2020 4th Generation Skoda Octavia

Carbon82

13 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Here's the answer, by the friendly number man from MCF. Just don't ask me how I get the OMV of Octavia... :D  

M2zmQGU.png

As you can see, the VES rebate play a big part in the pricing of the new Octavia. Regardless of the price difference, Octavia is a better choice in almost every aspect. Go figure. [:)]

Wow are you a car salesman? haha Just kidding. 

Anyway, just for discussion purposes I think that's a super overestimation of the profit. Of course if you apply it fairly across all models as a comparison it's ok, but I really don't think Skoda, at this level, can make $20,000 per car. Mainly because the $3,000 is hardly enough to cover the "misc". 

1. For skoda owners (i know cuz i'm an octavia owner), the 3rd to 5th year warranty is provided by SCS. The provision will definitely be > $1,000/year. 
2. 3 years servicing to have provision of $1,000-$2,000 in total is fair. 
3. the solar film and in-car camera given by SCS
4. salesman commission 
5. other miscellaneous cost

Personally, I feel that $7,000-$8,000 will be a better estimate for the misc row. 

Also, the Scala and Kamiq are not e-Tec if i'm not wrong. 

during the latest GSS, SCS was selling the Scala at 116900. Based on these calculations and my above assumptions, I think they are running on almost break even to clear those stocks. 

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Actually most people will be fine with the Ambition based on the specs.
Wireless airplay/AA, 18" rims are the main key differences other than trim and upholstery.
I think the sedan looks nicer than the combi's rear. 

Haha i wish there was a lower spec combi. I dont really need a sunroof or what.

If u get the style sedan, u might as well get the Combi for the additional space + collision mitigation (which is by far the most important of all safety tech, rather than lane keep/rear cross traffic alert which is pretty useless in SG)

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)
28 minutes ago, berry64694 said:

Wow are you a car salesman? haha Just kidding. 

Anyway, just for discussion purposes I think that's a super overestimation of the profit. Of course if you apply it fairly across all models as a comparison it's ok, but I really don't think Skoda, at this level, can make $20,000 per car. Mainly because the $3,000 is hardly enough to cover the "misc". 

1. For skoda owners (i know cuz i'm an octavia owner), the 3rd to 5th year warranty is provided by SCS. The provision will definitely be > $1,000/year. 
2. 3 years servicing to have provision of $1,000-$2,000 in total is fair. 
3. the solar film and in-car camera given by SCS
4. salesman commission 
5. other miscellaneous cost

Personally, I feel that $7,000-$8,000 will be a better estimate for the misc row. 

Also, the Scala and Kamiq are not e-Tec if i'm not wrong. 

during the latest GSS, SCS was selling the Scala at 116900. Based on these calculations and my above assumptions, I think they are running on almost break even to clear those stocks. 

3-5yr is an insurance based coverage. Not direct from SCS pocket in the sense( of course it’s based on a negotiated premium) Thus I would say even more subjective in terms of claims vs factory warranty. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

11 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

If you had put the octavia ambition in at $123900. The gap to the scala ambition would probably be just $500/yr. Coupled with the slight better FC, the eventual gap would probably be $250-400/yr. 

thus my earlier point about why bother with the scala. 

Just do the math. You won't get those numbers if you fairly also compare the scala sale price@Mkl22

Twincharged
49 minutes ago, emman said:

Just do the math. You won't get those numbers if you fairly also compare the scala sale price@Mkl22

the math is based on published numbers. i cannot see or know the actual sale prices. of course this is a purely academic exercise.

did you buy a scala? else why so defensive

Viewed and test drove the Combi yesterday..

It's a good package with all the safety features and aesthetics.. be one of the first owners of the Combi or wait till COE to soften.. then again, will it ever...?

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Sinicker said:

Viewed and test drove the Combi yesterday..

It's a good package with all the safety features and aesthetics.. be one of the first owners of the Combi or wait till COE to soften.. then again, will it ever...?

Yes, it is a beauty! [thumbsup] Go with your heart. BTW no one buy a car at list price, always try to nego for a better deal, be it purchase price, trade-in value or service package... [;)]

s93oxuX.jpg

4AnH688.jpg

pqL1oWH.jpg

I2jptFG.jpg

rgYR1eK.jpg

EbvHzbb.jpg

DidVwdI.jpg

ylifzvS.jpg

dA04qg2.jpg

• Praise 18

Between the liftback and combi, I will take the latter anytime. The whole car feel just so different with more light into the cabin and not to mention the boot space, which is even larger than my previous 2nd gen Superb! 

