Emerging Fault Lines in Singapore

Carbon82

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

I gonna disagree.  My friend told me.  Money is transient.  One stroke of a pen its worthless.

So to be independent

He bought a plot of land in Malaysia to  grow good (rural area).  So even with whatever strokes of pen, he can run and hide there and eat and drink.  Wont starve.  While we can have all the money in the world but nothing to buy.

Btw true story.  First time I learned there are actually courses on food growing, but in Australia. 

broI you ask your friend how he pay property tax, electric ....

if you tell me he brings basket of vegetables or live chickens to pay, then I disagree with myself

just because a few do it, that does not mean it is everyone's cup of tea. 

in Singapore we don't eveni have land for the living

you think Malaysia is going to allow even a million Singapore farmers in

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Ash2017 said:

broI you ask your friend how he pay property tax, electric ....

if you tell me he brings basket of vegetables or live chickens to pay, then I disagree with myself

just because a few do it, that does not mean it is everyone's cup of tea. 

in Singapore we don't eveni have land for the living

you think Malaysia is going to allow even a million Singapore farmers in

Hee.  He did say in big disaster time no one will be there to collect taxes and such.  And in such a world, only the one who knows farming will survive.  In a post apocalyptic world, the one with a chicken is a millionaire.  Not the one with gold bars.

If no govt what about robbers?  Hee.  That's what the axe is for -think Singaporean version of doomsday prepper. 

Oh yes he is Singaporean.   How he get the land?  Hee apparently malaysia boleh. 

Ok.  I admit I trolling you a bit  hahaha :D

BUT this friend really exists and he did ask me to join him but in worst case I intend to hide out in kalimantan actually.

Edited by Philipkee

8 hours ago, Vratenza said:

Easy explanation:

99% of us peasants are earning less than 500kpa, therefore we are mediocre and of suboptimal intellect. No point explaining all the "difficult" policies to us since we are unlikely to comprehend even if they tried. 

In summmary:

"You wun understand one lah! Just vote for us and let us handle it " 

True.  If I tell you, you won't be able to understand; I want to bring you there, but unfortunately, the distance is too far。

跟你講你又不懂,帶你去又太遠

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

Hee.  He did say in big disaster time no one will be there to collect taxes and such.  And in such a world, only the one who knows farming will survive.  In a post apocalyptic world, the one with a chicken is a millionaire.  Not the one with gold bars.

If no govt what about robbers?  Hee.  That's what the axe is for -think Singaporean version of doomsday prepper. 

Oh yes he is Singaporean.   How he get the land?  Hee apparently malaysia boleh. 

Ok.  I admit I trolling you a bit  hahaha :D

BUT this friend really exists and he did ask me to join him but in worst case I intend to hide out in kalimantan actually.

I think your friend watch or read too many bad movies

before that day come, the world would have end in chaos and mayhem

true he may have the last chicken, provide he is alive to see that his chicken is still around, like you say Malaysia boleh

I am not looking down on your friend, if I agree with your friend, than I am would have to say all the scholars in our parliament are either daft or smoking weed. Your friend should be advising our government then why keep taxing and diverting into our reserve for rainy days, afterall your friend thinks keeping $ is stupid.

I am no fortune teller, but I know in my life time it is not happen.

You think we are likely to see a world depression anytime soon. Everything is manipulated. USA, Japan and etc are printing money like nobody's business. 

I strongly believed that the only time we doing see a major downturn is when the big boys such as Goldman and Morgan had position themselves in a short seller position.

• Praise 2

8 hours ago, Vratenza said:

Easy explanation:

99% of us peasants are earning less than 500kpa, therefore we are mediocre and of suboptimal intellect. No point explaining all the "difficult" policies to us since we are unlikely to comprehend even if they tried. 

In summmary:

"You wun understand one lah! Just vote for us and let us handle it " 

strangely the majority seems to agree and just vote

• Praise 1

I like to categorically state that those who don't think there are fault lines or racist existing in Singapore or anywhere in world are not living on Earth.

