BANNED - E-scooters to be banned from Singapore's footpaths starting Nov 5

Ct3833

This whole PMD incident is a typical example of poor planing right from the start. All the fanciful buzz words such as car-lite vision, enhancing city's liveability, sustainability, last mile linkage, overshadowed the risks of injuring or killing other users of common space.

The 2 biggest mistakes are:

1. Lumping PMD usage under Active Mobility (go and read up on the website and you will soon realized that AM refers to Walking and Cycling in many countries)
  2. Opening the flood gate to PMD without conducting proper risk analysis, and having suitable infrastructure to mitigate these risks (including fire safety).

And to make it worst, when accidents started to surface, have some quick patches hoping that they can do miracle:

1. UL2272 certification to mitigate fire and explosion risks
  2. Speed, weight, age, and whatever limits to mitigate traffic risks

If any of the member in the active mobility advisory panel or for the matter of fact, the relevant minister(s) / authorities responsible for approving the PMD usage, take a walk on the ground and see for themselves what have been happening in real world (not just reading official incident statistic comfortably in their office), they shall realized that our existing infrastructure and even culture are the limiting factors.

BUT, from the other ministries, they see opportunities in other aspect, such as boosting employment rate, not just the no. of people employed by food delivery companies, but the entire supply chain, such as PMD seller, vendor supporting the fabrication of accessories, and in time to come serving, repair and inspection of PMD, and maybe even disposal of EOL units...  

Now that the no. of PMD related incidents are surging by the day (2 or more fire a week, near misses and accident reported on news every few days), they know that they cannot run away from it, and so come the ban, which again is another quick fix.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 16

26 minutes ago, Mustank said:

I like to use a quote from a mini star.

If you encounter a fault, ask for an apology. If its a violation, go file a report or get a civil suit.

Its the behavior that condition us to bottle up the issue and it fester from a tiny puss into a cancerous outbreak. And that's why the saying, people get away with murder.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

This whole PMD incident is a typical example of poor planing right from the start. All the fanciful buzz words such as car-lite vision, enhancing city's liveability, sustainability, last mile linkage, overshadowed the risks of injuring or killing other users of common space.

1. Lumping PMD usage under Active Mobility (go and read up on the website and you will soon realized that AM refers to Walking and Cycling in many countries)
  2. Opening the flood gate to PMD without conducting proper risk analysis, and having suitable infrastructure to mitigate these risks (including fire safety).

And to make it worst, when accidents started to surface, have some quick patches hoping that they can do miracle:

If any of the member in the active mobility advisory panel or for the matter of fact, the relevant minister(s) / authorities responsible for approving the PMD usage, take a walk on the ground and see for themselves what have been happening in real world (not just reading official incident statistic comfortably in their office), they shall realized that our existing infrastructure and even culture are the limiting factors.

👍 Most well said bro!! 👍

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

as usual LTA's typical cock up. not to worry. More LTA cock ups to come. every strata of society will for sure be affected.

The MRT fail, Cars fail, e scooter fail, bike sharing fail, road network and new expressways also fail.

I foresee the next big bomb will be GNSS ERP.... gonna be launched in 2020 but so far no further news. Another huge cock up in the works?

I think we better not laugh too much at Boleh Land. we are becoming like them especially with LTA.

I really do hope that it will not become distance based charging.. But rather remove the erp gentry and replace it with a invisible gentry. So nothing change.. Just that now there is invisible gentry.. So once nearing the invisible gentry, the lcd screen will prompt Erp ahead in 1km, cost 50cents.. Somethibg like that...

• Praise 1

In the midst of all this noise, what are the true beneficiaries doing about it? Yes I'm looking at u Grab, FP, D'roo...

• Praise 6

1 minute ago, Soya said:

In the midst of all this noise, what are the true beneficiaries doing about it? Yes I'm looking at u Grab, FP, D'roo...

nothing la. their license to operate comes from ah gong. how to shout loud loud and bang table? they dont have the same status as Petrolchem companies, big banks etc.

• Praise 2

15 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

First off.... Having a love for studying is not a valid excuse for not thinking about the future livelihood... Unless your parents are intending to leave a GCB in your name. 

In fact, I see it as a selfish act when your family is not well to do and in fact you are depending on your siblings to support your parents in their old age. 

Having all those knowledge iand qualification is absolute waste of the time and resources if they are not put to use eg. Researcher or university lecturers. Before even embarking on those post graduate studies, he should have given a thought about what these additional qualifications will offer for his future job. 

I have seen a documentary about Taiwanese youth,  their universarty grads a dime a dozen and apparently quality and degree are mostly superfluous and a mismatch for the market needs. So most of them chose to remain in university, getting masters, PhD in subjects that has no apparent industrial applications. It is essentially just kicking that proverbial can down the road. Once they come to end of the road (no more qualifications to pursue), they had no choice but to face reality. Some phd ended up cashier at 7-11 and doing food deliveries. 

