2020 4th Generation Skoda Octavia

Carbon82

(edited)
23 hours ago, Ceecookie said:

Superb was launched back in 2015 after all, hence basic trim still have analog instrument cluster. I'm sure The next generation model will feature new cabin theme like the Octavia 😁

PS: VC retrofit is available at elebest for keen owners. 

It's been 6 months since I owned the Superb... So far still not sick of the look though.😁 Interior wise is still pretty functional and I also prefer the physical buttons inside as well, rather than adjusting the settings solely by tapping on a tablet. Have checked with Elebest regarding the retrofit. Not cheap and also comes with voiding of warranty. 

IMG_20210621_192023.jpg

Edited by Biglittlebean
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

Twincharged

Just counted 16units of the previous gen octavia RS for sale on sgcarmart now. Wow an all time high! 

• Haha! 1

On 6/18/2021 at 12:55 PM, Carbon82 said:

Yes, it is a beauty! [thumbsup] Go with your heart. BTW no one buy a car at list price, always try to nego for a better deal, be it purchase price, trade-in value or service package... [;)]

s93oxuX.jpg

4AnH688.jpg

pqL1oWH.jpg

I2jptFG.jpg

rgYR1eK.jpg

EbvHzbb.jpg

DidVwdI.jpg

On 7/8/2020 at 8:20 PM, Soya said:

I don't mind the 19" coz the current 18" on the RS looks a little under-tyred.

I find DCC more of a novelty. My previous GTI had it n found Sport was too firm for daily use so left it in either Normal or Comfort (esp w more and more 3rd world, badly patched up roads nowadays...)

U maybe right .. no one buy at retail prices.

But no one carosell the SE also lah.. i have yet to hear anyone thrown out the glassdoor by counter offering 123k to 65k with coe... take it or leave it kind of counter offer to the SE.

• Haha! 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, Godprint said:

How is the Octavia reliability or serviceability like? Any kind inputs from the folks here...cheers

It's basically a VW when it comes to the mechanics. So serviceability should have no issue, plenty of workshop can work on your car.

As this is a very new model, reliability is anyone's guess. But I'd argue that for most people who buys a conti make, reliability is probably not the top criteria.

But one thing I'm not very comfortable with is that the gearbox is the DQ200 dry (i might be wrong) DSG that struggled with reliability issues a few years back.

Edited by Rickster

(edited)
On 6/19/2021 at 6:15 PM, Soya said:

Love it or hate it, DSG is the best part of VAG cars

I think it also plays a big part on the outright performance of VAG cars.

I noticed that for dollar to dollar, VW and Skoda tend to offer the most outright performance. I got a hunch people who goes for VW/Skoda places outright performance quite high in their list [sly]

Edited by Rickster
  • Praise 1

Personally driving a Octavia for 3 years now. 45000km mileage. My Kaki driving same model 78000km mileage. No issues with reliability. Usual wear and tear. Mine is a 1.0 3 cylinder engine. Looking forward to finishing the COE in 7 years time. No need scared but if it causes u sleepless nights if u buy,then take my advice. Go for a usual Jap make. It is proven after all. Life is more than a car. Cheers! 🙂

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Rickster said:

It's basically a VW when it comes to the mechanics. So serviceability should have no issue, plenty of workshop can work on your car.

As this is a very new model, reliability is anyone's guess. But I'd argue that for most people who buys a conti make, reliability is probably not the top criteria.

But one thing I'm not very comfortable with is that the gearbox is the DQ200 dry (i might be wrong) DSG that struggled with reliability issues a few years back.

I have not heard of GB issue for any skoda. Has anyone?

3 minutes ago, badlammy said:

I have not heard of GB issue for any skoda. Has anyone?

To be exact, we're talking about the DQ200 here, not Skoda as a whole as different gearbox is used for different models.

Or perhaps I may be wrong that this Octavia is fitted with the DQ200?

Just now, Rickster said:

To be exact, we're talking about the DQ200 here, not Skoda as a whole as different gearbox is used for different models.

Or perhaps I may be wrong that this Octavia is fitted with the DQ200?

Yup i meant DQ200 exactly too. Not heard of any issue on the 2018-20 Octys. Other makes i dunno.

(edited)
7 minutes ago, badlammy said:

Yup i meant DQ200 exactly too. Not heard of any issue on the 2018-20 Octys. Other makes i dunno.

Hope that's the case.

As i really like VW/Skoda cars because of the performance they give for each price bracket.

I almost bought a VAG car with the DQ200 a few years back, but chickened out last min and got one with a ZF8 gearbox instead 😅 

Edited by Rickster

Supersonic
1 hour ago, Rickster said:

I think it also plays a big part on the outright performance of VAG cars.

I noticed that for dollar to dollar, VW and Skoda tend to offer the most outright performance. I got a hunch people who goes for VW/Skoda places outright performance quite high in their list [sly]

The DSG is a very efficient gearbox so it makes the most outta what power the engine produces. And it always seems to preselect the right gear so it doesn't feel laggy like a conventional AT or *gulp*....an underpowered NA jap car paired w CVT....

• Haha! 1

(edited)
10 minutes ago, Soya said:

The DSG is a very efficient gearbox so it makes the most outta what power the engine produces. And it always seems to preselect the right gear so it doesn't feel laggy like a conventional AT or *gulp*....an underpowered NA jap car paired w CVT....

Agree, that's the whole idea of the DSG. I was seriously considering the Passat 1.8 a few years back. Spacious, powerful and drives much better than a Mazda 6 or Camry... but why did they have to pair it with the 7 dry and not the wet one found in the 2.0 [furious]

Edited by Rickster
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Rickster said:

I think VW parts have move past DSG issues n lately is water pump and coolant leak n thermostats issue at the 10000km mark.. but as it’s within warranty it’s just a matter of leychey.. 

• Shocked 1

Supersonic
51 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

I think VW parts have move past DSG issues n lately is water pump and coolant leak n thermostats issue at the 10000km mark.. but as it’s within warranty it’s just a matter of leychey.. 

After owning wowo in the past, leychey took on a whooooole new meaning. More like car homesick....lol 

• Haha! 1

(edited)

The thermostat housing leak for the EA888.3A engines was a batch issue. Get it changed from rev L to rev M, should last you a lifetime.

With regards to the DSG, it is efficient, and will do what it needs for the regular driver. Get it tuned, and the term "efficient" will take on a whole new level of meaning. CVT smoothness, without the rubber band is possible.

My VRS turned 100000km mileage today, in a duration of 2.5 years. Modded the hell out of it to make it reliable as it is.

Edited by adrian140180
  • Praise 1