New Mid Size Sedan All Comes with Bigger Rims/Wheels?

wangxiaodi

13 hours ago, GTO-1 said:

Spoke to an SE about the scenic and grand scenic having 20" rims and a weird width.  He said that the thinner wheel helps with fuel economy (which is true) and the bigger diameter makes the car look in proportion (maybe true), and also 195/55R20's are stocked quite commonly (not true). 

If I recall it's 20x6.5, which is really disproportionate. Weirdly it also uses a 114.3x5 PCD, which is more common in Asian cars and not consistent across the Renault range. 

I'll be honest, the side profile looks damn good with the 20" wheel. But from the rear, it's a joke when you see how narrow the tyre is in proportion to the rest of the car.

↡ Advertisement

3 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

Famous Youtube "Engineering Explains" broke 2 of his Tesla 20" wheels driving over pothole roads. He spent something like 5k to replace them. Eventually changed to 18" to save his wallet.

The interesting part is that he subsequently did a bake-off between the same car with large wheels and small wheels (same overall tyre diameter). The small wheels setup beats the large wheels setup hands down in terms of acceleration.

The latter point is a really complex to narrow down to larger wheels = lower acceleration. 

It's near impossible to get exact diameter, there usually is some % descrepency, noting a small diameter wheel results in faster acceleration. 

Also a weight difference is likely a major factor, assuming the 20" wheel isn't a forged/lightweight wheel, then it makes sense since there is more unsprung weight. 

• Praise 1

These big rims and tyres..especially those thinner one like 45 to 40 and below...easily had their tyre lining damaged.. a little of knocks or dent or impact...you can actually hear it while you drive already.That is the down side.though it does make your car looks different than normal stock and smaller rims...

7 hours ago, GTO-1 said:

The latter point is a really complex to narrow down to larger wheels = lower acceleration. 

It's near impossible to get exact diameter, there usually is some % descrepency, noting a small diameter wheel results in faster acceleration. 

Also a weight difference is likely a major factor, assuming the 20" wheel isn't a forged/lightweight wheel, then it makes sense since there is more unsprung weight. 

Yes the conclusion in video is a difference in rim+tyre weight which is very significant to car performance as it is unsprung and rotational weight.

See many comments in US car enthusiast sites that also say the trend of huge rims are idiotic as they are 

-more expensive

-less comfortable

-slower

-more prone to damage 

11 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

Yes the conclusion in video is a difference in rim+tyre weight which is very significant to car performance as it is unsprung and rotational weight.

See many comments in US car enthusiast sites that also say the trend of huge rims are idiotic as they are 

-more expensive

-less comfortable

-slower

-more prone to damage 

- Poor people are not expected to go for such giant wheels. :D

- Upgrade the suspension, replace all springs and shocks with air suspension. Problem solved. You can lower and rise the car height too. The loud piss sound can impress your date anytime

- Aiyo, just spend more $$ to hot rod the engine. Port and polish the heads, bore out the cylinder to increase engine capacity, install bigger turbo, remap the ECU, install Nitrous Oxide system Upgrade GB etc. So many things u can do,

- Drive carefully and avoid potholes. Do not drive to bolehland B roads.

12 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

-more expensive

-less comfortable

-slower

-more prone to damage 

pt1 can be linked to pt3. Forged or flow formed rims will cost more than cast rim but can sometimes weigh lighter even if they are bigger.

so not necessary slower

22 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

I'll be honest, the side profile looks damn good with the 20" wheel. But from the rear, it's a joke when you see how narrow the tyre is in proportion to the rest of the car.

to be fair, big and narrow rim, like 19', 20' with width 225+- is becoming more common in alot of new big suv. see harrier , qashqai2.0.

Edited by Beregond

4 hours ago, Beregond said:

to be fair, big and narrow rim, like 19', 20' with width 225+- is becoming more common in alot of new big suv. see harrier , qashqai2.0.

That's true.  19x7 is quite common on the QQ + CX5.  18x7.5 is the stock rim on the CRV.  The only non-conti SUV (I can think of) that comes with 20" is the CX9, which is 20x8.5 I believe.  That's fairly wide and could you believe that the rim is around 17-18kg each?!  That's excluding the tyre.  

Still, nothing comes close to the scenic at 20x6.5, which is one of the weirdest wheel configurations I've seen.

• Haha! 1

53 minutes ago, GTO-1 said:

That's true.  19x7 is quite common on the QQ + CX5.  18x7.5 is the stock rim on the CRV.  The only non-conti SUV (I can think of) that comes with 20" is the CX9, which is 20x8.5 I believe.  That's fairly wide and could you believe that the rim is around 17-18kg each?!  That's excluding the tyre.  

Still, nothing comes close to the scenic at 20x6.5, which is one of the weirdest wheel configurations I've seen.

Well prob Renault wanted customers to remember those classic cars from the 30s and older. Back then 18-19in wooden spoke wheels were common but tire width is as wide as a bicycle tire only

Don't forget.. very low profile ones can't take bumps well. 

Direct hit or into pothole and u will have a dented rim, as there's not enough rubber at the sidewall to cushion the impact.

And yes.. Acceleration will be impacted also. U need bigger torque to move it.

• Praise 1

On 11/22/2019 at 9:08 AM, Beregond said:

Pickup truck like Ford Ranger is using 265/60 18

3 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

Pickup truck like Ford Ranger is using 265/60 18

that is the original intent of SUV for offroad use. infact all suv sold locally 10 years ago use similar sizes, wide high profile with thread design for mud etc.

but soon they realise alot of suv owner that drive in city dun like those tyres n rims, and they upgrade the rims themself .

so it only make sense for carmaker themself to earn from this area. and it dun make sense for suv driving in city to be equipped with something like 265.60.18

and i would say most suv sold today is being use for city useage, they want nice big rim, quiet tyres and low FC.

Speak to some tyres shop before, those uncles had problem keep stock for all these new sizes coming up. 😑 

• Praise 1

Just now, Beregond said:

that is the original intent of SUV for offroad use. infact all suv sold locally 10 years ago use similar sizes, wide high profile with thread design for mud etc.

but soon they realise alot of suv owner that drive in city dun like those tyres n rims, and they upgrade the rims themself .

so it only make sense for carmaker themself to earn from this area. and it dun make sense for suv driving in city to be equipped with something like 265.60.18

and i would say most suv sold today is being use for city useage, they want nice big rim, quiet tyres and low FC.

Speak to some tyres shop before, those uncles had problem keeping stock for all these new sizes coming up. 😑 

16 minutes ago, Beregond said:

Speak to some tyres shop before, those uncles had problem keep stock for all these new sizes coming up. 😑 

A lot of tyre shop don’t know that pickup truck and SUV has different load index. It’s not interchangeable.

For pickup truck tyre, there are 3 types. MT, AT and HT. For city use, can always use HT.

I always drive pickup using 265/60 18 AT tyre. It’s not noisy at all.  FC a bit bad as it is bi-turbo.

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

A lot of tyre shop don’t know that pickup truck and SUV has different load index. It’s not interchangeable.

For pickup truck tyre, there are 3 types. MT, AT and HT. For city use, can always use HT.

I always drive pickup using 265/60 18 AT tyre. It’s not noisy at all.  FC a bit bad as it is bi-turbo.

but if u compare for example the more quiet bridgestone dueler dhps to say bridgestone turanza t005a both sold by local bs dealer, the dueler will be much nosier.

but if u compare them to MT or AT  tyres of course they are more quiet.

anw the trench of big and small width tyres will only appear in SUV, i doubt it will shift to real offroad vehicle like pickup trucks

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1