NTUC FairPrice’s ‘no plastic bag’ initiative to be extended to 25 stores islandwide for a year

Ysc3

2 hours ago, yishunite said:

Sure but it will silently transfer cost of clean rubbish disposal back to consumer who have to buy bin bags... (supermarkets will save money but they sure wont transfer the saving to us) i personally dun mind but will all my neighbors do it on the day all their plastic bag run out? 

Personally when I first move into my flat i think some ppl either kuku or got new maid or something and they throw raw food into the common chute. Stunk like shit for weeks and i pity the house living right next to the chute. From nice clean brand new chute to one i hold my nose and quickly run away from in days. I not looking forward to the day bags get banned cos i am sure this will happen within weeks as everyone plastic bag run out and they only left the reusable kind that no one want to throw waste in

Tell me about it. I just moved in and the chute is new and no stench until somebody threw bio waste without bag into the chute. I can spot fish scales and it's internal organ.

The chute was infested with houseflies and stink for a while until it was all dried up.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Beanoyip said:

Still got those clear plastic bags to put your veg/fruits kind? Can use those to throw your rubbish in

Maybe next time supermarket might curb on those clear plastic bags. You can always see people taking lots of them and put inside their own bag.. [rolleyes]

15 minutes ago, Gizmore said:

Tell me about it. I just moved in and the chute is new and no stench until somebody threw bio waste without bag into the chute. I can spot fish scales and it's internal organ.

The chute was infested with houseflies and stink for a while until it was all dried up.

Best is to build those chute inside the house like last time. Then people would not anyhow throw their rubbish inside the chute since it would indirectly dirty their own house, if the chute is infested with houseflies, roaches and stink.

Edited by 13177

Next time you buy toilet and paper rolls, they no longer come in plastic bag.

You have to bring your own or get charged or try to carry 10 rolls with your 2 hands.

• Haha! 1

All Cheers and FairPrice Xpress stores to charge for plastic bags from 2022

SINGAPORE: Customers at all 167 Cheers and FairPrice Xpress stores in Singapore will be charged for plastic bags from Jan 1 next year, NTUC FairPrice announced on Friday (Nov 12).

The plastic bag charge will also be extended at selected FairPrice supermarkets for another year.

These supermarkets are: FairPrice Xtra outlets at Hougang One and Kallang Wave Mall; FairPrice Finest outlets at 100AM, Zhong Shan Park, Paya Lebar Quarter, Changi Airport Terminal 3, Funan, Bukit Timah Plaza and Valley Point; and FairPrice outlets at Coronation Plaza and Tai Seng.

Plastic bags will cost S$0.20 and S$0.10 per transaction at the supermarkets and convenience stores respectively.

NTUC FairPrice said all proceeds will go towards supporting green initiatives including a S$180,000 contribution to the National Parks Board's OneMillionTrees movement. 

That contribution will fund the planting of 600 trees as well as nature and conservation outreach programmes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, this phrase I don't understand. They will charge you $0.20 per plastic bag, plus $0.10 per transaction.

So each item swiped (by barcode) is considered one transaction ?

So let's say you buy 10 items, that's 10 transactions ($1). So you need maybe 3 plastic bags ($0.60). That's extra $1.60.

Or is it plastic bags cost $0.20 at supermarts but $0.10 transaction charge at convenience store ? (since they use the word "respectively")

Or my English sucks nowadays.

The more you buy, the more you pay. [laugh]

But imo I think, they will lose business. When you can walk over to the nearby shops, other supermart, and buy your groceries, no one will want to pay extra.

Edited by Kb27

13 hours ago, Kb27 said:

All Cheers and FairPrice Xpress stores to charge for plastic bags from 2022

SINGAPORE: Customers at all 167 Cheers and FairPrice Xpress stores in Singapore will be charged for plastic bags from Jan 1 next year, NTUC FairPrice announced on Friday (Nov 12).

The plastic bag charge will also be extended at selected FairPrice supermarkets for another year.

These supermarkets are: FairPrice Xtra outlets at Hougang One and Kallang Wave Mall; FairPrice Finest outlets at 100AM, Zhong Shan Park, Paya Lebar Quarter, Changi Airport Terminal 3, Funan, Bukit Timah Plaza and Valley Point; and FairPrice outlets at Coronation Plaza and Tai Seng.

Plastic bags will cost S$0.20 and S$0.10 per transaction at the supermarkets and convenience stores respectively.

NTUC FairPrice said all proceeds will go towards supporting green initiatives including a S$180,000 contribution to the National Parks Board's OneMillionTrees movement. 

That contribution will fund the planting of 600 trees as well as nature and conservation outreach programmes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, this phrase I don't understand. They will charge you $0.20 per plastic bag, plus $0.10 per transaction.

So each item swiped (by barcode) is considered one transaction ?

So let's say you buy 10 items, that's 10 transactions ($1). So you need maybe 3 plastic bags ($0.60). That's extra $1.60.

Or is it plastic bags cost $0.20 at supermarts but $0.10 transaction charge at convenience store ? (since they use the word "respectively")

Or my English sucks nowadays.

The more you buy, the more you pay. [laugh]

But imo I think, they will lose business. When you can walk over to the nearby shops, other supermart, and buy your groceries, no one will want to pay extra.

Transaction is payment.

Cashier can scan 200 items...

Only pay once.

↡ Advertisement