BANNED - E-scooters to be banned from Singapore's footpaths starting Nov 5

Ct3833

5 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

I shall not say I feel good but today i feel very safe walking on the road like never before, hardly seeing any escooter zooming past me on the footpath,  I do not have to keep looking back for escooter, I do not have to worry for the safety of my mom.

We have aging population 

So most pedestrian are kids or aged people. 

Rarely kids and aged people ride PMD

Except those aged people with mobility issues and have e wheelchair. 

It's those 15 to 50 range are majority of the PMD riders. 

And particularly its younger group that flout the rules and affect other pavement users. 

So its take a ban to make other safe as there could be too many users already. 

• Praise 4

3 hours ago, yishunite said:

So when got fatal car accident is drivers fail to self regulate, ban cars??

Expecting a group as wide and diverse as "Pmd user" to self regulate is a ridiculous expectation... dun even have an association and even if somehow 100% got existing user to comply any tom dick and harry can go buy one and then now u have an unregulated user. U been drinking too much gahmen koolaid if u believe self regulation is a realistic demand.... never mind the few weeks warning and then ban like as if the pmd userbase is all gathered in one centralize association

Drivers and all other motorist need to take theory and practical test 

Already exclude a bunch of of people that don't have the capacity to be on the road. 

• Praise 1

27 minutes ago, Beregond said:

why all si gin na like black mask 

Looks very fit

got fierce face mask Many tattoo 

who dares to tell a guy like this off?

i support the new rule

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

2 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

Drivers and all other motorist need to take theory and practical test 

Already exclude a bunch of of people that don't have the capacity to be on the road. 

Ya but its not working since theres many fatal accidents every week. So how, ban???

21 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

From shared bike and PMD incident, it looks like we are still stuck in the 80s.

Looks like LKY way, aka BAN, is the only way that works.

Sadly.

Difference is 80s minister dont earn millions 🤣

• Praise 2

9 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

We have aging population 

So most pedestrian are kids or aged people. 

Rarely kids and aged people ride PMD

Except those aged people with mobility issues and have e wheelchair. 

It's those 15 to 50 range are majority of the PMD riders. 

And particularly its younger group that flout the rules and affect other pavement users. 

So its take a ban to make other safe as there could be too many users already. 

You never see outside pri school at 7.30am... so many grandparents fetch kids on pmd nowadays

Turbocharged
57 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

You don't have to feel sad.  There are very good suggestion here.

So u are saying gov will allow such handicap to convert his existing escooter to be PMA? Or sell his escooter n buy another PMA? 

4 hours ago, Tkseah said:

These 2 months kanna caught get warning only.. so they can still afford to scoot around..

This is quite ridiculous - how can be unlimited warnings? During these 2 months should be 1first time warning for the rider, second time caught will be fined. 

1 minute ago, Volvobrick said:

This is quite ridiculous - how can be unlimited warnings? During these 2 months should be 1first time warning for the rider, second time caught will be fined. 

Doubt got money pay fine

2 hours ago, Windwaver said:

At the bottom of the post there was a comment by a Mr. Siva on getting his salary cut by 30%.

Actually all of us are not immune to restructuring or layoffs but why are PMD riders complaining?

Actually I m more focused on the qns that Mr. Brown has highlighted. 

I m not so concern over the rider salary as I felt it has never been realistic in the 1st place. I m not saying they shouldnt be paid higher but happy for them if due to min wage thingy, however the info (hopefully correct) I gotten was, the riders are also paid based on incentives.

Paying based on incentives to me is a double-edge sword & staff are often at the mercy of "chopping board". It is a tactic that I dun really like myself. The incentive formula is hard to decipher too. Sustainability of this business is a big qn too so how do they give out attractive incentives when one is not making healthy $$. Need manpower use attractive incentive, never make $$ also nevermind. 

I admit I m old skool but there must be gd $$ made then can give gd incentive. Sorry but I just cant link business like this. Sorry if I dwell too much into this but again I m more keen on the qns that Mr. Brown highlighted as it really bring dicussion to a cause-n-effect.

