BANNED - E-scooters to be banned from Singapore's footpaths starting Nov 5

Ct3833

1 hour ago, No_worries said:

They will ‘continue to fight for the un banning of PMD on footpath’. Very arrogant .

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/delivery-riders-cite-safety-concerns-if-they-were-use-bicycles-work

So IF un-banned, will the garmen fork out another 7M of our money to compensate those who traded in e-scooters for ebikes again? For them to buy a new escooter? 

↡ Advertisement

$7mil for 7000 affected food delivery person at $1K each to upgrade to power assisted bicycle, or $600 each if they opt to purchase normal bicycle? Why not use the money to enroll those affected person for some useful courses that could earn them a better pay? Skillfuture credit, career switch programs or something like that? 

Or as some have shared in Facebook and Whatapps, just need to pay $100 each to get a diploma from UCL and they can be employed by JP Morgan at $66k a month! 🤣🤣 

Edited by SGMCF328
  • Praise 4

Well, to the bearded chao angmoh on a bicycle in the middle lane for no damn reason except to block other road vehicles at lower delta road 1250hrs today,

Damn you!  Yes, Damn You.  
Singapore Roads are not for fooling around on.  

paiseh off topic

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

2 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Well, to the bearded chao angmoh on a bicycle in the middle lane for no damn reason except to block other road vehicles at lower delta road 1250hrs today,

Damn you!  Yes, Damn You.  
Singapore Roads are not for fooling around on.  

paiseh off topic

So you spotted one of the spandex ang mo i was talking about. Muah hahaha

35 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

I think it's more like on the footpaths, they can be kings. On the roads, become lowest life form and most vulnerable besides the bicycles 😁

I still think mandatory license is required to ride PABs on the roads as it's power assisted and should be considered as a motorized vehicle.

Without a license to lose and points to be deducted, how else is it possible to inculcate safer riding? Any teenager aged 16 without basic road theory can just ride on the roads and do their Grabfood. We have not even started on the part about insurance, enforcement and inspection to ensure the ebikes allowed on the roads did not violate LTA's specs. 

If they can implement PHV driving license for Grabcar, I'm sure the same can be done for food couriers serious about making it a livelihood. Else, ride a motorcycle or a bicycle. If you're disabled, make do with a PMA. 

Eh.. This one do not applies to young punks hor.. See the way they rode pmd on the road.. Not scared of life.. 

Sian, now problem shift from pedestrian path to road ..

This group of scholars can't make any good policy. Created the problem and shift around.

24 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

So IF un-banned, will the garmen fork out another 7M of our money to compensate those who traded in e-scooters for ebikes again? For them to buy a new escooter? 

I don’t have an issue if the $7m will help these people and permanently resolve the PMD problem. If you are living hands to mouth and your livelihood is suddenly affected by a change in G policy through no fault of yours and this amount helps everyone to transit to a safer option without much disruption, it is money well spent.  IIRC, G spent more on retraining people who are retrenched and or looking to change career path. 

But i doubt it will work if the rules are not enforced like for PMD. PAB will be more dangerous.  

• Praise 1

16 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Next they will ban bicycles and Power-Assisted Bicycles (PAB) on footpath. Most of the footpaths in the heartlands are just too narrow for safe sharing by both pedestrians and cyclists (e or no e). Was ok before the gig economy took off but with 10,000 supposedly safer and slower ebikes replacing PMD, zero incident is just a pipe dream. But I am not as clever as our civil servants, so what do i know? 

Will they then end up on the roads?  There are no perfect solution, only compromises. 

And after govt spent $7m of taxpayers money and the problem is still not resolved, more people will be baying for blood.  They should just ban the gig economy and create more $3k a month jobs for everyone.  

Need to fix the infrastructure, social grace and up enforcement.

What was these ppl working as before gig economy?

Bus drivers start from 2.4k/mth.  I don't know what industry can hire so many ppl with pay of 3k.

I agree with footpaths are too narrow.  It is so narrow that i run on the road sometime.

PABs are banned on footpath for a long time.  Can only use on road.

3 hours ago, Weez911 said:

It's not hard to understand why 7m has been earmarked for affected PMD delivery workers.

