BANNED - E-scooters to be banned from Singapore's footpaths starting Nov 5

Ct3833

55 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Less than 30% of the deliveries guys are using e scooter. Dont make it sound so serious. 

So what are the other 70% delivery guys using? Either motorcycle, bicycles and others 

So why can't the less than 30% do what the 70% doing? 

When grab come out with statement saying expect delay or cancellation in food order, means the % of these using pmd to deliver grabfood is huge. 

So maybe more then 30%..

↡ Advertisement

6 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Ppl shld get their asses up and go buy food themselves then.

Yah, whatever happened to walking and going out? 

Saw some delivery order with just a cup of bubble milk tea...knn.

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 3

10 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Ppl shld get their asses up and go buy food themselves then.

Yes

All the hypocrites talking about sustainability and reduce reuse recycle. 

My lunch will always be eat out. 

Unless company have catering or delivery. 

Why?? bcos....

Takeaways need

Stryroform box 

Plastic bowls

Paper cups, plastic lid, straws or stirrers

Prepack sauces

Plastic fork, spoons knives, chopsticks etc... 

All those single use plastic etc. 

Worst than buying groceries with plastic bag. 

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 8

3 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

Actually damn sad, hopefully when the infrastructure is built up, e-scooters can return again. It's a really damn convenient tool which I use for my commute

This is not just about infrastructure. It is all about people behavior.

Even with proper path for E scooters or pedestrian, they are many still don't use their own path.

Look at East Coast park, proper cycling track and pedestrian path, this was there from the beginning long long time ago. But till now, pedestrian walking on cycling track, bicycle on pedestrian way. People here just refuse to use the right path build for them.

• Praise 6

36 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

When grab come out with statement saying expect delay or cancellation in food order, means the % of these using pmd to deliver grabfood is huge. 

So maybe more then 30%..

Aiya

Just a biz tactic, to cover their ass, just case of any delay.

As if ppl will die of hunger if they don't order from Grabfood.

I saw fro. My FB there is a petition to reverse the ban on E-scooter. 

Then I saw this post below. I felt truly sorry that this guy sister passed away. 

He acredited e-scooter being the tool to met up with his sister whom sadly pass away a week later. 

He share his 5km journey to work if by bus will take 30mins and only took 5mins by E-scooter. 

My maths failed me??? 

Current speed limit is 10km per hour

So 5km should take half hour or 30mins.

He took 5mins.🤔

This guy is either a troll or a bulls**ter. 

Or worst if he was telling the truth 5km in 5 mins, is 60 kmph. 😂😂

"Escooter, a mere convenience? Think again.

Here's my story, I live 5 km away from my work. If I am on the PMD, it will take me 5 mins, if I walk or take a bus about 30mins.

One evening my sister called me as she was near my work place. We met up had a good evening.

A few weeks later, she passed on, that was the last time I met my sister.

I wouldn't have met my sister if not for my escooter.

PMD not only convenient the user, it literally changes people's way of life, just like our mobile phones, our washing machine, our computer, search engine.

Dear Government, please think again for banning PMD on footpath (it's as good as banning)!"

Edited by Atonchia
  • Haha! 6

(edited)
5 hours ago, Yewheng said:

So maybe more then 30%..

Cancellations would mean to say that there is flaw in their system   ,  if a delivery guy could not meet the timeline, why allow him to accept taking order in the first place? Play threatening tactics? It is grabfood'd responsibility to fire those who have cancelled order for more than a certain number of times.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 4

6 hours ago, Jusnel said:

Less than 30% of the deliveries guys are using e scooter. Dont make it sound so serious. 

So what are the other 70% delivery guys using? Either motorcycle, bicycles and others 

So why can't the less than 30% do what the 70% doing? 

I dont know about this stats you have but the fact is this 30% are affected by this rule which is taking effect almost straightaway and breaking some ppl ricebowl because of that small percentage of idiots which are reckless and nonchalant. Yes, it sure can be replaced, is just that nowadays regulations has been implementated too fast and furious to my comfort. For the record i only have a kickscooter at home in case ppl say i am an e-scooter advocate.

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Atonchia said:

I saw fro. My FB there is a petition to reverse the ban on E-scooter. 

Then I saw this post below. I felt truly sorry that this guy sister passed away. 

He acredited e-scooter being the tool to met up with his sister whom sadly pass away a week later. 

He share his 5km journey to work if by bus will take 30mins and only took 5mins by E-scooter. 

My maths failed me??? 

Current speed limit is 10km per hour

So 5km should take half hour or 30mins.

He took 5mins.🤔

This guy is either a troll or a bulls**ter. 

Or worst if he was telling the truth 5km in 5 mins, is 60 kmph. 😂😂

"Escooter, a mere convenience? Think again.

Here's my story, I live 5 km away from my work. If I am on the PMD, it will take me 5 mins, if I walk or take a bus about 30mins.

One evening my sister called me as she was near my work place. We met up had a good evening.

A few weeks later, she passed on, that was the last time I met my sister.

I wouldn't have met my sister if not for my escooter.

PMD not only convenient the user, it literally changes people's way of life, just like our mobile phones, our washing machine, our computer, search engine.

Dear Government, please think again for banning PMD on footpath (it's as good as banning)!"