In Singapore, why do we have racial quota for those living in a HDB building?

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

I like to categorically state that those who don't think there are fault lines or racist existing in Singapore or anywhere in world are not living on Earth.

In Singapore, why do we have racial quota for those living in a HDB building?

Not disagreeing on your points but i think there is difference in what we consider fault lines.  Article is not 100% clear on its definition.  I will use racism to reply since you wrote about racists in the post.

Do racists exist in singapore?  Of cos.  I don't contest this.

The question is when you say racism as a fault line, are you saying

A) racism IS A PROBLEM in Singapore now?

B)  racism WILL POTENTISLLY BE A PROBLEM if current situation remains unchecked?

I am more B though if policies are not enforced and racists let off, it can turn to A eventually.

Do we live in different worlds? Yes and no.  No cos we are all singaporeans and living here (I assume) but we work in different professions/ live in different neighbourhoods etc so our life experiences might differ a lot.

10 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Not disagreeing on your points but i think there is difference in what we consider fault lines.  Article is not 100% clear on its definition.  I will use racism to reply since you wrote about racists in the post.

Do racists exist in singapore?  Of cos.  I don't contest this.

The question is when you say racism as a fault line, are you saying

A) racism IS A PROBLEM in Singapore now?

B)  racism WILL POTENTISLLY BE A PROBLEM if current situation remains unchecked?

I am more B though if policies are not enforced and racists let off, it can turn to A eventually.

Do we live in different worlds? Yes and no.  No cos we are all singaporeans and living here (I assume) but we work in different professions/ live in different neighbourhoods etc so our life experiences might differ a lot.

if racism is not a problem why is our  government constantly remind us of social harmony among races in SG.

this is complicated by immigrants

it also happens here in MCF, few or many cant wait to put downthe Chinese from China

AMDK, isnt labelling this already an issue

when a Ramesh rub feathers with a Chinese security guard, many did not see just two people in an argumentwith BUT instead they saw an Indian.

if race is not an issue now why do we need to have a race specific president

why pm said currently Singaporeans cannot accept an Indian pm

• Praise 3

27 minutes ago, Ash2017 said:

philipkee, i think you either trying to get me fired from my high remuneration job or get banned from MCF.

Just different opinion.  I think right now we dont have a problem in the sense that it's under control.  But I concede a problem under control is still a problem cos it's not gone.

Fired over this? Nah.  Just exchange of opinions ma.  Unless you are really the guy in your avatar.  And even then.....

:D

and why pm say we are not ready for an indian PM?  I know you know we all know.  Hehehe

Edited by Philipkee

19 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Just different opinion.  I think right now we dont have a problem in the sense that it's under control.  But I concede a problem under control is still a problem cos it's not gone.

Fired over this? Nah.  Just exchange of opinions ma.  Unless you are really the guy in your avatar.  And even then.....

:D

and why pm say we are not ready for an indian PM?  I know you know we all know.  Hehehe

Philipkee, you are in the medical line, if someone has stage 4 cancer and still undergoing aggressive treatment, but his condition thus far has been stable with no sign of deterioration. Would you tell your patient, 1. No Problem, 2. Under control, No Problem

• Praise 1

20 minutes ago, Ash2017 said:

Philipkee, you are in the medical line, if someone has stage 4 cancer and still undergoing aggressive treatment, but his condition thus far has been stable with no sign of deterioration. Would you tell your patient, 1. No Problem, 2. Under control, No Problem

I think no one will say someone in stage 4 cancer undergoing aggressive treatment is no problem or under control no problem, unless there is some outlier factor that I wont go into cos such factors that I can think of stray more into ethical principals and contentious topics like quality of life vs quantity of life.

A better example.

Someone at high risk for cancer and require yearly screening.  No sign of cancer so far.

I wont say you have a problem - if that is what you are asking.

I will say you need to go for regular check ups so that any anomaly will be picked up early and treatment options are better then - this is not the same as you have no problem everything is under control.  It is more of right now there is nothing but you must be vigilant because the situation can change suddenly.

