[Official] 2020 Toyota Raize / Daihatsu Rocky / Perodua Ativa / Subaru Rex

Carbon82

4 hours ago, Heartlander said:

Ubi Megamart first floor. More than 1 PI got the physical car. Walk around.

It has been the most desired Toyota car now, really the hottest car in Japan. According to japan report, just in Feb it sells so well that Toyota stopped taking orders with delivery delayed till July. In Jan/2020 itself it sold 12,200 cars, compare to Corolla at 8480 which was champion for previous month. Can watch the many Japanese youtube videos on this car with caption set to English for auto translation.

https://bestcarweb.jp/news/131526

At about $82k for the SX variant, really getting a lot for the money. Most notably a modern design like a mini RAV4 and Toyota Safety Sensing package.

Thanks for the info. To me, I feel paying $82K for a 1 litre car is not cheap.

Similar price can get Subaru XV GT model with Eyesight, or Mazda CX-3. But these are 2 litre cars. Still thinking...and hope COE will go lower by year end. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

best selling car in jap, but no one bought and review?
Not even a review in SCM

Just saw one, looks solid  but not very big. comfy for small family though. Wonder where can test drive

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, mikk123 said:

Any one wants to give a review on this new ride? 

Personally from just specs wise I don't see why anyone would choose this over the Kia Stonic. 

here's my honest review of it - a few friends told me their requirements: they require a crossover because they have aged family members to ferry around, so the higher hip-point makes ingress and egress a lot easier. The car has to be economical to run, safety shouldn't be compromised, and have a spacious enough boot for a wheelchair OR baby stroller. I did my research, and with a sub-$90,000 budget, the Raize stood out, together with the Kia Stonic and Honda Shuttle. After bringing them to view the aforementioned cars, the Stonic was only ever-so-slightly taller than a normal hatch: the old fogeys commented it took them around the same effort to get in/out of the car as my E250. The Shuttle also didn't have a high hip-point, but it did have a very commodious boot that could fit both a wheelchair AND baby stroller. It was, however, let-down by the miserly 2 airbags and higher running costs (1.5l consumption and r/tax vs 1l). Of the 3 cars, the Stonic was the most torquey and responsive, the Shuttle had the largest boot, but the Raize was the best all-rounder.

We went to my friend's PI at Turf City, and tbh the Raize didn't impress at first: the interior was VERY PLASTICKY (no soft-touch surfaces whatsoever anywhere), the seats weren't leather-clad, and there were plastic hubcaps instead of alloys. As mentioned by a few people here, the a/c panel was also straight-out from the early 90s! I personally feel the PIs would have done well by dressing the show car up in leather and alloys (c'mon, how much do these things cost? $1,000?) to make the car much more presentable, but ah well.

However, the car made sense! With a 1l engine and Toyota's famed fuel-sipping engines, fuel consumption was definitely going to be better than the Stonic/Shuttle. Even though the base 'X' model had none of the additional electric safety nannies the 'XS' and 'G' has, it had 6 airbags, traction control, and full LED headlights and taillights. It had a high hip-point (Pioneer Generation approved), and the rear seat was remarkably spacious also, despite it being less than 4m long. Test-drove the car, and it really does feel like a 1.4l NA engine - I think the turbo used is a light pressure one because there's no turbo-lag or sudden power delivery that pushes you back into the seats. I usually don't like cars with CVTs because the response isn't as immediate or refined compared to a conventional slushbox (let alone DCTs), but my friends who tested the car said it was alright by their standards, plus the light steering, cushy damping, and NA-feeling engine made for a very easy drive. Inside, most of the 3cyl roughness was pleasantly absent, but because I am coming from an E-Class, I could still detect the faint burble of the 998cc engine. To my friends though (one is driving a Stream, the other, an HD Avante), the car was definitely quiet enough for them.

At below 1 ton, the car is certainly in the featherweight category, which contributes to its breezy acceleration and low fuel consumption figures, yet the doors closed with a reassuring thud - we tested it against the Shuttle also available at the PI showroom, and there was a puzzling lightness and hollowness in the Honda's doors, which didn't inspire confidence. I suppose most of the Raize's lithe weightage stems from how Toyota used high strength steel at key points of its body, yet side-impact beams in the door panels are still there to help in the event of a side impact.

To sum it up:

The Good

1. Price is right for a mini crossover at current COE levels. At $86,000, you'd be hard-pressed to find a similar mini crossover with this amount of interior space (the Stonic's backseat is simply too cramped) and standard features: LED headlights and 6 airbags aren't always a given at this end of the market.

2. The car is actually quite handsome, imo, it looks even better in person.

3. CVT isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Definitely quieter than Honda's EarthDreams CVT nonsense which sounds like a spinning washing machine when you floor the gas.