So he must be the one who modify and zoom on the road very fast.. If that's the case, ban or no ban does not affect him. As he will still break the law anyway.. Hope one day he will get caught by authorities and get charge to court. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 3

2 hours ago, Xers007 said:

I dont know about this stats you have but the fact is this 30% are affected by this rule which is taking effect almost straightaway and breaking some ppl ricebowl because of that small percentage of idiots which are reckless and nonchalant. Yes, it sure can be replaced, is just that nowadays regulations has been implementated too fast and furious to my comfort. For the record i only have a kickscooter at home in case ppl say i am an e-scooter advocate.

actually SG govt has always pride itself for swift and decisive implementation of policies what.  this is in fact one of their USP and their argument that a one party rule is not such a bad thing.  not sure what is your basis for saying that nowadays regulations are implemented too fast. it actually seems slower to me.  

Like in this case, they took quite a number of fires, deaths and serious accidents before they acted decisively. And it is a public safety issue, so swift action is definitely warranted. 

• Praise 2

9 minutes ago, Chongster said:

actually SG govt has always pride itself for swift and decisive implementation of policies what.  this is in fact one of their USP and their argument that a one party rule is not such a bad thing.  not sure what is your basis for saying that nowadays regulations are implemented too fast. it actually seems slower to me.  

Like in this case, they took quite a number of fires, deaths and serious accidents before they acted decisively. And it is a public safety issue, so swift action is definitely warranted. 

not to mention asking people to buy UL certified pmd just some time back before banning it.

honestly, if u are going to ban it, should have the foresight to not introduce the UL thing. 

• Praise 4

I have a feeling that the relevant authorities are at lost on how to due with the ongoing accident and fire associating with PMD, and thus issue the ban to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

With this ban, it shall prompt many of the PMD users (50% at least) to scrap their PMD, especially those non-UL2272 certified units, thus reducing the no. of report PMD fire in the months to come. And you know what is going to happen in the next few months right...

I am seeing the same trending with EVs if the relevant authorities adopt the same mentality that the risk will be low... ...

• Praise 6

9 hours ago, Atonchia said:

Yes

All the hypocrites talking about sustainability and reduce reuse recycle. 

My lunch will always be eat out. 

Unless company have catering or delivery. 

Why?? bcos....

Takeaways need

Stryroform box 

Plastic bowls

Paper cups, plastic lid, straws or stirrers

Prepack sauces

Plastic fork, spoons knives, chopsticks etc... 

All those single use plastic etc. 

Worst than buying groceries with plastic bag. 

Dman well said!!! 👍 

I personally find this very unbecoming, very weird, like someone got up on the wrong side of bed.

1) we allow PMD in without proper checks regarding the safety or speed years ago

2) when it takes off, we proclaim car lite and encourage public transport and deem it as last mile transport

3) food delivery takes off and people [who may be unable to get out of the house] get cheap food delivery

4) bad behavior is clamped down and illegal riding, speeding, modification and overweight PMDs are caught

5) due to fires, non UL2272 is banned, told to convert to UL2272 with incentives

6) shops were fined and clamped down for illegal modification and non UL2272 sales

7) incentive of $100 to dispose of registered non UL2272 devices, which took off pretty well

Looking at the above, if you were an average person/family or food delivery using a PMD and you started early, you first would have bought a PMD that doesn’t comply (spent a few hundred to around 2k), but due to it’s convenience you continued to ride and listen to the authorities change to a UL2272 scooter (lost the first scooter and spent a few hundred to around 1.5k) happily thinking finally action is taken to rein in PMDs that are non compliant and catches fire, also the enforcement actions taken encourages you to think that Gov is going to allow but take proper enforcement actions against bad riders, then suddenly after complying to all of the above and listening to the authorities, overnight it is banned. Not to forget that there should be a big % of delivery riders who bought the PMD as a tool and are paying on installment thinking it would help their food delivery [meaning they can barely afford it but use it to make $, so in anticipation of that took installment plans with high interest rates], the neighborhood parents [mainly mothers] who bought a PMD that can ferry their kids to and from school instead of paying the high prices of bus services or walking a distance that is a little too far to walk, yet too close for public transport.  🤪

If you were a responsible PMD retailer, you thought finally, we have rules and regulations that are set in black and white to sieve out the bad hats and backyard shops, sales were going well, some of the responsible PMD retailers are providing interest free loans to help users, and because of shipping rules regarding devices with batteries, have ordered compliant PMDs in the truckloads in anticipation of replacing those non compliant PMDs.

The news that 80% of registered PMDs are non UL2272 compliant, what is the underlying reason? If you were a non UL2272 complaint user, first you would probably want to use your current non UL2272 PMD until EOL and/or because complaint UL2272 models which are suitable is always sold out, as the shipment is still incoming. 

Are PMDs now even more dangerous than power assisted bicycles which has no speed limit and are not allowed on footpaths? Could the authorities have just allowed PMDs on the roads instead of footpaths instead? I guess it’s because the population for PMDs is high, so they are afraid if legally allowed on the roads it would cause more accidents, but to effectively ban PMDs without any recourse due to a minority of PMD users who are inconsiderate, is this the right way?

Finally, for those who are flouting the rules and illegal stuff, does this change things for them? They were underground, played cat and mouse, and would continue to do that until they finally get caught, or they find the next new toy that gives them the trill of the game.

This time around, those who own PMD and are compliant, follow advisory, are nice and polite on the roads would really be played out. Will the authorities properly compensate these people who are played out? I am not talking about those who skirt the rules, modify their scooters and ride illegally.

• Praise 1