Grab assisting Stomper who allegedly lost $4,151 from GrabPay after losing his phone, police investigating

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Grab assisting Stomper who allegedly lost $4,151 from GrabPay after losing his phone, police investigating

source: https://stomp.straitstimes.com/singapore-seen/grab-assisting-stomper-who-allegedly-lost-4151-from-grabpay-after-losing-his-phone

new.jpg?itok=hdxYKzzr

Grab is assisting a Stomper who allegedly had $4151 transferred from his GrabPay and into other people's accounts after losing his phone.

Stomper Loh shared screenshots of the transactions and told Stomp: "I went out for supper with my friends at about 12.30am on Nov 4.

"We were at a coffee shop at the junction of Lorong 15 Geylang and Sims Avenue. 

"After about an hour, one of my friends gave us a lift to somewhere in Paya Lebar where I flagged a taxi.

"Another friend of mine took the cab with me and he was the first to alight. 

"I reached home slightly after 2am and noticed my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 was missing about half an hour later.

"I was tracing my phone's location and found that it was somewhere in Tampines. When I rang my phone, no one answered but shortly after, the phone was switched off.

"When I was going through my email, I saw a message that said someone was trying to change the email address linked to my Grab account. Grab also sent me an email asking if I was the one who requested the change.

"Grab also shared the new email that someone was trying to link to my account.

"At that point, I called my telco to disable my SIM card and called Grab to suspend my account. 

"The hacker had even changed the passwords on several of my Gmail accounts. As of now, I'm still struggling to get one of my accounts back because the phone number associated with the account has been changed.

"I made a police report and also requested for a replacement SIM card from my telco on the same day I lost my phone.

"I didn't know about any money being transferred from my GrabPay account until Nov 7. I wasn't that concerned about anything fishy that could happen since my phone is locked with a thumbprint and passcode.

"When I logged in, I discovered some transactions had been made and immediately called Grab. They told me that someone will be in touch with me.

"There were two of my bank cards associated with my Grab account. I didn't know that people could top-up money into GrabPay without requiring further verification.

"I contacted my banks and they told me to make a police report.

"On Monday (Nov 11), I received a call from Grab saying that they're working with the police to get to the bottom of this case.

"I also got a call from the police who were trying to gather more information from me. 

"I know that my phone was stolen and it's not that I had misplaced it. 

"If I had misplaced it, I don't know how these people could be able to hack into it since fingerprint and passcode required. Seems to me that these people are experts.

"I remember that the last place I was using my phone was at the coffeeshop.

"I'm just wondering how is their security feature so easy to defeat. Just imagine if someone else has your phone. 

"I don't know if I'll be liable for these transactions. Is there any fraud protection? E-payments like these could be dangerous.

In response to a Stomp query, a Grab spokesperson said: "We are aware of this case and have reached out to Mr Loh to provide assistance.

"As police investigations are ongoing, we are unable to comment further."

The police confirmed with Stomp that a report was lodged and investigations are ongoing.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Not difficult if the phone was unlocked at the point of being stolen. All OTPs would have been sent to that phone itself. CC verifications, PW change verifications, etc. All SMSed to that phone. All the thief needs to do is switch his accounts to another phone number, use the OTPs sent to the stolen phone, thereafter don't need that stolen phone anymore. 

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 1

Moral of story is that is why I don't fully subscribe to payment using phone. Online banking is as far as I go. Whatever on my phone, if I really have to link some card to it, will use debit card with limited amount.

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, Sosaria said:

Moral of story is that is why I don't fully subscribe to payment using phone. Online banking is as far as I go. Whatever on my phone, if I really have to link some card to it, will use debit card with limited amount.

This is why e-wallet in Singapore don't fly lo.