I agree with his reasons that we should 1st hv that infrastruce then hv pmd, bicycle etc etc. So many unnecessary mishaps took place. When I m in countries where people commute in bicycles, pmd, whatever, yes they do hv dedicated pathways with some even hv a shallow kerb separating if pathways are side by side. And users dun hesitate to remind each other to stay onto their designated paths. Here we hv a yellow line but everyone is everywhere.

I cannot stop a pedestrian fr coming jnto my path even with a kerb but I m very certain as a cyclist myself, I will hv to go over the kerb if I hv to trespass onto the pedestrian path. We hv to start somewhere at least one party has to be on the correct side only then we can be hopeful of correcting people.

Here, all in a mess & blame-game on the ground starts like in the parliament. Riders (cyclist, pmd, etc) blame pedestrians for encroaching & not using their designated & vice versa. Reason, I encroach bcos u encroach. So how will situation improve when we dun take the first step & action to clearly distinguish 2 types of paths. Drawing the line is as easy as crossing it on foot. It proves that having a line doesnt help. It is just a simple naive measure hoping for society cohesion, when repeatedly proven wrong.

I jog in east coast park & I also runners jogging on bicycle paths & it beats me why too.

Width of walking paths were already narrow b4 pmd get so common. The problem then were bicycles vs humans.

I keep asking inside my head why do we only react when mishaps happen? Near misses are already tell tale signs. Why cant we be more proactive on ground and be preventive? Is it a tall order to look into it when near misses occured?

Why only ban then listen? Why not listen then ban & firmly stick to ban decision? If say ban, then ban. Why lead rider by nose making so many changes for compliance then only come to a ban?

Edited by Unfazed
  • Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Yeshe said:

So u are saying gov will allow such handicap to convert his existing escooter to be PMA? Or sell his escooter n buy another PMA? 

These ppl was saying that the handicapped example i shown can use PMA.

Maybe in 6 months time, delivery guys will shift to PMA.

8 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltagov/en/newsroom/2019/11/1/e-scooters_tobe_prohibited_on_allfootpaths_following_safety_review.html

3             To give e-scooter users time to adjust to the ban, LTA will provide an advisory period from 5 November to 31 December 2019. From 1 January 2020, a zero-tolerance approach will be taken and those caught riding an e-scooter on footpaths will face regulatory action. Offenders are liable for fines up to $2,000 and/or face imprisonment of up to 3 months, if convicted.

Edited by Davidtch

2 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

These ppl was saying that the handicapped example i shown can use PMA.

Maybe in 6 months time, delivery guys will shift to PMA.

If they chop off one foot sure! Why not? The difference is PMA can't go at 30km or more on the footpath. Unless the rider is Stig. 

12 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

If they chop off one foot sure! Why not? The difference is PMA can't go at 30km or more on the footpath. Unless the rider is Stig. 

Did PMA specify must be handicapped?

More accurate, did active mobility act say must be handicapped?

Edited by Davidtch

57 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

Got police permit or not? 

Don’t know where this is but if this is the shanmugam MPS, this is what he said:

Engaging PMD Riders

About 30 PMD riders came to see me at my Meet-the-People Session. I met three of them in my Branch office. I then asked to meet the others as well, since they had all come. I met them in an open area outside my Branch. As it was an open area, I told them to come closer around me so that we can hear each other better.

I explained the reasons for the move on PMDs. They explained their position, their difficulties. I said we understood their position, but I would also convey their views to MOT, and to Cabinet. The riders were appreciative. It was a good, civil meeting.

I also told them that I will call for another meeting.

At the session, we noticed that someone was  standing behind the group and taking photos, not sure if he was also recording . We knew who he was - Edmund Loke. 
It later came to our attention that he had posted the photo on FB, and then took it down. 

He had  previously posted an online petition calling for a ban on PMDs. He didn’t seem to be part of the PMD group, but seems to have intended to convey an impression of the meeting which is quite inaccurate - that in some way I was ambushed by the PMD riders, and they surrounded me.

Such conduct is both sneaky and unnecessary, when we try and deal with issues in good faith. We know he is a supporter of a political party.

He’s more concerned about the guy. 🙄

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5
  • Haha! 2