NTUC FairPrice’s ‘no plastic bag’ initiative to be extended to 25 stores islandwide for a year

Ysc3

Twincharged

NTUC FairPrice’s ‘no plastic bag’ initiative to be extended to 25 stores islandwide for a year

NTUC FairPrice will be extending its “No Plastic Bag” initiative to 25 stores across the island, up from seven previously, after a month-long trial run received positive feedback from customers.

From Nov 11, the initiative will involve 12 FairPrice outlets — including those in Hougang One, Kallang Wave Mall, Paya Lebar Quarter and Bukit Timah Plaza — five Cheers outlets and eight FairPrice Xpress outlets.            

The supermarket chain said in a media release on Monday (Nov 4) that the initiative will last for a year, and shoppers who require bags can purchase them at 20 cents per transaction at the participating FairPrice, FairPrice Finest and FairPrice Xtra stores, or 10 cents per transaction at Cheers and FairPrice Xpress stores. 

The extension of the initiative comes after NTUC conducted a survey of 1,745 customers during their month-long trial that began on Sept 16.            

FairPrice Group chief executive Seah Kian Peng said he was encouraged by the findings, which showed that 71.1 per cent of customers supported being charged for plastic bags at supermarkets.

“We also observed that more customers started to bring-your-own-bag (BYOB) and show greater awareness for the environment,” he said.

participating_stores.jpg

Edited by Ysc3
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Angry 1

You go to a shop, you buy something. But the shop won't give you a bag to carry those stuffs you buy from them.

If plastic bag is a problem, can they give you a paper bag to carry your stuffs in ?

No ? You have to pay extra.

Do you still want to buy from that shop or go to another shop across the street ?

Twincharged
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

You go to a shop, you buy something. But the shop won't give you a bag to carry those stuffs you buy from them.

If plastic bag is a problem, can they give you a paper bag to carry your stuffs in ?

Do you still want to buy from that shop or go to another shop across the street ?

Most of the time I think many ppl also buy things impromptu... You walk in, walk around,  see something you want or need,  then just take and go pay. 

With this,  ad-hoc customers will really reduce by a lot.

Luckily my regular ntuc not doing this... Hehehe....   

Edited by Ysc3

I wonder who are those who responded 'positively'...definitely not me....if I were the one being surveyed..I would have responded a resounding NO!

Please dun whack me....I also recycle things....even plastic straws, bottle caps, used plastic pens etc all I dump into waste plastic bottles and drop them off at the plastic recycling bins located at Changi Airport.

8 minutes ago, Kyrios said:

I wonder who are those who responded 'positively'...definitely not me....if I were the one being surveyed..I would have responded a resounding NO!

Please dun whack me....I also recycle things....even plastic straws, bottle caps, used plastic pens etc all I dump into waste plastic bottles and drop them off at the plastic recycling bins located at Changi Airport.

When i was living in Beijing, i carried groceries bag in my bag.

It's a matter of adaptation.

We are lucky that we don't have to segregate our rubbish.

• Praise 2

So now I use money to buy black trash bag, what kind of stupid logic is that. I recycle them to throw rubbish and I believe many do too. 

Going SS that's for sure. 

NTUC... Pui pui

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

But there is no shop across the street. It has closed down because this bagless shop has driven them out of business.

• Haha! 1

55 minutes ago, Kyrios said:

The problem with their "trial" is that it is always going to end up with a positive result.

What's a failed trial? Customers beat up the cashier cuz no bag? Won't happen in SG. At most kpkb a little - cashiers will be upset and let their manager know but manager will not report this otherwise their trial will have poor results.

14 minutes ago, Kusje said:

The problem with their "trial" is that it is always going to end up with a positive result.

What's a failed trial? Customers beat up the cashier cuz no bag? Won't happen in SG. At most kpkb a little - cashiers will be upset and let their manager know but manager will not report this otherwise their trial will have poor results.

Reminds me how at the height of the constant mrt breakdowns back in 2017, "surveys" can still report that commuters felt there was great customer satisfaction 😆

• Haha! 2

2 minutes ago, Kyrios said:

Reminds me how at the height of the constant mrt breakdowns back in 2017, "surveys" can still report that commuters felt there was great customer satisfaction 😆

39F140E8-89AC-487F-A13C-34BB2490F8B8.jpeg

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

"FairPrice Group chief executive Seah Kian Peng said he was encouraged by the findings, which showed that 71.1 per cent of customers supported being charged for plastic bags at supermarkets."

Most interesting phenomenon...

4 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

20cen and 10cen per transaction mean I can take 10 each time! I PAY LIAO!

So only pay 20 cent and i can take as many plastic bag i want ah? Not 20 cent per plastic bag right? [:p]

For me I always use recycle bag when doing grocery shopping on sunday.

What I noticed is sometimes not the consumers BUT those aunties/uncles cashier who use tonnes of bags to pack for the customers. They separate items into too many bags despite most items are already in their individual packaging. Then sometimes they use another bag worries the bags cannot take the weight.

I think they need to start with their employee training.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3