BANNED - E-scooters to be banned from Singapore's footpaths starting Nov 5

Ct3833

4 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

BUT, from the other ministries, they see opportunities in other aspect, such as boosting employment rate, not just the no. of people employed by food delivery companies, but the entire supply chain, such as PMD seller, vendor supporting the fabrication of accessories, and in time to come serving, repair and inspection of PMD, and maybe even disposal of EOL units...  

to complicate things further, Temasek is one of the investors in Grab.

Not sure if they hv interests in the other food delivery companies.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

%E3%81%97%E3%81%8B%E3%81%91%E5%86%99%E7%

"E-scooters are are treated as motorized bikes in Japan, meaning they must have license plates and side mirrors. The scooters are treated as motorized bicycles under Japanese traffic law, based on a 2002 notice from the National Police Agency. This means they must be equipped with license plates and side mirrors and require a driver's license to operate. They also have to be driven on the road alongside cars"

Assuming we do the same, the next big question I have is do we impose COE & ERP for PMDs on the roads? Another opportunity for a world's first! 😁

• Praise 6

8 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

"E-scooters are are treated as motorized bikes in Japan, meaning they must have license plates and side mirrors. The scooters are treated as motorized bicycles under Japanese traffic law, based on a 2002 notice from the National Police Agency. This means they must be equipped with license plates and side mirrors and require a driver's license to operate. They also have to be driven on the road alongside cars"

Assuming we do the same, the next big question I have is do we impose COE & ERP for PMDs on the roads? Another opportunity for a world's first! 😁

the main thing is accountability now our cyclist and pmd have no accountability. 

no accountability with weak penalty is a receipt for trouble.

• Praise 5

7 minutes ago, Beregond said:

the main thing is accountability now our cyclist and pmd have no accountability. 

no accountability with weak penalty is a receipt for trouble.

Yes, this is the main reason for the rider's toxic attitude and behaviour. And our MOT/LTA and that useless committee call Active Mobility Advisory Panel are mostly to be blame for it. Everytime call for social grace. Even Japan with the best social grace culture also needs strong regulation with PMD as shown in the above post.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 6

18 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

My preference is they find a solid way to separate pedestrian from PMD. And it's not just cycling lane next to pedestrian that we currently have, coz that is useless. Pedestrian crossing over to cycling path and vice versa are very common. 

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Yeshe said:

So the investment to change from PMD to PMA who bear? 

Not that I m against the ban, but I feel the gahmen cock up in the first place n unfortunately the whole PMD community has to clear the shit due to poor planning n black sheep PMD users. 

That's the question PMD sellers are facing.

• Praise 1

I feel less stressed driving on the road these few days. Now no more PMDs zooming out across roads at pedestrian crossings with the green man flashing. No more PMDs zooming out across zebra crossings wanting to meet their maker. Pavements are less crowded and chaotic now. Much more pleasant to stroll on. No more load music blasting in the middle of the night and disturb my sleep. 

Please keep the ban on, at least till the authorities come up with a plan to mitigate accidents with pedestrians and public annoyance. And no, please don't put them on the roads and endanger cyclists.

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Lethalstrike said:

Nothing wrong with this approach... then can lift the weight and speed restriction oso, and finally bring in proper e-bikes 😁

Actually there is a way to solve this. 

You can ban PMD from pavements with exception to uniformed people on duty like food deliveries.  If there is any accident, the company will cover.  Meaning if a food panda rider causes an accident or is involved in an accident, food panda's insurance will be claimed.  Win win for all.  So if a grab food rider is caught speeding in the road, fine.  You cant catch him cos he hide in hdb.  You just fine grab food for every such incident.  Meaning if the grab food rider is caught speeding on the road, it's one offence.  Now he dashes under the block and speed where banned.  Its second offence.  Once food delivery companies have to pay out for accidents or offences, they will auto self regulate.

The reason why I specify exceptions for uniformed personnel on duty is cos I do not know if there will be any spill over effects to people using PMD for official duty (changi airport security using segeways) and who knows else where.  Last thing anyone wants is photos of soldiers or officers doing patrol with PMD....

Ban can remain with exception for those doing duty or their job but importance is accountability.   Mandate that grab food insure their riders, same for food panda.... and any offences by their riders the company will be held responsible (vicarious liability).  But those just riding for leisure?  The ban stays. 

This is probably more palatable and since there is someone to fine for offenses, money will roll in...

• Praise 1

On 11/6/2019 at 10:41 PM, Weez911 said:

Cigarettes kill more people than PMD. Shd ban cigarettes also.

Agree, should ban too!

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

4 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

Lets be honest, how many of us here as a pedestrian has experienced a PMD user zipping by us with a near miss 

How many of us here as a driver road user has experienced PMD users flouting the law on roads?

ban lah

I don't experience it both on the road and pedestrian path.

If Shanghai can eliminate the use of car horn with technology, why can't we use technology to regulate users behaviour?

Looks like we are still stuck in the 80s.  Only know how to ban but can't enforce it.

• Praise 2

5 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

Lets be honest, how many of us here as a pedestrian has experienced a PMD user zipping by us with a near miss 

How many of us here as a driver road user has experienced PMD users flouting the law on roads?

ban lah

I completely agree BAN the PMD

the reason being individual personal safety versus individual choices

the same can be said about smoking and its effect

we all know and confirmed, that is, proven beyond any doubt, that smoking including 2nd hand smoke can cause devastating morbidity to the individual, social consequences - families lost of bread winner etc and death.

Innocent non-smokers forced to inhale toxic second hand smoke. Some are more susceptible to cancer or lung diseases will suffer. Yet this group of individuals suffer silently, largely, because effects are not immediate like death from accident with blood all over.

Should we ban smoking all together too?

• Praise 2

8 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

If Shanghai can eliminate the use of car horn with technology, why can't we use technology to regulate users behaviour?

Looks like we are still stuck in the 80s.  Only know how to ban but can't enforce it.

on this issue I absolutely cant agree with you more

we are on a digital platform, yet the only thing the undertaker mod knows how to dish out to me is BAN, BAN, BAN and more BAN

there are so many other ways to solve the problem, like taking me out for a nice meal would have had settled everything

no luck on my part

• Praise 1

17 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

The way of doing things here is to either fine or ban to resolve the problem.