BANNED - E-scooters to be banned from Singapore's footpaths starting Nov 5

Ct3833

Turbocharged
3 hours ago, Soya said:

Basket. I pay my taxes swee swee and they so cheapo Bicentennial Bonus oso say i not entitled to get 1 cent

But they happily reward these public menaces instead. Bravo 4G

First time meh? :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

4 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

you sure

when PMD was introduced, the law makers believed the laws at that time was more than adequate. 

since then how many news laws were passed to change and add to the existing laws.

alcohol if abused cause problems

smoking even if you dont smoke like a chimney already cause problems

if we can ban innocent chewing gum, i don't understand why we cannot ban smoking

Should ban smoking, alcohol, red meat, sugar.....  All bad. 😂😂😂

I don't believe that every single one of the PMD riders for food delivery cannot afford to switch to bicycles or e-bikes. Some may, not all. What about those genuinely low income parents who use PMDs to send their kids to school? They really are the ones LLST now. 

Soon, you will see some use the $1000 to illegally mod their e-bikes and racing them down the road. Good luck to all the drivers out there. Lucky and note that e-bikes requires registration with a number plate big enough to see and a set of requirements to follow. It is not as bad as PMDs which is so hard to enforce. 

Oh ya, those positive thinking delivery riders 乖乖 sold their e-scooters on the 6 Nov and switched to bicycle/e-bikes or even motorcycle how ah? Siao liao lor. 

7mil lea. Expect more increase to come after bicentennial ang pow. Increase water, elec and gas. Increase GST. Increase vehicle taxes, fines. Increase CPF draw out age, increase minimum sum. PAP 万岁! Jit bai jin song liao.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

It is like saying just because one drive slowly and carefully, the child no need to be in child seat and belted up.... 

Even a slow 50 km/h car crash will cause an un-belted child to become a projectile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2-_fSRT18o

I was involved in a 3-tonner crash many years ago as a passenger at the back (before SAF implemented seat belts).  A crash at 50 km/h sent the entire group of us crashing into one another with painful bruises.  Fortunately, we were not carrying rifles.

Once you are in a car, there is no safe speed.  You can be a safe driver, but other drivers may not.

• Praise 3

15 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

It is like saying just because one drive slowly and carefully, the child no need to be in child seat and belted up.... 

every mode of transportation including bicycles, even user abid by their terms of used, has their own inherent risk and dangers

legally if PMD or any other mode of transport  eg bicycle is allowed to carry two persons, then we assumed it must be relatively safe as assessed by our authorities

your rational seems flawed, the corollary is like saying: all doctors pass with MBBS degree, a full fledged doctor, practice everyday but don't do CME, are they still considered safe? 

Why NOT?

Why the need for strict documented need for CME fulfillment before you get your PC renewed.

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

pmdpillionriding.png

No helmets, one light knock or go over a large pebble, both will fly...only see who fly further only and who land harder only. 

while your observation is true, there are people who gotten killed by vehicle while crossing a GREEN Man crossing or at Zebra Crossing. So we should just stay at home and not leave the home and order through GRAB Delivery.

the degree of antagonist against PMD and their use by you seems disproportionate when compared to smoking

I believe you do know the cost burden the tax-payer has to contribute to subsidize smokers and non-smokers (2nd hand smoke) who seek treatment for their smoke inhalation issues. This comes to hundred of millions or billions  a year. Unnecessary social burden for an non-essential lifestyle product.

From a medical and social standpoint, we should ban smoking altogether. Otherwise, why the worry of eating preservative found in food that are considered potentially carcinogenic. You mean smoking carcinogens are less toxic than the potential carcinogens found in food. 

I believe as you and many here are considered individuals who can make a difference in individual lives, there is a greater responsibility that rest upon your shoulder. You and the many here can choose either to take up or walk away. 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

Next they will ban bicycles and Power-Assisted Bicycles (PAB) on footpath. Most of the footpaths in the heartlands are just too narrow for safe sharing by both pedestrians and cyclists (e or no e). Was ok before the gig economy took off but with 10,000 supposedly safer and slower ebikes replacing PMD, zero incident is just a pipe dream. But I am not as clever as our civil servants, so what do i know? 

Will they then end up on the roads?  There are no perfect solution, only compromises. 

And after govt spent $7m of taxpayers money and the problem is still not resolved, more people will be baying for blood.  They should just ban the gig economy and create more $3k a month jobs for everyone.  

Need to fix the infrastructure, social grace and up enforcement.

ERRRR..  I dunno  where you got your facts from, PAB had already been banned from footpaths.

