BANNED - E-scooters to be banned from Singapore's footpaths starting Nov 5

Ct3833

Now that the horde has been herded towards PAB....let's try to understand what PAB is all about:

1516003095528.thumb.jpg.cef8850f6637563e4ea13be2a58aae6a.jpg

What is this EN15194 standard? Can it reduce the lithium battery fires?

is UL2272 standard still applicable?

https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/home/buying/vehicle-types-and-registrations/PAB.html

give up PMD + $100

get new PAB  price range $1.1 - 2+k ....thank you LTA for the generosity with my Tax money.😪

https://www.lazada.sg/products/lta-approved-bike-tdm01z-yunbike-c1-20-i282486322-s450713451.html?ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIi-a3z-rb5QIVk4WPCh3FowNGEAkYCyABEgIzv_D_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!4281!3!294855153818!!!u!368660675886!&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1560061104!54661706810!!!pla-368660675886!c!368660675886!450713451!128595487!294855153818&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi-a3z-rb5QIVk4WPCh3FowNGEAkYCyABEgIzv_D_BwE

Edited by Vratenza
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

35 minutes ago, Gizmore said:

I have no problem with form of vehicle on the road as long as riders follow the same traffic rules. I.e. stop and Stop line, stop at traffic light when red, signal (using hand or some form of indicator light).

What I really don't like are riders who have their own set of rules and as driver, I have to predict their way of riding so that I won't end up killing them.

All these bans are a result of riders lacking of social graciousness and common sense. 

As much as I sympathize with folks who are law abiding and careful riders, the ban is necessary. So it is a collective work. Like in the army, one person makes a mistake, the whole platoon gets punished.

And don't blame the authority. Our Gov has never been tactful about their laws. Citizens also get screwed with new policy. So suck it up and stop complaining lest they come up with more to f*** things up further. 

Until such time when the general lot has better ride safety mindset and graciousness the ban must stay.

I agree mostly with what you said. 

But the bold and underlined portion we can agree to disagree.

If policy and laws are formulated this way, why do we need to pay them (or rather, let them pay themselves) multi millions salary?

• Praise 4

11 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

So thats all they can think of? Pushing PMDs to e-bike and let them run amok on the road now?

They really bo-pian and out of options now. Quick solution needed as it is a sensitive demographic and erection could be coming soon. But will any retailer even dare to sell PABs now given the history of this issue? Overnight the business can be made irrelevant and the stock declared illegal due to sudden regulation change (again)

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 1

Simi ban? Still see them riding on footpaths this morning

Once they get their free, taxpayer funded new e-bike, u bet that's gonna continue coz behaviour issues are conveniently swept under the carpet w this quick fix 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Just now, Soya said:

Simi ban? Still see them riding on footpaths this morning

Once they get their free, taxpayer funded new e-bike, u bet that's gonna continue coz behaviour issues are conveniently swept under the carpet w this quick fix 

today i also see. morning nia.

siginna. use a black cloth with design cover the face, trying to cross a junction. at soon lee there. i drive pass slowly and stare at him,😁

8 hours ago, Kusje said:

wah. how come the elites in this thread suddenly think 7 mil is a lot of money?

Not even 2% of yog which the elites all supported but when it comes to helping the lower income, cannot because they are lazy buggers. We cannot give them fish but teach them to eat fish-o-fila while they work their 7 dollar per hour jobs at macdonalds.

Im only lowly ses but its not that $7m is alot but that it got plucked from nowhere at a time of cuts and austerity to patch a self inflicted cockup... i support helping pmd delivery riders but this was abt the stupidest and costliest approach possible if they had just not rushed into moronic policy in the first place and stop to think how to tier it...

Eg. Weight class of pmd - so those ultra light one should be continue to be fine

Speed limiter for pmd legal on pathway?

Special license for delivery guys?

Just a few options that one can think up in a few minutes rather than BANBANBANOSHITTHROW$$$$ATPROBLEM

1 minute ago, Beregond said:

today i also see. morning nia.

siginna. use a black cloth with design cover the face, trying to cross a junction. at soon lee there. i drive pass slowly and stare at him,😁

Ya the one is saw oso wearing a black mask, dark sunglasses and black cap. Maciam those HK violent protesters 

This simply shows defiance and giving the law an unequivocal up yours

And gahmen tink it's ok to reward these creeps w new ebikes paid by us....

tenor.gif

• Praise 3

17 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

As it is, smoking is already banned in many public places and enforcement is quite strong.   

Smoking unlike drinking does not cause a person to lose his judgement and consciousness.  So its better that alcohol is banned.  So many cases of drunk people causing problems.

getting into fights, hurting their own families, accidents, etc etc...

Ban the sale of alcohol and the consumption of alcohol better.

Muayhhahahhahahahah

Haha, like that high SES cigar no market liao!

• Praise 1

17 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

you sure

when PMD was introduced, the law makers believed the laws at that time was more than adequate. 

since then how many news laws were passed to change and add to the existing laws.

alcohol if abused cause problems

smoking even if you dont smoke like a chimney already cause problems

if we can ban innocent chewing gum, i don't understand why we cannot ban smoking

The problem is when they introduced PMDs, they also abolished the bicycle rules. e.g. bicycle rules did not allow cycling on foot paths, cyclists had to alight and push the bike across crossings etc. The allow PMDs to be ridden across. That had added to the confusion and accidents! In actual fact, they are the ones who created the problems!

• Praise 3

16 hours ago, yishunite said:

Hmm throw money at cockup will it go away?? Funny thing is supposedly gahmen ministries all cutting budgets yet suddenly find $7million just lying around... must have realize the cockup rly big big this time with election coming 🤣

...but some ministry could not find some millions misplaced leh!

