SingPost revises rates, ends doorstep delivery for packages

Ysc3

Twincharged

SingPost revises rates, ends doorstep delivery for packages

SingPost customers who take advantage of low basic postal rates to send small packages domestically will soon have to pay more, as the postal service provider revises its services to cope with the e-commerce boom.

From Dec 2, only letters and printed papers weighing up to 500g will be accepted under a new basic mail category that will replace ordinary mail, SingPost said in a statement yesterday.

Postage rates for such mail will remain unchanged at between 30 cents and $1.70, depending on weight and size.

Currently, mail items between 501g and 2kg can be sent domestically as ordinary mail, costing up to $3.35 for a 2kg item.

SingPost will be replacing this option with two new categories: basic package and tracked package.

Basic packages of up to 2kg will cost between 90 cents and $3.50, while tracked packages will be priced between $3.20 and $4.80 and offer tracking of the delivery as well as notifications for the recipient.

Doorstep deliveries for packages sent through SingPost will effectively cease from Dec 2, as all items sent through these services will be delivered to recipients' letterboxes.

Currently, ordinary mail items including parcels under 2kg are delivered to recipients' letterboxes. However, the postman has to make a doorstep delivery if an item cannot fit into a letterbox because it is too large or the box is cluttered.

International postal standards allow for packages that are larger than letterboxes here to be sent through the postal system. Under the new package delivery services, parcels sent through SingPost must meet maximum dimensions that allow them to fit into letterboxes.

Items that cannot fit into a letterbox have to be collected from a post office.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Twincharged

the last part is going to affect quite a lot of people and the post offices are going to get busier !!

• Praise 2

Singpost hired some angmoh to be chief postman right?

And the innovation is for us to go line up at post office juz like the bad ol days? Wahahaaaa

• Haha! 2

How did the management runs our national postal service into such stage? Soon even normal letters might need to be collected at the post office if they allow such incompetence for operation management to continue. 

Nowadays when i buy online stuff, either home delivery via courier or i prefer to pick up from some shop Even if it's more expensive.

Problem with popstation is that hard for me to gauge whether my combined items can fit inside the popstation storage area. So marfan to estimate, rather prefer to go collect from the neighbourhood mall shop. More flexible.

• Praise 1

29 minutes ago, Soya said:

Singpost hired some angmoh to be chief postman right?

And the innovation is for us to go line up at post office juz like the bad ol days? Wahahaaaa

I would really prefer not to go post office. But sometimes can't choose as overseas seller will just mail to us via regular mail.

1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

Nowadays when i buy online stuff, either home delivery via courier or i prefer to pick up from some shop Even if it's more expensive.

Problem with popstation is that hard for me to gauge whether my combined items can fit inside the popstation storage area. So marfan to estimate, rather prefer to go collect from the neighbourhood mall shop. More flexible.

I thought popstation is up to the seller or post office to decide what storage size when the item arrive?

new arrangements does not seem to enhance customers experience instead it appears to facilitate their own efficiency and productivity with increase cost passed to customers.

To ensure their survival, government agencies will put obstacles to 3rd party delivery companies.

This is how we work and how we will kill our economy.

I must add that our government had been short sighted with resources dumped towards MNC and throwing loose change to SME. They forget SME is the backbone of any economy.

I am not sure if they had finally realized this. 

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

I thought popstation is up to the seller or post office to decide what storage size when the item arrive?

Lazada or qoo10 usually just use their own couriers. Lazada i think if the overseas item is too big, they will auto courier for u.

Taobao gives u option of
a) regular mail
b) Popstation collection
c) Shop or mobile collection point pickup

Problem with TB is they just tell u the weight and physical dimensions of the pop station and your regular mail, but as long as the volumetric or physical weight qualifies, they don't care which option u pick.
So I've had stuff rejected from popstation as it won't fit inside even though the weight requirement is ok. Then last time they will actually send it to your home. But i've had missing items before like the last time. And i trust the singpost postmen the least when it comes to parcel delivery.

I find the best is just pick up from shop. Anyway just go to mall eat dinner, then just shun bian pick up the item.

Edited by Lala81

Twincharged
16 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

I once ordered a rice cooker and they put it inside a pop station for me to collect. 

Anyway I prefer pop station as its nearby and more convenient for me. 

20 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I would really prefer not to go post office. But sometimes can't choose as overseas seller will just mail to us via regular mail.

Postman nowadays dun throw letters into rubbish bin good liao 

• Haha! 4

Twincharged
10 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Lazada or qoo10 usually just use their own couriers. Lazada i think if the overseas item is too big, they will auto courier for u.

Taobao gives u option of
a) regular mail
b) Popstation collection
c) Shop or mobile collection point pickup

Problem with TB is they just tell u the weight and physical dimensions of the pop station and your regular mail, but as long as the volumetric or physical weight qualifies, they don't care which option u pick.
So I've had stuff rejected from popstation as it won't fit inside even though the weight requirement is ok. Then last time they will actually send it to your home. But i've had missing items before like the last time. And i trust the singpost postmen the least when it comes to parcel delivery.

I find the best is just pick up from shop. Anyway just go to mall eat dinner, then just shun bian pick up the item.

I have been buying alot from lazada now over q10 due to lazada got free delivery for most of their items. 

Cheaper items will be sent via normal mail to the mail box... But bigger item like child toilet seat the postman will still have to bring up to the flat. Most of these are overseas orders. 

But for local orders will usually have a minimum delivery fee or collect from pop station or a shop. 

My last order of a thumb drive from local seller was collected from pop station also - no delivery fee. 

Before that I also collected two bottles of scallop from 7-11... But now like 7-11 not in the program already. 

Personally, I think collect from 7-11 is the best!  Available all over the island.  

• Praise 3

14 minutes ago, Soya said:

Postman nowadays dun throw letters into rubbish bin good liao 

there are very few letters nowadays, mainly bill, govt letter, shopping brochures, junks. Many already go green on paperless e-bill.

you think in 70s & 80s every day waiting for postman to come [laugh]

• Haha! 2

34 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

I once ordered a rice cooker and they put it inside a pop station for me to collect. 

Anyway I prefer pop station as its nearby and more convenient for me. 

I collected once from pop station also, quite convenient as I've one near my Blk, but then so far they only put inside once, not sure how they arrange it. 

Twincharged
28 minutes ago, Dafansu said:

I collected once from pop station also, quite convenient as I've one near my Blk, but then so far they only put inside once, not sure how they arrange it. 

For lazada is the buyer will choose delivery method.

I choose pop station as its no additional delivery charges. 

8 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

For lazada is the buyer will choose delivery method.

I choose pop station as its no additional delivery charges. 

how come all my lazada purchase is either normal post or courier, dun see any option for popstation.

↡ Advertisement