4. Boot is surprisingly capacious. Because it lacks a spare tyre (tyre repair kit included), there is an additional compartment that is quite usefully sized in the wheel-well where the spare tyre normally is.

5. Because the seats and headunits are locally fitted, you may customize the color of the leather to your liking... as for the HU, depends on which PI you go to and your bargaining power, you either get a 10.25" Android HU or a much-smaller 7" Pioneer set. 

The Bad

1. The air-con panel - OH MY GOD TOYOTA/DAIHATSU, WHAT WERE YOU ALL THINKING?! It's alright if the base variant doesn't have climate control, but surely it isn't too much to add an electric switch for the recirculation button instead of that horrible left-right lever?

2. The signal stalks are BMW esque - they revert to the "neutral" position after you pushed it all the way down/up to signal it consecutively. Takes some getting used to, but eh, the light switch on it also reverts to the "Auto" position?! Apparently you cannot switch the lights away from "Auto" mode. Puzzling.

3. Body roll is very evident. This is not a car for you to gun for the flashing green arrow - your passengers will feel sick.

4. Rear seats can fold down as expected, but when they fold back up they make a horrible high-pitched clunk when the latch secures. Very unbecoming.

5. The plasticky interior mentioned earlier. Surely it wouldn't cost too much to add a tiny bit of foam and fabric (will be changed to leather here anyway) to make just the front door arm rests and panels a tiny bit softer? Also, rear seat has no fold-down arm rest in the middle.

To digress and answer the previous few posts: Yeah, why would anyone buy this car when the Yaris Cross has been launched overseas and already on our horizon? But looking at that car's features, OMV is likely to be above $20,000, so the Raize will probably appeal to those needing a more affordable crossover with a lower downpayment. Also even if you had the cash but needed a new car soon (and can't wait for the YC because its launch here isn't cast in stone), I guess the Raize would be your next best option.

Just my 2c!

• Praise 9

On 11/2/2020 at 8:23 AM, mikk123 said:

very fair review....hope you enjoy the ride. 

haha not my car! I'm a freelance car broker of sorts, just helping friends and family to source for their rides coz I've got contacts in the car industry. Hoping the 2 Raizes my friends bought will serve them well for years to come.

• Praise 1

On 11/1/2020 at 11:40 PM, ZYJDLING said:

here's my honest review of it - a few friends told me their requirements: they require a crossover because they have aged family members to ferry around, so the higher hip-point makes ingress and egress a lot easier. The car has to be economical to run, safety shouldn't be compromised, and have a spacious enough boot for a wheelchair OR baby stroller. I did my research, and with a sub-$90,000 budget, the Raize stood out, together with the Kia Stonic and Honda Shuttle. After bringing them to view the aforementioned cars, the Stonic was only ever-so-slightly taller than a normal hatch: the old fogeys commented it took them around the same effort to get in/out of the car as my E250. The Shuttle also didn't have a high hip-point, but it did have a very commodious boot that could fit both a wheelchair AND baby stroller. It was, however, let-down by the miserly 2 airbags and higher running costs (1.5l consumption and r/tax vs 1l). Of the 3 cars, the Stonic was the most torquey and responsive, the Shuttle had the largest boot, but the Raize was the best all-rounder.

We went to my friend's PI at Turf City, and tbh the Raize didn't impress at first: the interior was VERY PLASTICKY (no soft-touch surfaces whatsoever anywhere), the seats weren't leather-clad, and there were plastic hubcaps instead of alloys. As mentioned by a few people here, the a/c panel was also straight-out from the early 90s! I personally feel the PIs would have done well by dressing the show car up in leather and alloys (c'mon, how much do these things cost? $1,000?) to make the car much more presentable, but ah well.

However, the car made sense! With a 1l engine and Toyota's famed fuel-sipping engines, fuel consumption was definitely going to be better than the Stonic/Shuttle. Even though the base 'X' model had none of the additional electric safety nannies the 'XS' and 'G' has, it had 6 airbags, traction control, and full LED headlights and taillights. It had a high hip-point (Pioneer Generation approved), and the rear seat was remarkably spacious also, despite it being less than 4m long. Test-drove the car, and it really does feel like a 1.4l NA engine - I think the turbo used is a light pressure one because there's no turbo-lag or sudden power delivery that pushes you back into the seats. I usually don't like cars with CVTs because the response isn't as immediate or refined compared to a conventional slushbox (let alone DCTs), but my friends who tested the car said it was alright by their standards, plus the light steering, cushy damping, and NA-feeling engine made for a very easy drive. Inside, most of the 3cyl roughness was pleasantly absent, but because I am coming from an E-Class, I could still detect the faint burble of the 998cc engine. To my friends though (one is driving a Stream, the other, an HD Avante), the car was definitely quiet enough for them.