I reckon most of our pap MP stay in landed properties. It's not so convenient for them to just "go downstair" to buy food, and they are public people so maybe they want to stay out of the limelight. They probably use such delivery services most frequently....

No lah ... they prolly got maid or maids to cook, clean for them, no need lift a finger, okay? Why need to call delivery services??

• Haha! 1

4 hours ago, Fitvip said:

The problem is when they introduced PMDs, they also abolished the bicycle rules. e.g. bicycle rules did not allow cycling on foot paths, cyclists had to alight and push the bike across crossings etc. The allow PMDs to be ridden across. That had added to the confusion and accidents! In actual fact, they are the ones who created the problems!

Govt did not introduced PMD.  PMD was sold on the island despite its illegality (do a search on MCF on SEGWAY).  Instead of enforcing on the illegal use of PMD, it was legalised via Active Mobility

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

EN15194 is a European Standard applies to EPAC (Electrically Power Assisted Cycle) Bicycles for private and commercial use with exception of EPAC intended for hire from unattended station.

This European Standard is intended to cover

1. all common significant hazards, hazardous situations and events of electrically power assisted bicycles, when used as intended and under condition of misuse that are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer.
  2. electrically power assisted bicycles of a type which have a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kW, of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the EPAC reaches a speed of 25 km/h, or sooner, if the cyclist stops pedalling.

This European Standard specifies:

1. requirements and test methods for engine power management systems, electrical circuits including the charging system for the design and assembly of electrically power assisted bicycles and sub-assemblies for systems having a rated voltage up to and including 48 V d.c. or integrated battery charger with a nominal 230 V a.c. input.
  2. safety and safety related performance requirements for the design, assembly, and testing of EPAC bicycles and sub-assemblies intended for use on public roads, and lays down guidelines for instructions on the use and care of such bicycles.

In comparison with UL2272 (mainly for electrical components, batteries and charging system), EN15194 covers a much larger scope, including:

• Audible Warning Devices
  • Brakes
  • Electrical Safety
  • Endurance Testing
  • Driver-Operated Controls
  • Lighting and Signalling Devices
  • Rearward Visibility
  • Seating Position
  • Steerability, Cornering Properties & Turnability
  • Maximum Continuous Rated and/or Vehicle Speed Limitation by Design
  • Vehicle Structure Integrity
  • Anti-Tampering Measures
  • Devices to Prevent Unauthorized Use
  • Electromagnetic Compatibility
  • Masses and Dimensions
  • Passenger Handholds and Footrests
  • Stands
  • Propulsion Unit Performance
  • Electric Energy Consumption and Electric Range
  • Repair and Maintenance Information

I seriously doubt that LTA has the abilities to monitor every single aspect of this long list of requirements, especially the repair and maintenance portion. If you ask me, I would say that the transition from PMD to PAB is merely a risk transfer exercise, since the fundamental issue of inadequate infrastructure and user mentality are largely unresolved till date.

PAB is required to be "seal" at certain car inspection centre before it can be used on the road.

Unlike PMD, PAB has NO accelerator.  Its power assist will reduced as the cycling speed increase up to 25km/h.  From 25km/h onward, it is zero assistance.

I wonder how many can ride that fast.

3 hours ago, Soya said:

Hmmm.....did the MPs set up a $7M compensation fund for those who kena bang by uninsured chao ah beng on PMDs?

No? But setting up a $7M fund to reward those culprits is fine. Bravo 4G

I rather they take the 7m to set up intelligent enforcement system.

Once the enforcement system is set up, the ban can be removed.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Aventador said:

So you spotted one of the spandex ang mo i was talking about. Muah hahaha

No lah, this bugger was just a tshirt bermuda guy. Not one of those pro looking ones. 

19 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

Govt did not introduced PMD.  PMD was sold on the island despite its illegality (do a search on MCF on SEGWAY).  Instead of enforcing on the illegal use of PMD, it was legalised via Active Mobility

Yup correct.

many years ago, i called up LTA regarding the usage of segway on footpaths etc..

was officially told that such devices are all illegal and disallowed.  But there was basically no enforcement leading to widespread  use.

9 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

You have an high SES problem la.

The problem is not mine, not me not high SES lah

Edited by Throttle2
↡ Advertisement