If Name different between Passport and Air-ticket

Heartlander

Would like to ask if any here have this bad experience of making mistake when buying air-ticket online to share, specifically is putting incomplete name. Eg Adam Tan Ah Cow became Adam Tan, everything else correct.

Was hit with this when buying air-ticket to USA through Expedia recently. After taking long time to reply, its customer service team finally got back that as multiple airlines (Lufthansa and SIA) involved, have to forfeit the air-ticket. Really abit sian as the ticket quite costly. Really expensive lesson to go through.

The official reply was to go airport early to try to use the current ticket to board. In case got rejected, then buy another replacement ticket on the spot. But this is not really something acceptable for me, as too many uncertainties already. Firstly if rejected outright, replacement ticket is going to cost more even if available. If can go, then have to lun for another 3 flights for the whole trip including return leg. Really frustrating. But actually maybe need to lun only for 2 flights, as if caught during return flights, will be deported FOC right haha.

So if anyone has the misfortunate to go through this kind of bad experience, please let me know if possible for happy ending aka without buying another air-ticket. Please share only true experience if have, as time is running out fast. Many thanks in advance.

In case you are clueless, please do not reply as I am sian enough already thanks. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I kena this before. My name was complete, but one letter spell wrongly. I didnt notice until about to board. LL i was told i cldnt get on the flight. After settling with airline they reissue new ticket on the next available flight at no cost but was damn f**d up

• Praise 2

Agreed with Mockngbrd, talk to the airlines.

Few months back I bought an air ticket for my domestic helper via Expedia. During booking, the full name appeared was different from the passport, thus I swapped the last name and first name. After submitting the booking, I received an official confirmation from AirAsia. However, the full name was different from what I submitted on Expedia. I contacted AirAsia online chat support. They asked for my bookig reference and a scanned image of my domestic helper's passport, the issue was resolved within an hour.

• Praise 4

2 hours ago, Heartlander said:

Would like to ask if any here have this bad experience of making mistake when buying air-ticket online to share, specifically is putting incomplete name. Eg Adam Tan Ah Cow became Adam Tan, everything else correct.

Was hit with this when buying air-ticket to USA through Expedia recently. After taking long time to reply, its customer service team finally got back that as multiple airlines (Lufthansa and SIA) involved, have to forfeit the air-ticket. Really abit sian as the ticket quite costly. Really expensive lesson to go through.

The official reply was to go airport early to try to use the current ticket to board. In case got rejected, then buy another replacement ticket on the spot. But this is not really something acceptable for me, as too many uncertainties already. Firstly if rejected outright, replacement ticket is going to cost more even if available. If can go, then have to lun for another 3 flights for the whole trip including return leg. Really frustrating. But actually maybe need to lun only for 2 flights, as if caught during return flights, will be deported FOC right haha.

So if anyone has the misfortunate to go through this kind of bad experience, please let me know if possible for happy ending aka without buying another air-ticket. Please share only true experience if have, as time is running out fast. Many thanks in advance.

In case you are clueless, please do not reply as I am sian enough already thanks. 

Generally airlines are pretty strict about the names, what you had stated is you gave partial name instead of full name. For air tickets that’s a pretty big no no. You need to follow the name as per your passport, if it’s too long and truncated that is a different story and airlines can understand.

In your shoes, if I can’t get Expedia to change/update my name, I would rebook if the flights are important. This is unlikely to have happened if you went via a regular agent, cause they would have requested for your passport copy to confirm the details are submitted properly.

Well, lesson learnt..... I wouldn’t put my last dollar in thinking I can convince airlines to accept my partial name, they are very strict now with all the air security incidents happening since 911

• Praise 3

How much is the ticket?

You can consider getting a dead poll done and then changing your passport to match the new name 🤣

• Haha! 1

i made mistake with SQ or Silkier once.  They could amend, for a fee (i think was US$25) which i got them to waive.  i raise the issue very shortly after booking. I really don't understand what the fuss is with the airlines, if it is changing like one alphabet or order of first and last names, where it is self-evident that it is a clerical error.  i would think some system administrator, based out of India probably, just need to go into the system and amend the name.

• Praise 2

change name is like change passenger, depends on T&C for what the charges are. If buy cheap ticket that dun allow this or that, then as good as cancel and buy new one.

9 hours ago, yishunite said:

I kena this before. My name was complete, but one letter spell wrongly. I didnt notice until about to board. LL i was told i cldnt get on the flight. After settling with airline they reissue new ticket on the next available flight at no cost but was damn f**d up

Good that you could get replacement ticket FOC, but I am sure it has already wreck your plan especially if you travelling with your family. Then the finger pointing will be difficult to manage. If going on road trip and each day driving for few hundred km with lodging booked, then it will be hosayliao haha. I have been holding back booking of lodging due to this issue.

• Praise 1

Names swap is not an issue. But they have to be in full as far as Airlines are concerned. If Family name and given names are not entered correctly, cannot claim miles. When a foreign office book my tickets, they always screw up as our passports have Family names first and as per western norm, it is other way around.

I could travel with that screw up, but I had always problem in claiming miles.

• Praise 3

7 hours ago, Kusje said:

How much is the ticket?

You can consider getting a dead poll done and then changing your passport to match the new name 🤣

Not much by the standard here lah. Just enough for a major servicing under AD for owners of C class.

1 minute ago, Steptronic said:

Names swap is not an issue. But they have to be in full as far as Airlines are concerned. If Family name and given names are not entered correctly, cannot claim miles. When a foreign office book my tickets, they always screw up as our passports have Family names first and as per western norm, it is other way around.

I could travel with that screw up, but I had always problem in claiming miles.

This I agree as personally experienced that. Total took me about 3 months to get the miles back under SQ, and have to provide copies of boarding pass as travelling through partner airline. Very troublesome. 

Ya our name in passport is Tan Ah Cow but some airline boarding pass print out become Ah Cow Tan...this worrying me

although so far do not face any problem yet.....

• Praise 1

15 minutes ago, Si4dr said:

Ya our name in passport is Tan Ah Cow but some airline boarding pass print out become Ah Cow Tan...this worrying me

although so far do not face any problem yet.....

This is no problem lah. 

Adam Tan Ah Cow would appear as Tan/Adam Ah Cow.

• Haha! 1