Emerging Fault Lines in Singapore

Carbon82

Personally, I think it's also partly the result of massive immigration. Add that to the number of foreign work passes and almost half of Singapore are not Singaporeans.

:a-admin:It's like in a small group nothing will happen but when the group size reaches a threshold, things will happen.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

20 minutes ago, Chongster said:

north south line used to be the fault line.  taken over by downtown line these days.  emerging fault line probably the thomson-east coast line.

I know right!! Help you illustrate.... 😁smrtlinesdownCOVER.jpg

traindisruption.jpg

• Haha! 1

11 hours ago, Chongster said:

north south line used to be the fault line.  taken over by downtown line these days.  emerging fault line probably the thomson-east coast line.

11 hours ago, Vratenza said:

I know right!! Help you illustrate.... 😁smrtlinesdownCOVER.jpg

traindisruption.jpg

Basket, I knew someone is gonna to say this sometime down the road...:D:D

But the latest fault line should be:

- PMD users & PMD sellers with the authority

- PMD users with non-PMD users

animated-warning-image-0016.gif

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 3

On 11/4/2019 at 8:55 AM, Carbon82 said:

According to Cambridge Dictionary,

Fault Line: A problem that may not be obvious and could cause something to fail.

Food for thought: Why does Singapore government see internet and free flow of information on social media a threat? Is this really promoting racism, xenophobia and such as what they claimed? If there is total transparency with government policies, will it still be the same?

I stand corrected.  I keep thinking fault line in terms of geology as in there is an actual break as opposed to something that is hidden and could cause something to fail.  It didnt help when @Ash2017 example was someone with stage 4 cancer :D

I am of two minds on social media promoting racism(r) and xenophobia (x).  Many minds actually 

1) it doesnt promote r and x.  It merely gives actual r and x people a way to ventilate.  Meaning there are really r and x earlier just that they dont have an outlet to vent so its hidden. 

2)  it normalised r and x.  In the sense that I might not be r and x but seeing social media posts on it, it seems normal and I join in and gives the impression that there are more r and x which might influence people that this is normal - this is probably why the G says they want to control social media.

3)  it actually shows real problems in society which translates to job not well done by them - this MIGHT be the actual reason why they want to control it.  But they give 2) as the reason cos its palatable and politically correct to say it AND it has an element of truth also.

Screenshot_20191105-114828_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 11/2/2019 at 12:23 PM, Jamesc said:

I have a Chinese colleague who is a bit tanned because he is an outdoor kind of guy

and when we go for snacks at a Malay stall we always get him to order because he always get more

and pays less.

:grin:

Last time in univ., the Indian stall sometimes had the shortest queue. To save time, sometimes i will also go buy Indian food. The stall has 2 queues.

One time, my indian classmate and i both queued for Indian food, and we queued at separate lines.

Coincidentally we ordered the same dishes. Then when we happened to compare prices, the stall had charged me... i think $0.50 cheaper...

My classmate was very upset, and said even their own kind, also overcharged him 😂

I guess those decades ago got less fault lines :XD:

• Haha! 5

you know funny things kids dont give a damn if you are blue purple or pink

because all they want is to play together

as we get older these fault lines appear

so it must be an acquired disease

since it is an acquired and not an inherent disease, a cure is possible

if all else fails, elect Radx as Minister of state, he will just ban this and that until people start to learn to live together

even in this anonymous forum people here cannot even tolerate the smallest opinion differences

Edited by Ash2017
  • Praise 4

On 11/1/2019 at 9:57 PM, Vratenza said:

Oh reaaaaalliiiiiiiiiii? 

nasi.thumb.jpg.e4c926f74df37741a8c7363edf7325d7.jpg

😁

This is so true man.. maybe learn a few Malay words may help to get cheaper nasi!! XD 

4 hours ago, Atrecord said:

Last time in univ., the Indian stall sometimes had the shortest queue. To save time, sometimes i will also go buy Indian food. The stall has 2 queues.

One time, my indian classmate and i both queued for Indian food, and we queued at separate lines.