• Praise 1

16 hours ago, Hamburger said:

I clap for miw... Clap clap

Now I know why I need to pay so high road tax,  now I know. 

Pay and pay wan sway wan wan sway!:XD:

• Praise 2

15 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

ah kee

if pmd rider dare to modify their vehicle to travel faster than 70 km/h on roads, do you think they would be worried about being caught for wearing Grab t shirt.

what about relatives and friends buying for them.

i think in your previous life you must have been a saint

Nurse's uniform counted?:XD:

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Vratenza said:

Now that the horde has been herded towards PAB....let's try to understand what PAB is all about:

1516003095528.thumb.jpg.cef8850f6637563e4ea13be2a58aae6a.jpg

What is this EN15194 standard? Can it reduce the lithium battery fires?

is UL2272 standard still applicable?

https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/home/buying/vehicle-types-and-registrations/PAB.html

EN15194 is a European Standard applies to EPAC (Electrically Power Assisted Cycle) Bicycles for private and commercial use with exception of EPAC intended for hire from unattended station.

This European Standard is intended to cover

1. all common significant hazards, hazardous situations and events of electrically power assisted bicycles, when used as intended and under condition of misuse that are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer.
  2. electrically power assisted bicycles of a type which have a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kW, of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the EPAC reaches a speed of 25 km/h, or sooner, if the cyclist stops pedalling.

This European Standard specifies:

1. requirements and test methods for engine power management systems, electrical circuits including the charging system for the design and assembly of electrically power assisted bicycles and sub-assemblies for systems having a rated voltage up to and including 48 V d.c. or integrated battery charger with a nominal 230 V a.c. input.
  2. safety and safety related performance requirements for the design, assembly, and testing of EPAC bicycles and sub-assemblies intended for use on public roads, and lays down guidelines for instructions on the use and care of such bicycles.

In comparison with UL2272 (mainly for electrical components, batteries and charging system), EN15194 covers a much larger scope, including:

• Audible Warning Devices
  • Brakes
  • Electrical Safety
  • Endurance Testing
  • Driver-Operated Controls
  • Lighting and Signalling Devices
  • Rearward Visibility
  • Seating Position
  • Steerability, Cornering Properties & Turnability
  • Maximum Continuous Rated and/or Vehicle Speed Limitation by Design
  • Vehicle Structure Integrity
  • Anti-Tampering Measures
  • Devices to Prevent Unauthorized Use
  • Electromagnetic Compatibility
  • Masses and Dimensions
  • Passenger Handholds and Footrests
  • Stands
  • Propulsion Unit Performance
  • Electric Energy Consumption and Electric Range
  • Repair and Maintenance Information

I seriously doubt that LTA has the abilities to monitor every single aspect of this long list of requirements, especially the repair and maintenance portion. If you ask me, I would say that the transition from PMD to PAB is merely a risk transfer exercise, since the fundamental issue of inadequate infrastructure and user mentality are largely unresolved till date.

• Praise 8

4 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

EN15194 is a European Standard applies to Electrically Power Assisted Cycle (EPAC) Bicycles for private and commercial use with exception of EPAC intended for hire from unattended station.

This European Standard is intended to cover

1. all common significant hazards, hazardous situations and events of electrically power assisted bicycles, when used as intended and under condition of misuse that are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer.
  2. electrically power assisted bicycles of a type which have a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kW, of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the EPAC reaches a speed of 25 km/h, or sooner, if the cyclist stops pedalling.

This European Standard specifies:

1. requirements and test methods for engine power management systems, electrical circuits including the charging system for the design and assembly of electrically power assisted bicycles and sub-assemblies for systems having a rated voltage up to and including 48 V d.c. or integrated battery charger with a nominal 230 V a.c. input.
  2. safety and safety related performance requirements for the design, assembly, and testing of EPAC bicycles and sub-assemblies intended for use on public roads, and lays down guidelines for instructions on the use and care of such bicycles.

In comparison with UL2272 (mainly for electrical components, batteries and charging system), EN15194 covers a much larger scope, including:

• Audible Warning Devices
  • Brakes
  • Electrical Safety
  • Endurance Testing
  • Driver-Operated Controls
  • Lighting and Signalling Devices
  • Rearward Visibility
  • Seating Position
  • Steerability, Cornering Properties & Turnability
  • Maximum Continuous Rated and/or Vehicle Speed Limitation by Design
  • Vehicle Structure Integrity
  • Anti-Tampering Measures
  • Devices to Prevent Unauthorized Use
  • Electromagnetic Compatibility
  • Masses and Dimensions
  • Passenger Handholds and Footrests
  • Stands
  • Propulsion Unit Performance
  • Electric Energy Consumption and Electric Range
  • Repair and Maintenance Information

I seriously doubt that LTA has the abilities to monitor every single aspect of this long list of requirements, especially the repair and maintenance portion. If you ask me, I would say that the transition from PMD to PAB is merely a risk transfer exercise, since the fundamental issue of inadequate infrastructure and user mentality are largely unresolved till date.

Never ask any engineering questions

you going to get a very very long answer

but I like

In any case, anybody realized that in our LAW, we cannot sue the government for falsehood but the government can sue us.

Got such thing one meh

• Praise 1

13 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

So thats all they can think of? Pushing PMDs to e-bike and let them run amok on the road now?

Not cheap! $7 millions...

It's not hard to understand why 7m has been earmarked for affected PMD delivery workers.

I reckon most of our pap MP stay in landed properties. It's not so convenient for them to just "go downstair" to buy food, and they are public people so maybe they want to stay out of the limelight. They probably use such delivery services most frequently....

Edited by Weez911
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 6