NTUC FairPrice’s ‘no plastic bag’ initiative to be extended to 25 stores islandwide for a year

Ysc3

9 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

NTUC  bags tear quite easily. In contrast the white/red plastic bags u get at the wet market are more tear resistant.

That is why the cashier pack all items into so many plastic bag. Lol.

↡ Advertisement

9 hours ago, Lala81 said:

I still have few hundred plastic bags in my home lol [:p]

Bro, i dun mind to meet up to take over these few hundred bags from you...kopi on me..

• Praise 1

For those who stayed in landed property,  how do they throw their thrash? Surely need to bag them first right? No plastic bag, will have to buy lor. Cannot empty into bin then the refuse truck will line the road like Christmas decorations next morning. Haha

So far, Australia have ban the bags for almost 1yr + now, just earlier this month, the govt also ban all small retailers from using single use plastic bags.

Just a matter of getting used to it, nowadays, there's always a recycle bag in the car, or bring a haversack along

• Praise 2

17 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Looking at the feedback from others, I'm probably gonna get flamed. But i support this move because of a couple of reason.

1 - I've more plastic bags than i can use. Every 2 years, i will throw bags away as some begin to harden and disintegrate. 

Same to you bro...can pass to me your excess bags? I buy you kopi...

Edited by Kyrios

1 hour ago, Beanoyip said:

So far, Australia have ban the bags for almost 1yr + now, just earlier this month, the govt also ban all small retailers from using single use plastic bags.

Just a matter of getting used to it, nowadays, there's always a recycle bag in the car, or bring a haversack along

We also need to change our lifestyle including our diet. While we could drain off as much liquid waste as possible, most of our food waste are wet waste. Incidentally,  in Australia,  when I throw away fruit peels, I also use plastic bags. So simply throw all types of waste into the bin doesn't work.

2 hours ago, Kyrios said:

Same to you bro...can pass to me your excess bags? I buy you kopi...

Sure. I'm more than happy to give than throwing away. But i need some time to sort out. i will do a house cleaning in Dec and i can gather those for you. But probably in Dec.Now too lazy. 😄

19 hours ago, 13177 said:

Where you got your super thin shopping bags le?

Eh not sure. My wife bought it. we bring along for our travels too. I anyhow go Qoo10 and find. Something like that:

https://www.qoo10.sg/item/YOUTING-READY-STOCK-FOLDABLE-SHOPPING-BAG-RECYCLE-ECO-TRAVEL-TOTE-BAG/663474282?banner_no=1305330

Not advertising for the seller though.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Sure. I'm more than happy to give than throwing away. But i need some time to sort out. i will do a house cleaning in Dec and i can gather those for you. But probably in Dec.Now too lazy. 😄

Thanks chum. Appreciate it. One man's waste is another's treasure.

Edited by Kyrios

They don't give you plastic bags.  Now, when you buy canned food, drinks and groceries, they would probably point you to buy a cloth tote bag at $2 each to carry the stuffs home.

I will not be surprised if they put up the cloth tote bags near the checkout counters for sale.

On 11/6/2019 at 2:52 PM, Lala81 said:

kinda hard. unless they are all sold in loose and u get a paper bag to collect them.
The prepackaged items are in plastic clear wrapping or plastic box so that people can see the freshness of the item.

Paper bags are also more suitable for america/UK/australia cos everyone drives to supermarket. Not here where at least half the shoppers come via public transport. Much easier to store those paper bags in the boot.

Ok. This makes more sense than the theory that Singapore has refineries and therefore we use more plastic bags as they are dirt cheap.

Plastic bags are really light and compact and can be shipped in huge quantity to anywhere in the world and would still cost less than paper bags.

NTUC should perhaps switch to biodegradable plastic bags if they are really keen to save the environment. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/forum/letters-in-print/cant-fairprice-switch-to-biodegradable-plastic-bags

9 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Ok. This makes more sense than the theory that Singapore has refineries and therefore we use more plastic bags as they are dirt cheap.

Plastic bags are really light and compact and can be shipped in huge quantity to anywhere in the world and would still cost less than paper bags.

NTUC should perhaps switch to biodegradable plastic bags if they are really keen to save the environment. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/forum/letters-in-print/cant-fairprice-switch-to-biodegradable-plastic-bags

https://phys.org/news/2017-12-truth-bioplastics.html

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, Albeniz said:

They don't give you plastic bags.  Now, when you buy canned food, drinks and groceries, they would probably point you to buy a cloth tote bag at $2 each to carry the stuffs home.

I will not be surprised if they put up the cloth tote bags near the checkout counters for sale.

You see ikea all the while dont give out plastic bag and yet many people still go ikea to buy things le. So i do not understand why supermarket cannot practice not giving plastic bags? Lol. 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

You see ikea all the while dont give out plastic bag and yet many people still go ikea to buy things le. So i do not understand why supermarket cannot practice not giving plastic bags? Lol. 

Sure but it will silently transfer cost of clean rubbish disposal back to consumer who have to buy bin bags... (supermarkets will save money but they sure wont transfer the saving to us) i personally dun mind but will all my neighbors do it on the day all their plastic bag run out? 

Personally when I first move into my flat i think some ppl either kuku or got new maid or something and they throw raw food into the common chute. Stunk like shit for weeks and i pity the house living right next to the chute. From nice clean brand new chute to one i hold my nose and quickly run away from in days. I not looking forward to the day bags get banned cos i am sure this will happen within weeks as everyone plastic bag run out and they only left the reusable kind that no one want to throw waste in

Edited by yishunite
  • Praise 1

4 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Sure but it will silently transfer cost of clean rubbish disposal back to consumer who have to buy bin bags... (supermarkets will save money but they sure wont transfer the saving to us) i personally dun mind but will all my neighbors do it on the day all their plastic bag run out? 

Personally when I first move into my flat i think some ppl either kuku or got new maid or something and they throw raw food into the common chute. Stunk like shit for weeks and i pity the house living right next to the chute. From nice clean brand new chute to one i hold my nose and quickly run away from in days. I not looking forward to the day bags get banned cos i am sure this will happen within weeks as everyone plastic bag run out and they only left the reusable kind that no one want to throw waste in

True also but i dont know what is the practice in other countries when they practice not giving plastic bag to customers at supermarket etc, how would these people throw their rubbish or did they buy their own bin bags?

Looks like in sg people already get too used of getting free plastic bags from shops, and they no need to spend money to buy bin bags to throw their rubbish. So now when shops want to practice not giving free plastic bag, and many people would not able to accept it? Lol.

4 minutes ago, 13177 said:

True also but i dont know what is the practice in other countries when they practice not giving plastic bag to customers at supermarket etc, how would these people throw their rubbish or did they buy their own bin bags?

Yes... i study in uk everyone buys their own liners tho when my housing mgt introduce composting scheme (for biodegradable food waste) they gave some free composting bags that lasted a few months

4 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Looks like in sg people already get too used of getting free plastic bags from shops, and they no need to spend money to buy bin bags to throw their rubbish. So now when shops want to practice not giving free plastic bag, and many people would not able to accept it? Lol.

Exactly what i think will happen... singaporeans dun like being told to change. households whose job to take out the rubbish belong to maids are the ones most likely to "save money" by telling maid to throw directly down chute... GG to TCs who will be everyday call out to come clean disgusting chutes