BANNED - E-scooters to be banned from Singapore's footpaths starting Nov 5

Ct3833

46 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

haha...i wish i had the minister's pay. i am an average Joe who reports to work very morning faithfully at 730am and do what i am tasked to do. I don't take a lot MCs and make sure all things are well taken care of  under my care. It is a commitment every adult should follow if you have a family to feed. 

so are these people. majority of them no different from us. Have family to feed, also have dreams, want to give the best to their kids, and these need money. Use pmd for delivery is the solution for many of them. Can earn more than 3k/mth if they work hard, and this job also not as easy as we see. What other jobs are available for them out there offering that? 

7 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

giphy.gif

Now play victim card liao?

To be fair.. As I on the road majority of the time.. What I see is that most of these who use for delivery, did not travel too fast, and they are not on the road. All on pathway.. Unlike those young punks.. Wa piang.. They rode pmd like motobike racer.. Zoom so fast, disobey traffic light.. This is at least what I see when I on the road.. 

• Praise 1

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

giphy.gif

Now play victim card liao?

I am not trying to be apathetic but the ban is the most viable move now considering the risks brought about to the public by PMDs. Yes banning PMDs on the footpaths would impact  those food delivery folks, but what is the %? Grabfood said less than 30%, and we must not imagine all the 30% could not continue to deliver food, they can go on bicycle, life will be tougher until a better solution is found, but that does not mean the clock stops for their family's dinner table.  And I hope a good solution could be found soon. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

To be fair.. As I on the road majority of the time.. What I see is that most of these who use for delivery, did not travel too fast, and they are not on the road. All on pathway.. Unlike those young punks.. Wa piang.. They rode pmd like motobike racer.. Zoom so fast, disobey traffic light.. This is at least what I see when I on the road.. 

Nothing against anyone making an honest living

But let's do the math:

Earn more from deliveries = make more deliveries

But time is fixed

So make more deliveries within a fixed time = shorten each delivery time

Shorten each delivery time = ?(answer A or B)

A. Ride as slowly as possible 

B. Ride fast as possible

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

If u do pri sch run u will know the other grp of ppl impacted by this are poorer folk esp grandparents who send their children to school. I never see such ppl speeding but when they drive on the road (my kids pri sch access thru hdb carpark) it is actually a major hazard either them vs car or pedestrian (other school kids walking) vs them. Definitely we need a better solution for our so-called car lite society

14 minutes ago, Karoon said:

so are these people. majority of them no different from us. Have family to feed, also have dreams, want to give the best to their kids, and these need money. Use pmd for delivery is the solution for many of them. Can earn more than 3k/mth if they work hard, and this job also not as easy as we see. What other jobs are available for them out there offering that? 

Govt's fault! After 10 to 14 years of education, ending up delivering food cos it pays the most. They should then start 10 years early at primary 2 (10 x 12 x 3k = 360k) and not waste the time in schools.

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3

11 minutes ago, Karoon said:

I do sympathise with the difficulty the genuine law abiding food delivery people are in. Really.

But.... I blame the government for the predicament they are in. 

If the govt had been proactive during the nascent period of PMD being the transport of choice for emergent the gig economy, they would not have been stuck in this situation. 

If the government had been decisive about PMDs, instead of being wishy washy with the UL certification, speed control etc, they would not have been stuck with overly expensive compliant pmd investments. 

This low cost, low entry point and anyone can ride PMD into food delivery service job is like an opium addiction. The government allowed the addiction to fester and grow before suddenly sending everyone of them into cold turkey treatment. 

The multimillion "dream team" of ministers are apparently still not paid high enough to have foresight and wisdom to arrest a problem at the budding. Or are they just too obsessed with fixing the opposition in parliament instead of policy forming?

• Praise 6

16 minutes ago, yishunite said:

If u do pri sch run u will know the other grp of ppl impacted by this are poorer folk esp grandparents who send their children to school. I never see such ppl speeding but when they drive on the road (my kids pri sch access thru hdb carpark) it is actually a major hazard either them vs car or pedestrian (other school kids walking) vs them. Definitely we need a better solution for our so-called car lite society

if they have problem walking long distant, they can get a PMA license to allow them to ride. 

29 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

You said it yourself you were on the road, not the footpath, how often you see them speeding or act like their father's road on footpath?

9 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

You said it yourself you were on the road, not the footpath, how often you see them speeding or act like their father's road on footpath?

Hmm.. You have a point.. Maybe because I am travelling on the road most of the time.. So perhaps may missed out a lot more that is on the pathway.. 

Edited by Yewheng

31 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

'What other jobs are available for them out there offering that?'

Singapore has no other types of jobs left? only escooter food delivery option available? 

my friend,  read up and look around more often...

My friend, I think you are the one who have been living too comfortably to actually look around.

He’s asking which job pay more than $3K if one work hard. F&B? No way hosey. Pay is low and long hours.

• Praise 4

What im learning from this thread is how lacking in empathy better off singaporeans are abt the plight of poor and aged singaporeans

Ya just go throw another fee hundred $ on a bike when u just spent $1k on a PMD that was render useless overnight. Just get moto license for ah kong who help fetch his grandchildren to school. Just find another job so easy lidat since ur livelihood was destroyed overnight... srsly... 🙄

I am not a pmd user but really i feel for them... reason they use pmd was coz other options werent possible in the 1st place.... now accuse of being lazy or not rich enuff or what have u... yet being blamed for the stunts of teenagers who have no stake in the game

• Praise 4

8 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

Now shd be 5g liao.. 

4G la...

1G: LKY

2G: GCT

3G: LHL

4G: HSK

unless order is screwed up and they suka say whatever.

48 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Govt's fault! After 10 to 14 years of education, ending up delivering food cos it pays the most. They should then start 10 years early at primary 2 (10 x 12 x 3k = 360k) and not waste the time in schools.

I'm still curious, how much do these PMD delivery folks earn

41 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

The multimillion "dream team" of ministers are apparently still not paid high enough to have foresight and wisdom to arrest a problem at the budding. Or are they just too obsessed with fixing the opposition in parliament instead of policy forming?

Sorry hor, they are very busy. Need to go parliament pick fight with WP. 

PAP wan shui!

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Sdf4786k said:

so here lies the bigger problem. When a PMD cripple a pedestrian, can you claim from the insurance of 1 mil and above?

What was the compensation for the woman who died? 2K for the funeral expense and thats it?

I think in EU/UK it is becoming compulsory for bike riders to buy insurance, even for kids. Even if not, it's a good idea and should be followed, especially if we start to reconsider PMD for food/parcel delivery.

Important thing is to make premiums low.

• Praise 1

18 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

oh....'pay is low and long hours'.

everyone wants to have a short cut to good job good pay...so F&B job is not worthy for us. But someone has to do prepare our food, wash our dishes and cook our meal?  if you don't start from the bottom of job chain, how do you become a manager one day and with good pay? please don't assume that those with good pay and good job are people who started with high pay the moment they step out of school.  A lot of F&B bosses starts at the bottom. Sheng Siong boss was a pig farmer. 

The way to good life has no short cut. 

Working as a good delivery rider under hot sun is good job? Oh I didn’t know that. Aren’t they working hard?

Show more empathy man.

Enjoy your aircon office my friend.

You have your thinking, I respect that.

Btw, do you work in F&B?

Edited by Fcw75
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3