New Mid Size Sedan All Comes with Bigger Rims/Wheels?

wangxiaodi

2 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

Renault Scenic wheels are big because the rotors are huge.

And the tyre size is also extremely unique. 195/55R20. Pretty hard to find in SG I suppose.

is it 195? i thought i saw 215.....i could be wrong

hard to find = expensive, but does look good, haha. even better on the smaller Scenic

↡ Advertisement

11 minutes ago, SZ_ford said:

is it 195? i thought i saw 215.....i could be wrong

hard to find = expensive, but does look good, haha. even better on the smaller Scenic

Yes it's 195. Inspected one in detail during ICT :D

• Praise 1

15 hours ago, wangxiaodi said:

Hi, i notice now a lot of new mid size sedan is equipped with bigger rims. All looks at least 17inch. Example, the older K3, cerato 2018,

And i see the New Avante 2019 also no more 15 inch rim. Those Mazda 3 also looks to have bigger rim and tyres....

Or was i wrong?

b&b sedans like mazda 3 with 18 inch rims gonna cost half a leg to replace in future. tyres are expensive too. 

Edited by ferrytales

1 hour ago, Phang said:

I know it is an unfair comparison but I can't help it.... haha

the cars that take corners like its on rails have the opposite of what people think regarding to tire sidewall height and rim size

cov.jpg

Well if you watch slow-mo clips of F1 cars taking corners, actually the tyre wall bounces, flexes and vibrates tremendously, especially when tackling kerbs. Its a nightmare for the chassis engineers to correctly tune the suspension to account for this variable and inconsistent tyre behaviour. 

Anyway, the F1 organisers are keen to change the rim size from 13" to 18" in 2021, but more for the purpose of looks than performance. The F1 engineers would just have to tune the suspension to adapt to the lesser compliance of the thinner tyre walls.

Read this: https://www.racefans.net/2018/08/08/revolutionary-wheels-why-f1-going-18-inch-will-change-everything/

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 2

21 minutes ago, ferrytales said:

b&b sedans like mazda 3 with 18 inch rims gonna cost half a leg to replace in future. tyres are expensive too. 

looks come at a price, haha

i remember i was looking for 225/45/18 tyres....about $180 from Goodyear and yokohama. still not too bad

48 minutes ago, ferrytales said:

Not too ex these days. About $190 ea for the latest Goodyear AS5 and Dunlop VE303. 

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Lala81 said:

These are compact category. Not mid sized. Refer to above.

sgcarmart categorized it under mid size? or did i see wrongly?

anyway. mine is 1.6 elantra. currently on 225/45R 17..

bigger and thicker rim certainly made the car looks much better. of course these are just superficial la. But i think it does help when roaming on msia highway going on 130-140km or above..so much comfy and stable....

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is just sharing only. Cos i remember alot of new sedan car in the past come with basic smaller rims like 15inch.

now a lot of the compacted or mid size sedan...already comes with bigger rim like 16 or 17 or even 18. 

But now, come to think of it, if rim diameter is large, 17 and above, but the width is too narrow, like 205 and below.....doesn't look good.

just personal superficial opinion.

1 hour ago, wangxiaodi said:

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is just sharing only. Cos i remember alot of new sedan car in the past come with basic smaller rims like 15inch.

now a lot of the compacted or mid size sedan...already comes with bigger rim like 16 or 17 or even 18. 

But now, come to think of it, if rim diameter is large, 17 and above, but the width is too narrow, like 205 and below.....doesn't look good.

just personal superficial opinion.

It is like altis 17 inch rims profile?

8 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

Renault Scenic wheels are big because the rotors are huge.

And the tyre size is also extremely unique. 195/55R20. Pretty hard to find in SG I suppose.

Surprised alot of Grab used this car,i wonder how many Tyres they put up for Tender.?

2 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Back in 2013,my Mazda 6,2.5 is the only Japanese Car,came standard with 19"' Rims.

Back in the 90s my high-performance Lancia Them Turbo ie wore 195/60R15 rubbers, which were a big deal then. Normal Thema had 185/70R14.

Still, it was a major improvement from my first car which had a more comical 165/70R10 tyre 😂😀

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 1

11 hours ago, Kangadrool said:

60 or 65 profile still looks great. A big rim with thin tyre wall actually look not only unproportionate, but horrible too.

there is a reason why sportcars usually have big rim and low profile tyre.

but then to each its own....

@Toeknee_33 my first car had a tyre size of just 145/70R12... and 26'?! Bicycle meh...

GM Design Boss Predicts A Future Hellscape Filled With '24- And 26-Inch Wheels'

w6ykkzhfh0haq8pgrdh8.jpg

The big-wheel trend is real. It seems as though with each year that goes by, bigger and bigger wheels aren’t just offered as options anymore, they’ve become the standard. And it doesn’t really seem like that’s going to stop, either. Not if General Motors vice president of global design Michael Simcoe’s prediction comes true, anyway.

Simcoe sat down for the Brembo Red podcast earlier this year to chat about future automotive design cues. A large diameter wheel and tire, according to him, helps with proportion. Especially as the cars and SUVs just keep getting larger and larger.

“Where we are now, an 18-inch wheel is a small wheel,” Simcoe asserts. A “24- or 26-inch wheel” is where we’re headed, he predicts.

Why? Why is such a large wheel necessary? I understand they can add to the aesthetic of the car (which is by itself debatable), but there are so many other practical drawbacks. Big wheels worsen overall ride quality and handling. They reduce interior volume because then you need huge wheel arches and housings.

And they’re just heavier overall. The Lamborghini Urus I drove last year had optional 23-inch wheels. They weighed roughly 35 pounds more than the 19-inch set on a Mustang GT Performance Pack 2. It’s such unnecessary additional weight.

We don’t need bigger wheels. We don’t need cars to keep getting bigger. We don’t need any of that stuff. Remember when cars had 13- and 14-inch wheels? And they looked great because the car was also proportionately smaller? That was the good stuff.

• Praise 5

On 11/14/2019 at 11:40 AM, Lala81 said:

Mid sized sedan is executive saloon.
I think let's clear this up.

Subcompact - Mz 2, vios, City, Polo
Compact - Elantra, mz3, Corolla, golf/Octavia, A4/3series/C class etc
Mid size - Mz6, Camry, Accord, 5 series, E class
Full sized sedans are seldom here in singapore by the non european brands. That would be the toyota avalon/ES300 and the usual towkay vehicles (S class, 7 series, A8).

Yeah usually an upsized rim usually look better. Unless it looks gaudy.

u using hertz and avis classification 😜

but you are right on Compact classification.

some will dispute 5-er and E Class shld be full size. they look huge anyway

in SG, if the wheels come std from overseas manufacturer, you pay 275% more for them too. i rather my car comes with 15" steel, then i can drive to change to something i want.

Edited by Vegas

53 minutes ago, Vegas said:

u using hertz and avis classification 😜

but you are right on Compact classification.

some will dispute 5-er and E Class shld be full size. they look huge anyway

in SG, if the wheels come std from overseas manufacturer, you pay 275% more for them too. i rather my car comes with 15" steel, then i can drive to change to something i want.

I thought pretty universal in american and european car reviews as well.

Malaysia has the Segment A-D and beyond vehicles.

https://www.carbase.my/all-segment

↡ Advertisement