DUdIECh.jpg

6jYzgpO.jpg

H47MmU5.jpg

cOIcwCA.jpg

FZuJzys.jpg

kfpzghX.jpg

IAGzFY6.jpg

oZ1ahoy.jpg

TdBzxQi.jpg

xBB1aMd.jpg

bE3IDSm.jpg

JWbelum.jpg

• Praise 14

2 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

the math is based on published numbers. i cannot see or know the actual sale prices. of course this is a purely academic exercise.

did you buy a scala? else why so defensive

I see my mistake now, the gss numbers have recently been removed. Then indeed you may get your $500 gap. 

In any case I do agree with the general sentiment that the Octavia is the better buy if you don't have a preference for small cars / hatchbacks. 

Also think that the combi is 🔥🔥🔥

• Haha! 2

Thanks @berry64694 for pointing out the error with Scala & Kamiq. For costing, I did not add that SCS also get commission from car loan, insurance premium taken up by the buyer, which is another couple of thousands, and not to mention the high markup for servicing charge during the entire warranty period. Warranty wise, as far as I know, the cost for the first 2 - 3 years is fully covered by Skoda factory (hence $0 cost on SCS), and as what @Mkl22 has pointed out, 4 & 5th years is leverage on insurance scheme at minimal cost.

Of course there are other fixed cost such building & rental, utility & maintenance, overhead, corporate tax, etc. but I will leave that for another discussion, since the cost per car are subjected to many variable.

I have updated the cost breakdown to include the Octavia Ambition (with an estimated OMV of $22K) as well as another VFM model for comparison. I was told the promotional price for Superb when I was at the showroom this morning. At $138K (annual depreciation of $12K+), Octavia simply no fight. @Lala81 based on what you have shared, I think Superb Ambition ticked most of the boxes.

htGhppR.png

pe6Ae3k.jpg

G4vjU1y.jpg

FXJLxJK.jpg

uv2fm71.jpg

CO9TbU4.jpg

• Praise 14

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

Thanks @berry64694 for pointing out the error with Scala & Kamiq. For costing, I did not add that SCS also get commission from car loan, insurance premium taken up by the buyer, which is another couple of thousands, and not to mention the high markup for servicing charge during the entire warranty period. Warranty wise, as far as I know, the cost for the first 2 - 3 years is fully covered by Skoda factory (hence $0 cost on SCS), and as what @Mkl22 has pointed out, 4 & 5th years is leverage on insurance scheme at minimal cost.

Of course there are other fixed cost such building & rental, utility & maintenance, overhead, corporate tax, etc. but I will leave that for another discussion, since the cost per car are subjected to many variable.

I have updated the cost breakdown to include the Octavia Ambition (with an estimated OMV of $22K) as well as another VFM model for comparison. I was told the promotional price for Superb when I was at the showroom this morning. At $138K (annual depreciation of $12K+), Octavia simply no fight. @Lala81 based on what you have shared, I think Superb Ambition ticked most of the boxes.

htGhppR.png

Awesome. The Superb ambition is very closely priced.

So essentially Octavia top to bottom trim is just 11k difference in actual depreciation cost. Superb Ambition tempting for that price then.

• Praise 1

(edited)

@Carbon82 If a buyer trade in their used car, SCS probably makes a couple of thousands from there too 🙂. I think SCS clearing current stocks of Superb Ambition to bring in new stock with the 2-spoke steering.

Edited by Shouyi
  • Praise 2

23 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Awesome. The Superb ambition is very closely priced.

So essentially Octavia top to bottom trim is just 11k difference in actual depreciation cost. Superb Ambition tempting for that price then.

previous engine model with 217hp (with almost exact equipment list) was cleared off at 120k. such a shame about COE rising so much - leading to SCS margins being reduced and prices increasing by almost 20k. 

lose lose. 

• Praise 1

Ya the current Superb is really half hearted in terms of performance.

Wow, the Octy footwell is part of the ambience lighting now ah...a bit bengz haha.

• Haha! 2

12 minutes ago, Shouyi said:

@Carbon82 If a buyer trade in their used car, SCS probably makes a couple of thousands from there too 🙂. I think SCS clearing current stocks of Superb Ambition to bring in new stock with the 2-spoke steering.

ya, the 138k pricing is for the 2020 model, without the wireless android auto and apple carplay. But still a good deal if u need the space

• Praise 2

(edited)

Skoda always make very nice looking wagons. In fact, overseas, Skoda sells more wagons than liftback style. 

Actually many makes look good in wagon style, Corolla is one of them but it's not selling here. 

Octavia wagon just look more balance in design than the liftback version. But sadly the COE pricing at this period really screwed.

Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Praise 3