoda's profile

The skoda Octavia base model seems more like a direct competitor with other entry level sedans.

Probably A3 and if the Octavia is priced below 100k, its gonna be a hot seller, same as previously when it was selling at around 99k.

Superb is more of a direct fight with A4 and as usual the price of superb wins hands down. 

Give me a choice of a sedan at 90+/100k range such as civic vs altis vs octavia. I will take octavia anytime if I want to venture into conti car. Reliability of skoda is pretty good as well. 

Civic with 2 airbags, what a joke. Altis with shitty interior,  pass. Pretty sure the altis in sg market will come with an aftermarket 2 din headunit and barebone unless you pay the additional premium looking at how BM conducts its business. 

https://m.sgcarmart.com/articles/articleinfo.php?CT=n&AID=22163

Edited by ferrytales

3 hours ago, ferrytales said:

The skoda Octavia base model seems more like a direct competitor with other entry level sedans.

Probably A3 and if the Octavia is priced below 100k, its gonna be a hot seller, same as previously when it was selling at around 99k.

Superb is more of a direct fight with A4 and as usual the price of superb wins hands down. 

Give me a choice of a sedan at 90+/100k range such as civic vs altis vs octavia. I will take octavia anytime if I want to venture into conti car. Reliability of skoda is pretty good as well. 

Civic with 2 airbags, what a joke. Altis with shitty interior,  pass. Pretty sure the altis in sg market will come with an aftermarket 2 din headunit and barebone unless you pay the additional premium looking at how BM conducts its business. 

There are hoards of buyers who will buy jap even if it costs more, have zero airbags, drum brakes, low tech engines & gearboxes, poor NVH, cheap interiors coz you know........it's still 1985. 

Edited by Soya
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Soya said:

There are hoards of buyers who will buy jap even if it costs more, have zero airbags, drum brakes, low tech engines & gearboxes, poor NVH, cheap interiors coz you know........it's still 1985. 

For a simple reason, becos Toyota have excellent resale value mah. And they are super reliable. You need to beg people to buy your used Skoda, No self respecting used car dealer will take your Skoda, those that do just offer u at scrap value, which u can scrap it yourself .

Skoda parts will be very difficult and super ex to get. And do u see any PHV Skoda on the roads? No right? It shows how unreliable it is LOL..

That's the common perception among sinkies against non lux, non Japs brands

39 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

For a simple reason, becos Toyota have excellent resale value mah. And they are super reliable. You need to beg people to buy your used Skoda, No self respecting used car dealer will take your Skoda, those that do just offer u at scrap value, which u can scrap it yourself .

Skoda parts will be very difficult and super ex to get. And do u see any PHV Skoda on the roads? No right? It shows how unreliable it is LOL..

I do not want my car model to be associate with any PHV. Such as Altis, Freed and etc.

Edited by Twich
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Cheefarn said:

I think skoda cars are excellent and reliable. I drove a 2nd hand octavia in the UK for 3 years. Parts wise can gt from stockist it wont cost u a bomb or a leg like u said that is provided you know where to gt. To be honest any car parts frm AD in spore is bloody exp. 

In spore their resalve value might not be as good but i wont discount them as highly unreliable cars outright. 

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

For a simple reason, becos Toyota have excellent resale value mah. And they are super reliable. You need to beg people to buy your used Skoda, No self respecting used car dealer will take your Skoda, those that do just offer u at scrap value, which u can scrap it yourself .

In my opinion, selling a bread n butter car is the same regardless of brand. If you have no time or patience, then have lower expectations. More people wanting to buy does not mean better price, only means can sell faster.

I had few enquiries but was able to sell my Dec 2009 Octavia at $3k above paper value with 6 months left before coe expires. Skodas are popular with exporters.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

2 spokes design really weird, wonder if sellers on taobao will come out with an aftermarket third spoke to fit in there

Edited by _SC

Another thing i notice is the air con vents are positioned much lower..  almost at rib cage level.. how effective is the air con then, since we all know cold air sinks.

18 hours ago, ferrytales said:

Given that new A3 hasn't been launched, maybe by end of 2020, when both cars start selling.

Bare bone A3 vs Full Spec'd Octy, I wonder what are most ppl's choices..

11 minutes ago, Beanoyip said:

Given that new A3 hasn't been launched, maybe by end of 2020, when both cars start selling.

Confirm A3 ...

56 minutes ago, Beanoyip said:

A3, because I have to beg people to buy a skoda.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

Another thing i notice is the air con vents are positioned much lower..  almost at rib cage level.. how effective is the air con then, since we all know cold air sinks.

haha bro, your aircon temp is -70C, like dry ice meh?

u can adjust fan speed anyway

• Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

Clever people will buy Skoda cos it's simply clever. Haha. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

49 minutes ago, SZ_ford said:

haha bro, your aircon temp is -70C, like dry ice meh?

u can adjust fan speed anyway

Haha just saying la.. now need to tilt the vents up to blow your face.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1