So that's my point all along.

UNLESS you feel the cancer (insert problem) is a current and ongoing problem right now.  Otherwise I feel the current measures are sufficient as long as they are enforced fairly and the G is vigilant.

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 1

22 hours ago, Philipkee said:

@Carbon82

I disagree on the fault lines. l still think we are fine.

But of the flow of immigrants continue unchecked at the expense of local welfare and employment, things can change.

Most of us are not racist and we dont make racist remarks online or offline.  The problem is when some DO and they are not kept in check by the govt.

One last point.

Some will say but that is only keeping things under the surface. It's there.  You are only hiding it.

True.  But like a house.  You want it to be clean.  But it will always be dirty eventually.  And you just clean again and again and dirt will still come in from outside or hidden corners. You keep cleaning.  That's the price to pay if you want a clean house.  The alternative is a dirty house (best case when you consider cockroach infestations as plausible alternstive).

The problem is cleaning and cleaning is costly and some might just skip it. In the name of money saving or resource management.  Then you will eventually have a problem. 

Right now, no.  Not yet anyway. 

According to Cambridge Dictionary,

Fault Line: A problem that may not be obvious and could cause something to fail.

As you have mentioned, free flow of immigrants can be a problem, and in fact we have seen enough cases of social unrest overseas resulted from influx of immigrants. Unless we shut our door to foreigner totally, such fault line is inevitable. 

I always feel very proud of our racial (and religion) harmony, and amazed by the sight that people of all races can sit together around the same table to eat, drink, talk and even make fun of each other (we all know the baseline though). BUT I am seeing less of that with new immigrants, so could this "phenomenon" dilute our Singaporean identity in long run, and put our racial harmony at risk? I personally think it is high likely.

I agree that there is a price to pay to maintain one house clean, but if we have been doing that since our independent some 50 plus years ago, and all has been working well, why start cutting corner now, when the society is getting much more complicated than say just 20 years ago?

Food for thought: Why does Singapore government see internet and free flow of information on social media a threat? Is this really promoting racism, xenophobia and such as what they claimed? If there is total transparency with government policies, will it still be the same?

• Praise 7
  • Shocked 1

Supercharged
On 11/1/2019 at 7:39 PM, RH1667 said:

When they surrounded by yes men and people who just want to look good in front of their master, they will only get to hear “ good things “. 

BYOBS. Believing Your Own bulls**t 

• Haha! 1

Is someone having jitters after what happened in HK and some other protest against govt in other parts of the world?

https://www.businessinsider.sg/all-the-protests-around-the-world-right-now/?r=US&IR=T

I think so.

Reason being our system doesn't allow ppl to protest... Allow lah but must get permit from police, approved by them is another issue. The only option left is by conducting such surveys. Everything will have its pros and cons. 

It's becoming a global trend and someone is worried.

Edited by Watwheels

17 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

philipkee, i think you either trying to get me fired from my high remuneration job or get banned from MCF.

on the contrary.  You are fine @Philipkee however has been smoking too much weed since coming back from kalimantan.  He has been living under a shell to MISUNDERSTAND fault lines, being the BASIC idea here.  He was fine b4 going there, well, incoherent, but still ok

There, i protected your lifeless ass

Anyway, I see more bordering on the side of protecting one's own ethnicity of late.  It is something to relaly be concerned of

Another report recently showed that the minorities felt more marginalised when apply ing for jobs

go figure

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, RadX said:

on the contrary.  You are fine @Philipkee however has been smoking too much weed since coming back from kalimantan.  He has been living under a shell to MISUNDERSTAND fault lines, being the BASIC idea here.  He was fine b4 going there, well, incoherent, but still ok

There, i protected your lifeless ass

Anyway, I see more bordering on the side of protecting one's own ethnicity of late.  It is something to relaly be concerned of

Another report recently showed that the minorities felt more marginalised when apply ing for jobs

go figure

loves in the air .......

I am speechless

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1