BANNED - E-scooters to be banned from Singapore's footpaths starting Nov 5

Ct3833

4 hours ago, Kusje said:

You won't complain if you suddenly get lay off?

Must be very rich or already at retirement age.

Lets just say I'm quite an adaptable person.

Complain will put food on the table?

:grin:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

IMO, food delivery workers who rely on their PMDs for a livelihood, should be mandated to register their devices with LTA, via their employer and subsequently made to pay for insurance coverage. At least these genuine users are registered and in cases of mishaps, accountability is ensured. 

Maybe can model it similarly to food delivery company-owned motorcycles. 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Blueray said:

E-scooter rider jailed after crash causes 6-year-old to suffer brief hearing loss

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/e-scooter-rider-jailed-punggol-park-crash-hearing-loss-12072676

let's see how many more PMD accidents on PCNs before they get banned from PCNs as well. 

Hearing loss fully recovered?

I seriously doubt so......

15 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

Well said and very positive thinking bro👍🏽

going by some of the negativity that persists in some of these forummers, it’s a wonder they hv. Not jumped down yet👻

3 minutes ago, RadX said:

going by some of the negativity that persists in some of these forummers, it’s a wonder they hv. Not jumped down yet👻

Isn't KPKB Singaporean SOP?

It is strange phenomenon if NO KPKB

23 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

If those dfs fellows had just kept quiet and sucked it up, would they have gotten increased compensation?

25 minutes ago, thebutcher said:

IMO, food delivery workers who rely on their PMDs for a livelihood, should be mandated to register their devices with LTA, via their employer and subsequently made to pay for insurance coverage. At least these genuine users are registered and in cases of mishaps, accountability is ensured. 

Maybe can model it similarly to food delivery company-owned motorcycles. 

Please... No more trying to have difficult-to-enforce middleground rules. Ban means ban. 

Currently, as long as we see pmd on footpaths, means they are illegal. 

If you are going to allow food delivery companies special exceptions, how are they going to enforce the si gin nahs putting on their green/pink uniform riding their pmd during their off days? Of they just part time once a month for grab/panda.. Rest of month? 

Same as the loophole for PHV being a way for high loan entry to car ownership. 

Edited by Vratenza
  • Praise 3

10 minutes ago, RadX said:

Yes. A lot of negativty in those kpkbing about pmds.

how come haven't jumped down?

5 minutes ago, Kusje said:

If those dfs fellows had just kept quiet and sucked it up, would they have gotten increased compensation?

Bro, it's understandable to feel like want to complain but I prefer to use that part of my brain to rectify an issue.

Other than making a big fuss out of any issue, there are many other ways to overcome it :whisper:

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Windwaver said:

49028017397_e02cdfdf3c_b.jpg

have to respect this guy (and other delivery chaps) for the effort in improving their lot.

however, I suspect a significant portion of the earnings are from incentives. As we saw from the ride-hailing (Uber, Grab) industry, these incentives to contractors are not permanent and subject to change once the competition landscape changes. https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/grab-cuts-user-discounts-and-driver-incentives

In other countries, we have seen such contractors go on strike/protest/rally when the company reduces incentives or payment schedules. 

And this was recently in the news too https://sg.news.yahoo.com/trouble-cooking-grubhub-uber-eats-120357207.html

If F&B outlets reduce their commission paid to the delivery companies, how will the delivery companies react? Reduce payments to deliverymen or increase delivery fees from customers to cover the revenue deficit? Will customers be willing to pay higher delivery fees (or a tip) to help the delivery rider sustain a better quality lifestyle for him and his family?

Also, not sure if the person included CPF into his calculations. And medical coverage.

• Praise 3

55 minutes ago, awhtc said:

E-scooters might be banned from park connectors too if there are too many accidents.

Along Punggol and SK PCN, almost all are errants. Way above the 25 km/h limit. Can cause serious injuries or even death. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Blueray said:

E-scooter rider jailed after crash causes 6-year-old to suffer brief hearing loss

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/e-scooter-rider-jailed-punggol-park-crash-hearing-loss-12072676

let's see how many more PMD accidents on PCNs before they get banned from PCNs as well. 

yes, ironical that this happened on PCN.

Just now, JohnSHL said:

have to respect this guy (and other delivery chaps) for the effort in improving their lot.

however, I suspect a significant portion of the earnings are from incentives. As we saw from the ride-hailing (Uber, Grab) industry, these incentives to contractors are not permanent and subject to change once the competition landscape changes. https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/grab-cuts-user-discounts-and-driver-incentives

In other countries, we have seen such contractors go on strike/protest/rally when the company reduces incentives or payment schedules. 

And this was recently in the news too https://sg.news.yahoo.com/trouble-cooking-grubhub-uber-eats-120357207.html

If F&B outlets reduce their commission paid to the delivery companies, how will the delivery companies react? Reduce payments to deliverymen or increase delivery fees from customers to cover the revenue deficit? Will customers be willing to pay higher delivery fees (or a tip) to help the delivery rider sustain a better quality lifestyle for him and his family?

Also, not sure if the person included CPF into his calculations. And medical coverage.

Exactly bro.. these are all piecemeal and would allude them to thinking they have made it. I’m pretty sure none of that goes to cpf and downstream then how? Need gahmen to bail them out

the way the gig economy works is for the short term only BUT lotsa repercussions down the road. Tharman aldy mentioned much earlier yet ppl choose not to heed

• Praise 3

4 minutes ago, RadX said:

Exactly bro.. these are all piecemeal and would allude them to thinking they have made it. I’m pretty sure none of that goes to cpf and downstream then how? Need gahmen to bail them out

the way the gig economy works is for the short term only BUT lotsa repercussions down the road. Tharman aldy mentioned much earlier yet ppl choose not to heed

unfortunately a lot of people (and I include our some of our policy-makers in this group) seem to be short-sighted and lack foresight.

gig economy workers may be split into two types: the high value-added,high pay type, and the other type. Gotta be the former category if wanna do gig economy long term.

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, JohnSHL said:

unfortunately a lot of people (and I include our some of our policy-makers in this group) seem to be short-sighted and lack foresight.

gig economy workers may be split into two types: the high value-added,high pay type, and the other type. Gotta be the former category if wanna do gig economy long term.

Yes... Part time stand in doctors (a.k.a locums) should fall into the 1st type you mentioned. 

Strictly speaking, they are self employed and required to declare their income tax and contribute to CPF. 

Some does it long term but it is not for everybody. 

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, JohnSHL said:

Yes totally agree 

like locum doctors, tuition, etc... not exactly full proof but more sustainable 

2 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

Yes... Part time stand in doctors (a.k.a locums) should fall into the 1st type you mentioned. 

Strictly speaking, they are self employed and required to declare their income tax and contribute to CPF. 

Some does it long term but it is not for everybody. 

Most taht I know do it for

flexibility and family time counts as the main reason. They are fluid, disciplined and save for the future as well thru various means like cpf, investments etc.  not to say that these riders dun but I can bet, they make a minority. The majority live hand to mouth..

↡ Advertisement