Dont need Taiwan, in India many years back, Bus driver has a degree in MAss comms, but there is no job available.

But the modi govt turn things around. As you can see, they exported their talent like sweden exported ABBA.

😉

🤓

• Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

BUT, from the other ministries, they see opportunities in other aspect, such as boosting employment rate, not just the no. of people employed by food delivery companies, but the entire supply chain, such as PMD seller, vendor supporting the fabrication of accessories, and in time to come serving, repair and inspection of PMD, and maybe even disposal of EOL units...  

Now that the no. of PMD related incidents are surging by the day (2 or more fire a week, near misses and accident reported on news every few days), they know that they cannot run away from it, and so come the ban, which again is another quick fix.

typical analysis from an engineer

may be should nominate you for election

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

6 minutes ago, Soya said:

Nothing. Have you asked how the Grab food flourish?

Those that had an encounter with them with minor incident would tell you, the person who deliver the food is operating like a business. Grab is like a franchise entity. Any problem, take it up with the rider.

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

I really do hope that it will not become distance based charging.. But rather remove the erp gentry and replace it with a invisible gentry. So nothing change.. Just that now there is invisible gentry.. So once nearing the invisible gentry, the lcd screen will prompt Erp ahead in 1km, cost 50cents.. Somethibg like that...

bro, the satellite that is use to track is not like WAZE GPS, free of charge. 

You actually need to BUY your own space rocket and services to fire it into space. 

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

nothing la. their license to operate comes from ah gong. how to shout loud loud and bang table? they dont have the same status as Petrolchem companies, big banks etc.

I'm not sure there's even a license involved. Otherwise it would be easy for ah gong to regulate by imposing liability, insurance and registration requirements on these companies should their riders flout rules 

If there is license involved and none of these hv been imposed, LTA really sleeping on the job...

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Soya said:

I'm not sure there's even a license involved. Otherwise it would be easy for ah gong to regulate by imposing liability, insurance and registration requirements on these companies should their riders flout rules 

If there is license involved and none of these hv been imposed, LTA really sleeping on the job...

The setup is akin to Grab driver. ROC boh chap.

You try to claim from a PMD Grab that hit your vehicle, you would know the outcome.

Grab will advise you to claim your own insurance.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Angry 1

Just now, Sdf4786k said:

The setup is akin to Grab driver. ROC boh chap.

If ever gahmen prata, this shld be the area that they need to target. Not to licence the individual but the companies as they are in the better position to stomach fines & penalties. If licence the individual PMD rider and kena fine $1000, sure go on FB cry farder marder say livelihood affected lah, go set up online petition lah, go comprain MP lah....Waste time. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
14 hours ago, Davidtch said:

These ppl was saying that the handicapped example i shown can use PMA.

Maybe in 6 months time, delivery guys will shift to PMA.

So the investment to change from PMD to PMA who bear? 

Not that I m against the ban, but I feel the gahmen cock up in the first place n unfortunately the whole PMD community has to clear the shit due to poor planning n black sheep PMD users. 

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Soya said:

If ever gahmen prata, this shld be the area that they need to target. Not to licence the individual but the companies as they are in the better position to stomach fines & penalties. If licence the individual PMD rider and kena fine $1000, sure go on FB cry farder marder say livelihood affected lah, go set up online petition lah, go comprain MP lah....Waste time. 

They wont bother. The most is sue sue lor. Declared bankrupt. Register under the grandfather or Grand mother name and restart another one.

U do know some of this riders are 18 years old. The last I check, you cannot ask them to vacate the HDB to make good of a civil suit.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 2

IMHO.

Sometimes one needs to do a stocktake.

For example,  take a look at the acronym PMD.  It is a  "personal mobility device" . 
Notice the word personal.

In the active mobility Act 2017,  it is indicated that :-

“personal mobility device” or “PMD” means a wheeled vehicle that —
(a)is built to transport people only (with or without carry‑on baggage); and
(b)is propelled by an electric motor attached to the vehicle or by human power or both,

In the said Act,  there is no definition for baggage.  According to one dictionary,  

Baggage -  suitcases and bags containing personal belongings packed for travelling; luggage.

In summary,  a PMD is to transport people only with baggage containing their personal belongings.

Thus,  I am bewildered just linking the use of PMD with businesses.

P.S.  I went to the Grabfood website - 
Your ride, your choice.  Deliver by bike, PMD, bicycle or on foot – the choice is yours.

Edited by Kklee
  • Praise 3

i am more worry about the mentality of our siginna  more then anything else. they know modify escooter racing on road etc etc ,  is illegal, yet they keep doing it and sharing on social media etc etc.

now the ban is out, they know also, yet they want to challenge the law. all the video of riding on grass , kerb all coming out.

they want to challenge the authority and system. i hope they wont grow to become hk siginan😐

Edited by Beregond
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3