BMW assembled in Malaysia but why not sold in Singapore

Jwee85

2 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Can see the different even in Japanese brands cars ....

Example like Vios from Japan vs Vios from Thaiyota .. :wut:

Vios is not even sold in Japan for many yrs. In fact, only the Dugong Vios had a JDM equivalent known as Belta. The 1st gen Vios and the 3rd and current gen are all Asia and 3rd world country only model. 

• Haha! 1

9 hours ago, Kklim said:

Singapore used to have a CKD factory for Isuzu cars. Chup lup after a few years.

Mercedes Benz & Ford in the Mid 60's.to the early 80's.made in S'pore....I remember for Mercedes Benz,W115,116,123[before the M102 Engines] are Made in S'pore...

Maybe one can look up the sales number of Volvo sales number before and after they start selling MIC models?

I believe Singaporeans choose to pay a premium for conti cars for the brand and quality. Most of this buyers won't be happy to hear their relatives and colleagues comment your BMW is made in so and so. Know a few people that bought the F30 that have no idea it is made in South Africa.

On 11/5/2019 at 2:01 PM, Cheefarn said:

Vios is not even sold in Japan for many yrs. In fact, only the Dugong Vios had a JDM equivalent known as Belta. The 1st gen Vios and the 3rd and current gen are all Asia and 3rd world country only model. 

Dugong Vios. HAHAHA!!!

My OC call it Toyota Fishball, due to the fishball shaped bonnet. 😂

On 11/5/2019 at 9:48 AM, Cheefarn said:

Exactly. CKD is practiced widely practiced in this part of the world. Such practice is necessary for the major car brands needs to find ways to get around respective countries protectionism trade practices, to get ard punitive import taxes

CKD is different from full fledged assembly plants like those you see in Thailand. Over there major components eg engines, gb, whole chassis, body panels are built from scratch and passed on to the assembly lines for final assemblies. 

CKD= Complete Knock Down kits. Meaning major parts eg engines, gb, chassis etcare already fully built up. Body panels maybe painted onsite. The only diff is that major consumables parts eg tires, all filters, batt etc are sourced locally. These parts may or may not be local brands but they are certainly locally made. 

And one other major difference. CKD assembly lines usually have less flexibility in building different models or trim levels of the same model. This is becos the lines caters to the target market where it set up shop in and the stocks are usually meant for local consumption. CKD lines by default will be smaller in capacity as compared to full fledged assembly lines 

You are in this industry?  

Just curious why CKD units from Thailand and MY can be exported to Philippines but not to SG?  Double taxation (When parts are imported to MY and when the assembled car is exported to SG or wholesalers just won't allow it? 

7 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

You are in this industry?  

Just curious why CKD units from Thailand and MY can be exported to Philippines but not to SG?  Double taxation (When parts are imported to MY and when the assembled car is exported to SG or wholesalers just won't allow it? 

No I am not. Just so happens  to read some info about this. 

To ans your question, I can only assume the manufacturers can up the capability of their CKD lines to cater for small scale exports if required.

FYI, Mazda CKD plant at Malacca also export their products to Thailand. Mazda for some reasons, do not have a assembly plant in Thailand yet. 

I cannot be sure but seems like there is some free trade agreement between ASEAN members? That cars built in any of the ASEAN countries will enjoy some substantial tax breaks. SG is always the odd one out for we contribute NOTHING to ASEAN other than our big mouth only, and we tax anything that comes with motorized wheels..  

• Praise 1

On 11/4/2019 at 5:15 PM, Jwee85 said:

Is Singapore also part of the AFTA agreement?Will such cars from Malaysia be allowed to be sold in Singapore? Why and why not? Will there be a price advantage? Or Singaporeans prefers Made in Germany supply?

Yes - local market prefers "Made in Germany" products over those that originates from the "3rd World". Hard Truth. The article itself alread quote the perception everyone is aware of.

FTA does not mean Bolehland made BMWs are given entitlement to SG market, not counting the fact BMW already has plants in four other ASEAN countries, most of them for domestic market with exports targeted at lower-income countries.

BTW, BMW's Asia HQ is in SG, so I guess management knows how different SG market is compare with other ASEAN members.

↡ Advertisement