NTUC FairPrice’s ‘no plastic bag’ initiative to be extended to 25 stores islandwide for a year

Ysc3

2 hours ago, Kb27 said:

I dunno what everyone does, but I use 100% of the plastic bags as trash bags.

If I have to pay fairprice, then I won't buy from them. I'll get my free trash bags somewhere else, until I have to pay for it.

If plastic bag is such a sin, please come up with a better alternative to handle trash.

KPKB some more.

NEA will tell you to sort your own garbage.

Every bag of garbage will cost you $1

🤭🤣

↡ Advertisement

9 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

The initiative partly depending on the public support, and if any enforcement, the government should put in place regulation on what goods should not be allowed to use plastic, for example , I see pears, apples , oranges, eggs , cakes, buns etc are being prepacked in plastic boxes or bags, government should target the  packaging materials of those dried food products first. 

Talk about packaging,  Japan is the most green society and also the best example how packaging should be done to impress haha

• Praise 1

NTUC is actually quite expensive compared to provision or budget shops.  Typically, you can save about 10-20%.  Part of the reasons for the higher prices at NTUC could be due to the rental in convenient locations.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

With the plastic bags being charged, it will be additional cost.  I'm not sure how the old uncles and aunties pack their stuffs fast.  They might jam up the queue.  Hence, overall, NTUC will not be an attractive place to shop for me.  Likely, I will switch to Giant and other provision/budget shops.

Why can’t NTUC come up with biodegradable plastic bags and charge accordingly? At least then I can say my money is truly going to safe guard the environment and not to fill the coffers of NTUC

Brilliant cost cutting measure under the disguise of going green. 

Without plastic bags to resue as trash bags, many will throw their thrash unbagged into the central rubbish chute. The entire country will smell.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

19 hours ago, awhtc said:

NTUC is actually quite expensive compared to provision or budget shops.  Typically, you can save about 10-20%.  Part of the reasons for the higher prices at NTUC could be due to the rental in convenient locations.

Prices are lower at local home grown  Sheng Siong and Ang Mo supermarkets.

• Praise 1

19 hours ago, szekt said:

Why can’t NTUC come up with biodegradable plastic bags and charge accordingly? At least then I can say my money is truly going to safe guard the environment and not to fill the coffers of NTUC

Biodegradable in SG is useless la. everything also goes burn. Anyway I don't see the fuss. I always use the plastic bag for my thrash. If no free plastic bag, I will still end up having to buy. 

• Praise 1

On 11/5/2019 at 7:51 AM, Ody_2004 said:

For me I always use recycle bag when doing grocery shopping on sunday.

What I noticed is sometimes not the consumers BUT those aunties/uncles cashier who use tonnes of bags to pack for the customers. They separate items into too many bags despite most items are already in their individual packaging. Then sometimes they use another bag worries the bags cannot take the weight.

I think they need to start with their employee training.

Sometimes bit hard also lah. I rather they not overload each plastic bag actually. Cos the bags are very easy to tear.

I use my ikea bags about 70-80% of the time. I still end up with lots of plastic bags. Especially it's hard to avoid small plastic bags if u dabao.

• Praise 1

On 11/5/2019 at 9:33 AM, Ct3833 said:

The initiative partly depending on the public support, and if any enforcement, the government should put in place regulation on what goods should not be allowed to use plastic, for example , I see pears, apples , oranges, eggs , cakes, buns etc are being prepacked in plastic boxes or bags, government should target the  packaging materials of those dried food products first. 

kinda hard. unless they are all sold in loose and u get a paper bag to collect them.
The prepackaged items are in plastic clear wrapping or plastic box so that people can see the freshness of the item.

Paper bags are also more suitable for america/UK/australia cos everyone drives to supermarket. Not here where at least half the shoppers come via public transport. Much easier to store those paper bags in the boot.

Edited by Lala81

19 hours ago, szekt said:

yes there's no point cos we burn them all.
And biodegradeable got different types as i understand... some are not good either. it means they can break down half way. But the smaller fragments cannot break down further.

On 11/5/2019 at 12:43 PM, Kb27 said:

I dunno what everyone does, but I use 100% of the plastic bags as trash bags.

If I have to pay fairprice, then I won't buy from them. I'll get my free trash bags somewhere else, until I have to pay for it.

If plastic bag is such a sin, please come up with a better alternative to handle trash.

I think plastic bags make sense in our local situation cos of our wet food waste. 

But really I've been using an ikea grocery shopping bag for 70% of the time for 1 year +  and I've approximately only reduced my stash of plastic bags by about ... <20% lol.

I still have few hundred plastic bags in my home lol [:p]

Twincharged
14 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Sometimes bit hard also lah. I rather they not overload each plastic bag actually. Cos the bags are very easy to tear.

I use my ikea bags about 70-80% of the time. I still end up with lots of plastic bags. Especially it's hard to avoid small plastic bags if u dabao.

I noticed that the plastic bags I get from valudollar and ABC usually have small holes at the bottom.

Looking at the feedback from others, I'm probably gonna get flamed. But i support this move because of a couple of reason.

1 - I've more plastic bags than i can use. Every 2 years, i will throw bags away as some begin to harden and disintegrate. 

2 - My household waste are mainly food waste. we will wash most of the packaging and put them in the recycle bin. So bags that goes into the chute is not alot. 

My wife bought those super thin shopping bags. They fold up with a thickness no more than a pack of tissue paper. So i normally put one in my back pocket for ad-hoc purchase. For grocery trips, i just bring along my trusty ikea reusable bag. 

• Praise 2

14 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

I noticed that the plastic bags I get from valudollar and ABC usually have small holes at the bottom.

NTUC  bags tear quite easily. In contrast the white/red plastic bags u get at the wet market are more tear resistant.

14 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Looking at the feedback from others, I'm probably gonna get flamed. But i support this move because of a couple of reason.

1 - I've more plastic bags than i can use. Every 2 years, i will throw bags away as some begin to harden and disintegrate. 

I don't have enough plastic bags even tho I happily take from NTUC. Becos 4 x dogs = 4 x dogs poop / 4 x dogs pee pads usage / 4 x dogs worth of cleaning up wet mops. 

15 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

2 - My household waste are mainly food waste. we will wash most of the packaging and put them in the recycle bin. So bags that goes into the chute is not alot. 

My wife bought those super thin shopping bags. They fold up with a thickness no more than a pack of tissue paper. So i normally put one in my back pocket for ad-hoc purchase. For grocery trips, i just bring along my trusty ikea reusable bag. 

Where you got your super thin shopping bags le?

23 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Better don't buy condom frm them

↡ Advertisement