BMW assembled in Malaysia but why not sold in Singapore

Jwee85

Is Singapore also part of the AFTA agreement?

Will such cars from Malaysia be allowed to be sold in Singapore? Why and why not? Will there be a price advantage? Or Singaporeans prefers Made in Germany supply?

https://paultan.org/2019/11/04/g30-bmw-520i-luxury-assembled-in-malaysia-now-exported-to-philippines-priced-at-rm328500-report/

G30 BMW 520i Luxury assembled in Malaysia now exported to Philippines, priced at RM328,500 – report
In BMW, Cars, International News, Local News / By Jonathan Lee / 4 November 2019 4:29 pm / 0 comment

A year after originally envisioned, BMW Group Malaysia is finally exporting CKD locally-assembled vehicles to the Philippines, as reported by AutoIndustriya.com.

During a test drive of the G30 520i Luxury in the archipelago, the publication discovered documentation in the glovebox proving that the car was built in Kulim, Kedah – a fact confirmed by the president of Philippine distributor SMC Asia Car (SMAC), Spencer Yu. The importation of Malaysian-assembled cars leverages the ASEAN Free Trade Area (AFTA) agreement, as the resulting lower import duties lead to better pricing.

“There is indeed a cost advantage on acquiring vehicles from Malaysia like the BMW 520i Luxury,” said Yu. “Taking into consideration critical factors such as production and shipping costs, we are able to realize marginal savings. SMAC then passes on these savings to the customer allowing us to have the most competitive products in the segment.”

Those savings are fairly substantial – while the 520i Luxury will be priced at “around 4.5 million pesos” (RM370,000), BMW’s participation in the upcoming SEA Games in the Philippines has allowed the company to offer limited units of the car at 3.99 million pesos (RM328,500). That’s a whopping one million pesos (RM82,200) less than the diesel-powered 520d.

Yu reassured buyers that the cars are built to the same quality standard here as they are in Germany. “Filipinos may expect that BMW vehicles assembled in Malaysia are engineered in true BMW fashion, by a team of experts appointed by our executive office in Germany. This means that our discerning buyers may now purchase the best of BMW with the best value,” he said.

The executive added that SMAC was “working towards that goal” of bringing in more models assembled in Malaysia, which include the 1 Series, 3 Series, 6 Series Gran Turismo, 7 Series, X1, X3, X4 and X5.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

19 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

not high ses 

compare to made in South Africa leh ... what is the ses level? lol

if made in msia ... then sinkie can try the europe style ... go to msia pickup car and drive back to spore ... ZERO transportation cost ... huat ah!

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 1

12 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

compare to made in South Africa leh ... what is the ses level? lol

dunno... mine German. BUT... on a more srs level, SA has been making BMWs since 1968 so I think still higher ses than mahathirland

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Good call!!

Not only Malaysia or BMW, there are also many car makes (Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Volvo, Mercedes, etc) made around the region like Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand for their domestic market. Actually we are surrounded by major car manufacturing plants and their parts suppliers. So car parts should be very very cheap. After ASEAN region, China IS the other major auto manufacturing country for any car makes. 

• Praise 1

Even if BMW made in bolehland and cheaper to bring in, u can be sure the final selling price by the AD is the same....

• Praise 2

Morning drive into MY,  afternoon need go police station report lost.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Made in MY,  lost in MY... 

Their motto will be,  " you never left us! "..[:p][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

54 minutes ago, Soya said:

Even if BMW made in bolehland and cheaper to bring in, u can be sure the final selling price by the AD is the same....

Like Made in China Volvo S90...price same.

Despite Toyota being made in Thailand, their current price here still aren't matching that of the Koreans. Back in the time when Toyota said, when Thai made Toyotas sold here, the cost savings will be pass to the consumers. When the sales of then Made in Japan Corolla made a transition to Corolla Altis here more than 10 years ago, there isn't much price difference at all, if any.

Edited by Heartbreakid

2 minutes ago, Heartbreakid said:

Despite Toyota being made in Thailand, their current price here still aren't matching that of the Koreans. Back in the time when Toyota said, when Thai made Toyotas sold here, the cost savings will be pass to the consumers. When the sales of then Made in Japan Corolla made a transition to Corolla Altis here more than 10 years ago, there isn't much price difference at all, if any.

i can only say

WHAT’S WRONG TO COLLECT MORE??????

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

2 minutes ago, Heartbreakid said:

It's along the same philosophy as "all schools are good schools"......lol

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Soya said:

singapore motto ... 

WHAT’S WRONG TO COLLECT MORE???

• Praise 1

singapore style ... cheap no one buy

expensive ... all cheong to buy

that’s why bmw/merc/audi entry model comes with BARE BONES specs ... still many buy ...

AD sibei shiok ar!

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 4

There are certain rules under AFTA for exemption of tariffs. Does not mean everything will be tax free.

Most likely it does not fall under AFTA to enjoy any substantial savings.

If not definitely will have people import them.

8 hours ago, Heartbreakid said:

What i see is those PI imported Jap made are sold cheaper than the AD imported Thai made.

↡ Advertisement