Coincidentally we ordered the same dishes. Then when we happened to compare prices, the stall had charged me... i think $0.50 cheaper...

My classmate was very upset, and said even their own kind, also overcharged him 😂

I guess those decades ago got less fault lines :XD:

You must be very very yandao to have gotten such treatment. Now, will you be our next MCF celebrity?:grin: 

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 3

3 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

You must be very very yandao to have gotten such treatment. Now, will you be our next MCF celebrity?:grin: 

Yandao was never.

Likely just random beneficiary of stall helpers who haven't mastered Singapore Maths.

But that time just implemented the R(A) rating in cinemas. Even the guys not yet 21. My classmates all said if wanna go watch R(A) movies, best bet would be to have me walk in front, and good chance the ushers see me, might reduce chances of asking us to show IC to check :XD:

• Haha! 1

No wonder Yishun have so many siao lang, all because of fault line...:omg::grin::grin:

Ancient fault lines found in Yishun, Jurong during digs

st_20180109_jhfault_r1_3675827-page-001.

Power company SP Group discovered two ancient fault lines while excavating a labyrinth of electricity supply tunnels 60m underground.

The fault lines - in Yishun and Jurong - pose no danger, however, as Singapore is now not in a seismically active zone.

The faults themselves were created about 200 million years ago.

They join at least nine other fissures that geologists know to run deep beneath our feet.

SP Group geologist Tin Moe Moe Naing said the discovery provides a glimpse into the ancient processes that created today's Singapore - processes that were covered by earth and rock over millions of years. "Only by deep excavation and tunnelling will we have chance to find these features hidden underground," said Ms Tin.

The firm found the fault lines between 50m and 75m underground while digging the $2.4 billion tunnels that would house 1,200km of extra-high-voltage cables, a project that began in 2012.

The Jurong faults were discovered between 2014 and 2015, while the Yishun faults were found in early 2016.

Another SP Group geologist, Mr Bryan Kyaw Thet Oo, said the team realised they hit the fault lines when the rock they were excavating became extremely crushed, with a high sand content.

The tunnels did not have to be rerouted, but work had to proceed more carefully through the area.

This is not the only new evidence of past cataclysmic events to have hit the area.

Mr Kyaw said tunnelling around One-North unearthed a layer of highly compressed volcanic ash, a type of rock known as "metatuff".

He said the rock in which this was found is about 200 million to 250 million years old.

"One of the ways it could have formed is through a huge volcanic cloud that settled here," he said.

Research fellow Wang Yu from the Earth Observatory of Singapore noted: "As these old fault lines are deep underground, they do not affect the Singaporean's everyday life.

"However, knowing these fault lines is very important for the construction industry, especially for the development of underground tunnels and caverns.

"This is because the fault zone could indicate an area where the rocks are weak, creating engineering difficulties during construction if they were not identified properly beforehand."

He added that the fault lines could even help researchers to locate groundwater.

Referring to the metatuff find, Dr Wang said volcanic eruptions in nearby countries like the Philippines and Indonesia have affected Singapore throughout its history.

"For example, during the 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines, more than 2,000km away, winds blew ash all the way to Singapore," he added.

And looking at the map above, I can't help but think of the EDMW version of Singapore Map.:XD:

tBp3lv6DAOk8gmDbx9KEh_Yicmhp3no9OQ_ApKRV

• Praise 7
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 5

Internal Moderator

I think Japan also face the same problem as us. Old people, and job shrinkages and all, but they are still strict about their immigration policy.

Not say we don't need them also. but govt have to find a way to make us happy too. I suppose. 🤗

• Praise 1

On 11/6/2019 at 4:46 PM, kobayashiGT said:

I think Japan also face the same problem as us. Old people, and job shrinkages and all, but they are still strict about their immigration policy.

Not say we don't need them also. but govt have to find a way to make us happy too. I suppose. 🤗

politically correct post

either way also correct and cannot get into trouble

Koba can I apply to be an internal mod too

• Praise 1