If Name different between Passport and Air-ticket

Heartlander

On 11/6/2019 at 10:26 PM, Heartlander said:

Would like to ask if any here have this bad experience of making mistake when buying air-ticket online to share, specifically is putting incomplete name. Eg Adam Tan Ah Cow became Adam Tan, everything else correct.

Was hit with this when buying air-ticket to USA through Expedia recently. After taking long time to reply, its customer service team finally got back that as multiple airlines (Lufthansa and SIA) involved, have to forfeit the air-ticket. Really abit sian as the ticket quite costly. Really expensive lesson to go through.

The official reply was to go airport early to try to use the current ticket to board. In case got rejected, then buy another replacement ticket on the spot. But this is not really something acceptable for me, as too many uncertainties already. Firstly if rejected outright, replacement ticket is going to cost more even if available. If can go, then have to lun for another 3 flights for the whole trip including return leg. Really frustrating. But actually maybe need to lun only for 2 flights, as if caught during return flights, will be deported FOC right haha.

So if anyone has the misfortunate to go through this kind of bad experience, please let me know if possible for happy ending aka without buying another air-ticket. Please share only true experience if have, as time is running out fast. Many thanks in advance.

In case you are clueless, please do not reply as I am sian enough already thanks. 

Yes ecperince before on SQ due to change in online booking system used in my previous workplace so my full passport name wasnt updated.  Luckily i checked a day before the flight but paid USD50 for SQ to reissue.

↡ Advertisement

Really depends on airline, you can call them up to ask them to indicate, because if you request to change, they will charge you admin fee for it.

12 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

But that's my point. 

You get to choose your name order. It doesn't have to match your national/birth ID documents in order (although the names must match in spelling, but hyphens and commas may be omitted for standardisation). Then all your travel documents will be permanently standardised to this name order you've chosen. This will be your "travelling" name from now on. You can use family name first, AMDK can use given name first (or you can be weird and write whatever order you want). Since the terms given/first and family/sur-name are never used in any travel document or ticket application by broad agreement, and there is only one long field for full name, there's no issue. 

So (for example) Singapore passport may no longer have the same name order as NRIC. No biggie, even the passport number no longer matches to NRIC, they're now separate documents. And it is still a secure identification system since your national ID name is stored in a national database while your travel name is stored internationally (and nationally, if Singapore wants to bother linking it in their database). 

If you insist on looking at it from the perspective of "cultural superiority", it's the AMDK that are being asked to cede theirs since right now we're being strictured by their first/middle/last name system. 

If a person name “Zhang Mei Ling” then written “ Ling Mei Zhang” ?!? Doesn’t this can be a different person? If just name without last/surname to differential it? 

1 hour ago, D3badge said:

If a person name “Zhang Mei Ling” then written “ Ling Mei Zhang” ?!? Doesn’t this can be a different person? If just name without last/surname to differential it? 

I already said. You choose once and fix for life. Only for travel (all related documents). Not national ID 

1 hour ago, Kusje said:

congrats. luckily you did not have to change your name to match the air ticket names.

Thanks. But name change is not an option as need to pay lawyer fees and the cost would be similar to getting a new ticket, not to mention the inconvenience that ensue to do rectification for those not done automatically. The worse part is that automatically need to do new passport that will come with new passport number issued, so need to ask Expediia to re-issue new ticket, but it will reject and the effort would be for nothing haha.

2 hours ago, Heartlander said:

Thanks. But name change is not an option as need to pay lawyer fees and the cost would be similar to getting a new ticket, not to mention the inconvenience that ensue to do rectification for those not done automatically. The worse part is that automatically need to do new passport that will come with new passport number issued, so need to ask Expediia to re-issue new ticket, but it will reject and the effort would be for nothing haha.

You know it is a joke right? I wouldn't expect someone to change their name over a few thousand. Maybe I would over 10k.

Anyway, since when does expedia need your passport number? 

32 minutes ago, Kusje said:

You know it is a joke right? I wouldn't expect someone to change their name over a few thousand. Maybe I would over 10k.

Anyway, since when does expedia need your passport number? 

My bad. Think I missed up with another matter about ESTA.

6 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

I already said. You choose once and fix for life. Only for travel (all related documents). Not national ID 

Hard to get all countries agree to allow their system talk to each other. Same example China will never allow surname behind due to cultural, heritage and pride .

will the American , British, German , French , Italian wants to change ? Indirectly mean kow tow to China as some will perceive. Not so simple on global arena 

9 minutes ago, D3badge said:

Hard to get all countries agree to allow their system talk to each other. Same example China will never allow surname behind due to cultural, heritage and pride .

will the American , British, German , French , Italian wants to change ? Indirectly mean kow tow to China as some will perceive. Not so simple on global arena 

I thought his proposal is to allow the fellow to put whatever he wants according to what is written on the passport? (no care if it is last name or first name)

12 minutes ago, Kusje said:

I thought his proposal is to allow the fellow to put whatever he wants according to what is written on the passport? (no care if it is last name or first name)

Then where is the check and control between each country? If this is implement I find terrorist, terrorist financing, fraud , money laundering etc will be easier. If you use system like “world check” etc to check one personal background such idea will increase the permutations thus make it harder to keep track of people 

and extra layer for all government system to tag Tan ah Kok Doggie is actually doggie ah Kok Tan or ah Kok doggie Tan for this person 

Edited by D3badge

From my frequent flying experience, this is what's been working fine for me. 

Passport name: Armani Chow Ah Beng 

Make sure fill up as... 

First name: Ah Beng Armani 

Last name: Chow 

Airline will print ticket as: Ah Beng Armani Chow 

Sometimes travel agency system tends to combine cheena first name as Ahbeng Chow but this has not caused any issue so far. 

I think sequence of first/last name don't need to match exactly between ticket and passport, but the spelling of the names must match 100%.

Edited by Jellandross
↡ Advertisement