Ebikes if you are referring to Power Assisted Bicycles are not slower than PMD, also arguably it is not safer.

I do agree what needs to be fixed includes infrastructure, social grace and definitely step up enforcement, that $7m should have been spent on stepping up enforcement and confiscate the devices of those flouting the rules. With cameras everywhere, it is not an impossible endeavor.

• Praise 3

Assuming PMDs food delivery riders all change to PABs (Power Assisted Bicycles) with the 7 million grant by LTA and Grab/Deliveroo/FoodPanda, good luck to all drivers and prepare for the influx of PABs on the roads soon. Foreseeable that there will be more road accidents involving PABs, and PABs are even heavier than PMDs so the risk on PCNs & shared paths are not mitigated. 

Next move should be mandatory basic theory test and a separate license for PABs users, since they are motorized vehicles allowed on the roads by law. Since its mandatory for PABs to have registration plates, it only makes perfect sense for mandatory license. It will be easier for enforcement and punishment. Else, we are just pushing those irresponsible users from the footpaths to the roads. 

1572846467696.jpg

1572846449168.jpg

1572847034732.jpg

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 4

Basically, if we were to study the locations and plot the sites of PMD accidents, fires and explosions, i would verily see it as a HDB problem.

Hence, for us powerless simpletons, our mothers, our chewren and our nay/pu nay/Kuranger can suffer PMD accidents.

As simpletons we have the immediate foresight and responsibility to protect our own. 

Against the might of the murmekes, we simpletons have to endure for it is our lot in life.

If the strong determine it is legal for cigarette smoking  it is legal.

P/s the Saint is written by the brother of a respected Singaporean Eurasian Anglican Archbishop. Nice man. Ask me how I know, I know I know.

Good night.

Edited by Datsun366
  • Praise 2

wah. how come the elites in this thread suddenly think 7 mil is a lot of money?

Not even 2% of yog which the elites all supported but when it comes to helping the lower income, cannot because they are lazy buggers. We cannot give them fish but teach them to eat fish-o-fila while they work their 7 dollar per hour jobs at macdonalds.

Edited by Kusje
  • Haha! 1

Pap wan shui! Thank you for using my tax money to fund pmd rider change to bicycle! Confirm they will ride safely and considerately one becos they got family to feed!!! Confirm they will not use their new killer electric bicycle on footpath one becos not allowed! 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 7

4 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

So thats all they can think of? Pushing PMDs to e-bike and let them run amok on the road now?

few mths down the road (no pun intended), there will probably be more PAB incidents - a % of which will be gruesome and/or fatal - and we will then get roti telur bawang with kari ikan fresh n piping hot fm policy makers.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

6 hours ago, Aventador said:

Sad day for MCF hahaha

So many were happy with the escooter ban

Now Government taking tax money to buy all of them ebikes

And now just waiting for 10,000 ebikes to flood the roads

Spandex ang mo was a problem on the road, i wonder how these ebikes will be like on the roads

why only 10k? limited by the $7mil grant?

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/pmd-more-than-85000-e-scooters-registered-deadline-closes-lta-11679984

this article says 85k registered e-scooters as of 30th Jun. Now perhaps closer to 100k? :a-confused:

4 hours ago, JohnSHL said:

few mths down the road (no pun intended), there will probably be more PAB incidents - a % of which will be gruesome and/or fatal - and we will then get roti telur bawang with kari ikan fresh n piping hot fm policy makers.

Lol! One would be lucky to get one roti kosong and dal curry. [laugh]

• Haha! 1

I have no problem with form of vehicle on the road as long as riders follow the same traffic rules. I.e. stop and Stop line, stop at traffic light when red, signal (using hand or some form of indicator light).

What I really don't like are riders who have their own set of rules and as driver, I have to predict their way of riding so that I won't end up killing them.

All these bans are a result of riders lacking of social graciousness and common sense. 

As much as I sympathize with folks who are law abiding and careful riders, the ban is necessary. So it is a collective work. Like in the army, one person makes a mistake, the whole platoon gets punished.

And don't blame the authority. Our Gov has never been tactful about their laws. Citizens also get screwed with new policy. So suck it up and stop complaining lest they come up with more to f*** things up further. 

Until such time when the general lot has better ride safety mindset and graciousness the ban must stay.

Edited by Gizmore
  • Praise 2

10 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

So thats all they can think of? Pushing PMDs to e-bike and let them run amok on the road now?

To be exact, using our money to continue feeding bad behaviour rather than addressing the crux of the problem which led to the ban in the first place

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6