BANNED - E-scooters to be banned from Singapore's footpaths starting Nov 5

Ct3833

22 hours ago, Davidtch said:

It should be better handled on day ZERO,  before it was legalized.

During the period that it was illegal (before the act) to use, enforcement should have been done.

If what I told you is true, we need to consider creditability of govt officials.

Totally agree with you. If it had not been legalised, there is no need for AMAP's existence too!

Edited by Fitvip
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

9 hours ago, Twister said:

Already many converted to ebike , but still riding on the footpath instead on the road.

Comparing to escooter, ebike are bigger in size, will take up more space along the shared path..

So.. are we solving the problem of escooter on footpath? Simple answer is NO.. we are bringing the ebike on footpath problem out again... Where is the ENFORCEMENT?? Back to square one.. regardless of escooter or ebike..

So why spending $7M, but same same but different problem.. 🤦‍♂

Since when are they solving the problems? They are just trying to move the problems from one area to another! 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

5 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Let me put it bluntly, IF our government can benefit from it (read: additional tax revenue), they WILL do it. But for now, PMD has nothing taxable, yet...

I concur. The same applies for PCN and those "dedicated" lane at parks and seasides area. Lane demarcation will not work at any crowded space.

I don't disagree with you on your view. But the authority should be looking at a total solution rather the taking a piece meal approach. Example: Silver Zone. For those who have been to estate like Bedok, Hougang, Redhill, Teck Whye, Whampoa, etc., have it ever cross your mind why are we wasting so much usable space for nothing but just to keep the lane narrower so that drivers cannot move any faster? Why convert the usable lane to grass turf, S-course, etc. instead of dedicated PMD lane?

zonas-de-plata-singapur-foto-lta-3.jpg

BukitMerahView181003e_2x.jpg?itok=BG0zyj

70705584_139414344009266_217255552611648

I think a few mentioned here before, while the aim is to go car-lite, it is the motorist that generate a steady stream of income to support infrastructure development, so it is a chicken and egg situation the way I see it.

PMD is only a good alternative if we have:

• safer devices (battery and charging technology - UL2272 is just another BBS, speed limiting and tracking devices, more active & passive safety system)
  • proper infrastructure (I am looking at nothing less than what Denmark did for the cyclist, including a highway for bicycle. In our context, a dedicated road NOT lane for PMD)
  • better policy, regulation and governance (PMD user, as with other motorists, have to have legal obligation and liability to use their device in public space. And strict enforcement is a MUST)

I think PMD will survive this episode and return when the infrastructure is ready with possibly a ERP device (lol).  The last mile idea is good, implementation is however the issue. Between 2 bulky wheels requiring some pedalling and an e-scooter with 2 small wheels powered by battery in our weather, it is not even a competition. 

When there is critical mass like in Denmark, it is entirely possible that one lane of our roads can be converted into bike and PMD lane. 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Othello said:

tell me about it !! These silver zones "works" is nothing more than an exercise to force drivers to slow down becos many old folks can't be bothered. Dun care Red man or Green man, zebra or flamingo. They just GO. In fact, yesterday I came across this old man on PMA. Champion !! ZERO regards to traffic rules, he "zooms" across any road he wants ...... 

Many European and Australian cities have many intentionally designed twisty roads.  In Asia, life is cheap.

5 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

I think PMD will survive this episode and return when the infrastructure is ready with possibly a ERP device (lol).  The last mile idea is good, implementation is however the issue. Between 2 bulky wheels requiring some pedalling and an e-scooter with 2 small wheels powered by battery in our weather, it is not even a competition. 

When there is critical mass like in Denmark, it is entirely possible that one lane of our roads can be converted into bike and PMD lane. 

It is unlikely we will achieve the same critical mass like Denmark.

For commuting, very hard to see ppl use PMA

• Praise 2

1 minute ago, Davidtch said:

It is unlikely we will achieve the same critical mass like Denmark.

For commuting, very hard to see ppl use PMA

Not sure but I suspect many who are taking feeder buses and LRT may switch to PMD if the device can be made more affordable (it will be), light weight, safe (dedicated lanes) and can be safely stored at MRT stations.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Voodooman said:

Not sure but I suspect many who are taking feeder buses and LRT may switch to PMD if the device can be made more affordable (it will be), light weight, safe (dedicated lanes) and can be safely stored at MRT stations.

Xiaomi M235 is a very light e-scooter.  I think it is about $500.

For most commuter, it can solve 1st mile/last mile connectivity.

• Praise 2

14 hours ago, Mustank said:

So how? :grin:

Must share path with motorcycles on the foot path lah, want to find trrable some more. Later all go to jail.

I am curious why motorbikes are  allowed to be parked and get ridden on the footpath in front of that building. 

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Davidtch said:

Xiaomi M235 is a very light e-scooter.  I think it is about $500.

For most commuter, it can solve 1st mile/last mile connectivity.

I thought the PMD users (not counting food delivery) here use it to solve first 10 mile and last 10 mile problem... ie home to where ever the destination is. 

• Haha! 2

My question why are those e-scooters look like a farking dinosaur and weigh so much..

My e-scooter which i use, less than 8kg, easily foldable and can take on public transport..

PFA

s-l500.jpg

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Beanoyip said:

My question why are those e-scooters look like a farking dinosaur and weigh so much..

My e-scooter which i use, less than 8kg, easily foldable and can take on public transport..

PFA

s-l500.jpg

this is the Correct kind of e scoot For simple safe commute

not the illegal huge powerful kind which entered the market and used by many ah beng kia as quick escape tool

as recent as last evening, i saw a young ah  beng riding his standup escooter on public road at high speed (> 25km/hr) around 10pm with speakers blasting.  

• Praise 1

PFA

This type it TRUE last mile transport loh.. u ask Green and Pink use this? no way man! 

• Haha! 1

17 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

not the illegal huge powerful kind which entered the market and used by many ah beng kia as quick escape tool

as recent as last evening, i saw a young ah  beng riding his standup escooter on public road at high speed (> 25km/hr) around 10pm with speakers blasting.  

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2468946793361400&id=1503604089895680

This one better. 124km/h. 

• Angry 1
  • Haha! 1

PFA

s-l500.jpg

by right should only allow this type for leisure or short distant riding, those food delivery one can last more than 60km, so that can do minimum 6 trip before charging.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

Let me guess. The young Ah Beng had his face covered with a mask.

PMD riders these days are increasingly masked up. They are going incognito. Only way to identify them is via the PMD registration number. This is IF it is registered.

Edited by Flying_genie
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

PFA

s-l500.jpg

The problem is no proper enforcement effort to sieve out those proper good guys vs the SiGiNas. 

So the only way is to ban. 

Same like Chewing Gum. I can be very civil about Chewing Gum disposal, probably 90% of the population are too.... Just need that 10% who chose to anyhow throw their Chewing Gum and no one to catch them. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1