At below 1 ton, the car is certainly in the featherweight category, which contributes to its breezy acceleration and low fuel consumption figures, yet the doors closed with a reassuring thud - we tested it against the Shuttle also available at the PI showroom, and there was a puzzling lightness and hollowness in the Honda's doors, which didn't inspire confidence. I suppose most of the Raize's lithe weightage stems from how Toyota used high strength steel at key points of its body, yet side-impact beams in the door panels are still there to help in the event of a side impact.

To sum it up:

The Good

1. Price is right for a mini crossover at current COE levels. At $86,000, you'd be hard-pressed to find a similar mini crossover with this amount of interior space (the Stonic's backseat is simply too cramped) and standard features: LED headlights and 6 airbags aren't always a given at this end of the market.

2. The car is actually quite handsome, imo, it looks even better in person.

3. CVT isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Definitely quieter than Honda's EarthDreams CVT nonsense which sounds like a spinning washing machine when you floor the gas.

4. Boot is surprisingly capacious. Because it lacks a spare tyre (tyre repair kit included), there is an additional compartment that is quite usefully sized in the wheel-well where the spare tyre normally is.

5. Because the seats and headunits are locally fitted, you may customize the color of the leather to your liking... as for the HU, depends on which PI you go to and your bargaining power, you either get a 10.25" Android HU or a much-smaller 7" Pioneer set. 

The Bad

1. The air-con panel - OH MY GOD TOYOTA/DAIHATSU, WHAT WERE YOU ALL THINKING?! It's alright if the base variant doesn't have climate control, but surely it isn't too much to add an electric switch for the recirculation button instead of that horrible left-right lever?

2. The signal stalks are BMW esque - they revert to the "neutral" position after you pushed it all the way down/up to signal it consecutively. Takes some getting used to, but eh, the light switch on it also reverts to the "Auto" position?! Apparently you cannot switch the lights away from "Auto" mode. Puzzling.

3. Body roll is very evident. This is not a car for you to gun for the flashing green arrow - your passengers will feel sick.

4. Rear seats can fold down as expected, but when they fold back up they make a horrible high-pitched clunk when the latch secures. Very unbecoming.

5. The plasticky interior mentioned earlier. Surely it wouldn't cost too much to add a tiny bit of foam and fabric (will be changed to leather here anyway) to make just the front door arm rests and panels a tiny bit softer? Also, rear seat has no fold-down arm rest in the middle.

To digress and answer the previous few posts: Yeah, why would anyone buy this car when the Yaris Cross has been launched overseas and already on our horizon? But looking at that car's features, OMV is likely to be above $20,000, so the Raize will probably appeal to those needing a more affordable crossover with a lower downpayment. Also even if you had the cash but needed a new car soon (and can't wait for the YC because its launch here isn't cast in stone), I guess the Raize would be your next best option.

Just my 2c!

Very thorough review.
I would like to addon that the driver's view actually feels very narrow and the engine vibration during idling can be felt through the steering and seats.

But this is definitely a handsome car for people who prefer crossover.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

I sat in my colleague's Raize yesterday. He went for the yellowish colour. Following is my 1st impression:

• Looks much bigger than the mini he traded in for  [laugh]
  • The 16" 65 profile tires looks huge on the car
  • Interior is quite bare (no surprise here), but space is good for a 1 litre car
  • Now his family of 5 can fit much better into this vehicle
  • Engine sound is surprisingly muted from passenger seat
  • He has changed from the previous ride which spends half the time in a workshop to one that probably has much better reliability. [thumbsup]
  • I'm happy for him  [:)]
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Depends on which series of mini you referring to. 

The F series is relatively problem free. Me OC mini almost 3 yrs and fires up with zero issue, everyday. 

So don't generalise, please. 

• Praise 1

Supercharged
2 hours ago, mikk123 said:

good. that is the exact reason why Japanese car is still popular. Mini looks great, but like a mistress, needs a lot of attention. 

In spite of this new car, he still thinks of his ex-"mistress" with fondness.  [laugh]

Edited by Didu
typo

On 3/20/2021 at 10:52 AM, Didu said:

I sat in my colleague's Raize yesterday. He went for the yellowish colour. Following is my 1st impression:

• Looks much bigger than the mini he traded in for  [laugh]
  • The 16" 65 profile tires looks huge on the car
  • Interior is quite bare (no surprise here), but space is good for a 1 litre car
  • Now his family of 5 can fit much better into this vehicle
  • Engine sound is surprisingly muted from passenger seat
  • He has changed from the previous ride which spends half the time in a workshop to one that probably has much better reliability. [thumbsup]
  • I'm happy for him  [:)]

The Mini is known for many engine issues.

• Shocked 1